I saw 3 owls today, my new place is awesome!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:14 pm

It looked like two adults and a fledgling or juvenile, it still had some fluffy baby bird feathers but was pretty big may have started flying. But yeah they were just sitting in the trees, near a path that goes by my apartment complex, not sure exactly what kind they looked like perhaps short eared owls or spotted owls(based on trying to find ones that look similar with google searching).

It was cool though, noticed them because someone was looking up at the trees at them trying to get a phone picture, so I followed their gaze to see what they were looking at. And it was one of the owls, but we continued walking a bit, it was when we headed back we looked to see if it was still there and then noticed the other two. Then as we were watching a family parents with some younger kids came by and saw we were looking at the trees so they looked and saw one, and we pointed out that there were two more and them continued on our way so they could have a chance to observe them.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 10:10 pm

That is cool :D and especially cool to be able to share the experience with some people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 10:17 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
That is cool :D and especially cool to be able to share the experience with some people.

Yeah I thought it was cool, I figure I would have been super happy to see something like that as a kid. So hopefully they got a good look to. When I looked back after going further up the trail looked like they camped their wagon they were pulling their kids in to sit in the grassy hill across from the area with the owls to watch them. So I do hope it was a cool thing for them to see.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:55 pm

I've probably seen fewer than 10 owls in my whole life. They're kinda rare to spot, and always neat to see when I do. Most recently I saw one swoop down right in front of me on a University campus - so cool. Back when I was ~17 I rode my bike around the curve of a trail and came nearly face to face with a big snowy owl - we were both a bit shocked, and then I just passed by and the owl stayed put.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 3:13 am

I heard what I thought was an owl hooting once, while hiking on a nature trail while evening was setting in. But Ive never seen one.