Indian variant of COVID now in the UK

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:31 pm

I knew it wouldn't take long before the variant from India makes it's way over HERE. Everyone in the UK are fed up and so badly want to get back to normal and see their families and friends and go out to restaurants and pubs and other places, and now we're probably going to go back to square 1 and be in lockdown again this summer, all because the s**t government won't close the f*****g borders. I think the government WANTS nobody to have any freedom and for the economy to collapse and make everybody's lives miserable and not worth living.
Why were they letting people into the country from India? CLOSE THE BORDERS!! !! !! We want our freedom back! Surely we can still have freedom without going abroad on holidays. If the government really cared about saving lives then they'd close all the borders to stop variants from coming in from other countries.

I don't know how much more I can go on like this. They're going to keep dragging this out forever. I can see the cycle happening already. I think the only way to actually control things is if all countries closed their borders for at least a whole year (with the exception of importing and exporting goods). I know it will suck for people who have relatives abroad but we need to take action instead of letting people go on holidays abroad. And putting people in quarantine when they enter a country doesn't seem to make any difference, as the variants still seem to be spreading all over the country.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:12 pm

Aw man. :(
This covid thing has been a mess for a year.
Now it looks like it is getting to be a REAL mess.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. To me, the UK is that shining star on the other side of the world with my favourite band being from the capital of that country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 9:50 am

They’re easing many restrictions come Monday the 17th in the UK.

Boris Johnson didn’t say the Indian variant would cause a lockdown again....but he did say watch out for the variant.
He’s going to ask President Biden to ease UK/US travel restrictions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:00 pm

I heard they might put us in lockdown again in June if hospital cases increase, in other words if the vaccine is useless against this new varient. :roll:

I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to go to the beach this summer, as in spend the day there. Last summer I felt too guilty going to the beach because of how people that went to the beach were publicly shamed.

I don't want to be controlled this summer, I want to go out and enjoy myself. It makes me hate people for catching it so easily and becoming ill. I know it sounds unsympathetic but I am too disappointed, irritated and fed up to have sympathy for COVID-related illnesses at the moment (not against anyone personally).

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:00 pm

I hope not , me and my hubby were planning on spending a weekend away for our anniversary

cant bloody do anything any more cant make plans cant live

because the lousy excuse of a government let indians come across the borders bringing the varient with them now we all got to suffer

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:17 pm

They are saying that it looks as though the current vaccines are effective against it - if this is correct then we should be OK if the pace of vaccination is maintained.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:49 pm

Velorum wrote:
They are saying that it looks as though the current vaccines are effective against it - if this is correct then we should be OK if the pace of vaccination is maintained.

I hope so because everyone is so desperate to get back to normal. I feel like the government is letting everyone down by letting people in from countries where variants are.

Although I'm all for getting back to normal, I still think all holidays abroad should be held off until next year, because it will be easier to control the virus. People shouldn't be rushing to go on holiday abroad yet. They should just go on holidays in their own country for the time being. The only thing about that is the airline companies aren't going to be making their money. But the more the government uses their common sense and takes immediate action to control variants from spreading to other countries, the more things will be able to return to normal once we learn more about the variants and how we can vary the vaccines quicker to prevent new strains from getting out of hand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:53 pm

I mean....I envy the UK....averaging like 2,000 cases per day, versus about 35,000 for the US.

UK deaths per day: single or low double digits.

US deaths per day: triple digits.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I mean....I envy the UK....averaging like 2,000 cases per day, versus about 35,000 for the US.

UK deaths per day: single or low double digits.

US deaths per day: triple digits.

At the moment.
But now we have this variant from India and nobody knows how this is going to pan out. I just hope to god Velorum is right and that the vaccines will still be effective with this new variant, otherwise this will go on forever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:22 pm

This variant has been around awhile.

The main problem is that India has a low vaccination rate.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This variant has been around awhile.

The main problem is that India has a low vaccination rate.

Maybe that proves that the vaccines are working then and lowering the risks of becoming ill or dying from the virus.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
... and nobody knows how this is going to pan out..

And the people of India themselves likewise have no idea how this is going to pan out.
An Indian friend in India has allowed me to share parts of their emails to me,

Quote:
Didn't do much good seeing as the virus still sneaked up on me. Anyway I am glad to be recovering at home, it was so bad people were being treated in parking lots and hospital lobbies and it was still not enough!

The situation is better now, positivity rate about 15% which is a huge improvement and already the newspapers are talking of opening up! People will never follow rules or understand the gravity of the situation in absolute terms, only relatively, and then the whole cycle starts again. And they believe they are invincible just because they had mild covid, i personally know people who had covid, then 2 vaccine doses and then got it again! They got it mild, thankfully, there are many who weren't so lucky especially the older ones but they don't understand that we have so many variants now, it is easy to catch this stuff again!! !
With our population it doesn't seem easy to stay ahead of the mutations with vaccination. Where are we going to end up!! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:50 pm

We in NYC have a 1% positivity rate. Most people still wear masks in the street.

Kitsuna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2021, 4:58 pm

Vaccines seem to be working in the US. We’re at about 50% of the population with at least one dose and cases are steadily decreasing.