UC Scientists Discover Drug That Won't Cause Hallucinations

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 2:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Since you are both boffins on this topic, is there a difference in the THC concentration of hydroponically grown Vs soil grown cannabis? I had a friend back in uni who swore "hydros" (as he called them) made you trip.

I've never noticed any inherent differences when smoking stuff that's hydroponically grown.

I've experienced some pretty substantial highs when my tolerance has dropped because of a lack of access, and similar when mixing weed with synthetic cannabinoids.

Beyond that the most substantial difference in experience I've noticed is when over-indulgence is really encouraged. Most people self-regulate to an extent.

I know that pot of the right strain grown under ideal circumstances can have more THC than average pot grown under less than ideal circumstances, I know back in the day outdoor crops sometimes had issues related to failure to cull male plants, but overall I don't buy that hydro will magically get you way higher. Even hash oil won't make you trip balls if you smoke regularly.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 2:46 am

Ok that makes sense. I was curious if you could manipulate the leaf concentration of THC using hydroponics (or even agar gels) as the liquid growth media can be chemically altered to induce growth of hormones like auxins or gibberelic acid which halt/increase stem/leaf/root growth.

For the growers I assume the idea is to increase growth to harvest quicker and more frequently but also make the buds/leaves more potent.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 2:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
not everyone wants to run around thinking their nose is a kangaroo and the moon is a dog.

What drug does that? :chin:

Mushies

You name it I've done it, I've never experienced that effect. 8)

It's the truth!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ok that makes sense. I was curious if you could manipulate the leaf concentration of THC using hydroponics (or even agar gels) as the liquid growth media can be chemically altered to induce growth of hormones like auxins or gibberelic acid which halt/increase stem/leaf/root growth.

For the growers I assume the idea is to increase growth to harvest quicker and more frequently but also make the buds/leaves more potent.

Actually thats got nothing to do with original idea behind inventing hydroponics.

Hydroponics is just growing same quality plants but without soil ...like you might have to if you're hiding your crop in your basement. Not to manipulate the plant growth. Or that was the original idea. Its just to save space, to grow indoors, or to save money by increasing other inputs to make up no use of soil to grow the same quality plants. And not get caught.

If you grow pot outdoors in the soil of your backyard- if the cops dont bust you for it- the nieghbors will steal your plants.

They do other things to manipulate the quality of the product itself. Like DNA. Both the old fashioned way that farmers of every crop have done for thousands of years of saving the seeds of the best plants to plant next season, and using cutting edge high gene tech as well. Making designer genes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:03 am

GGPViper wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
not everyone wants to run around thinking their nose is a kangaroo and the moon is a dog.

What drug does that? :chin:

Mushies

You name it I've done it, I've never experienced that effect. 8)

It's the truth!

I suppose that Viper meant "not everyone wants to 'hear the grass grow'"( as Pink Floyd put it). Or atleast they dont want to while at the board meeting at their job, even if they do want the other medicinal effects.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:38 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Actually thats got nothing to do with original idea behind inventing hydroponics.

Hydroponics is just growing same quality plants but without soil ...like you might have to if you're hiding your crop in your basement. Not to manipulate the plant growth. Or that was the original idea. Its just to save space, to grow indoors, or to save money by increasing other inputs to make up no use of soil to grow the same quality plants. And not get caught.

If you grow pot outdoors in the soil of your backyard- if the cops dont bust you for it- the nieghbors will steal your plants.

They do other things to manipulate the quality of the product itself. Like DNA. Both the old fashioned way that farmers of every crop have done for thousands of years of saving the seeds of the best plants to plant next season, and using cutting edge high gene tech as well. Making designer genes.

The difference is that soil bacteria can break down chemicals before the plant has a chance to use it. Secondly organics in the soil chelate chemcials making them unavailable to the plant roots. In hydroponics the plant roots take up the chemicals directly.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 4:26 am

I'm actually not against this but... it sounds like you could just say they came up with a new 'nootropic'. For example Lion's Mane can do a lot to restore brain health, is that sort of what we're talking about here?

The other thing with cancelling out the trip portion of a psychedelic, most of the meaningful sticking power of positive change seems to require having a mystical experience and there are probably biological reasons for that. Someone who I think has done a good job (in my books as someone whose had a good amount of experience with these) of explaining why this would be the case in his 'annealing' analogy is Andres Gomez Emilssion.

I'd actually like to unpack that last point a bit more, Andre's analogy is a bit like this: that chemical energy level of the 'trip' on the nervous system is like heat applied to metal. If there are neurological trauma patterns you can liken those to crystallizations in metal that annealing or heat treatment would melt and then recrystallize in a more uniform pattern to its surroundings (the double-edged sword of course - too much in the way of high-dose psychedelics could melt things you probably don't want to melt). What that also does, and I think this is where mystical experience comes in, is being able to then have both cognitive and subconscious processes work on a problem at the same time with a lot more resources to do so than they usually would, have an epiphany and if you're lucky that's that - it's fixed.

I think that annealing analogy works well both for psilocybin and possibly as well to some degree for MDMA although the experience for the two is quite different.

That sort of raises the question though - will this drug be able to apply that sort of process, ie. will it be useful for trauma, or will it be just another cool cognitive enhancer?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 9:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Where's the fun in that?

Beat me to it. :lol:

Third'eyed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 10:59 am

It’s all about THC level, not how it’s grown.It is easier to get a quality product from indoors.No insects, mold or animals munching on the plant.
Easier to control how much nutrients a plant is getting also.
I smoked some 30% thc weed and for a millisecond a large stump did resemble a kangaroo.
I’ve never had a bad trip on mushrooms or LSD.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 3:04 pm

But what happens if you have LSD/Psilocybin/Cannabis induced hallucinations in Australia?

After all, Australia already *has* kangaroos... :scratch:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 4:00 pm

GGPViper wrote:
But what happens if you have LSD/Psilocybin/Cannabis induced hallucinations in Australia?

Typically they'd see a Canadian moose, but once in a while it might be a goose.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 4:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

Typically they'd see a Canadian moose, but once in a while it might be a goose.

A Canada goose/moose hybrid is the last animal I'd want to encounter while on cid.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 4:47 pm

GGPViper wrote:

You see a giant "prawn" on the "Barbie"