Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD to me.

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 6:47 am

A lot of emotionally disinterest-based traits will overlap with alexithymic traits. (Lack of interest in socializing/sexual activities/relationships/flat affect/etc.)

If not, overlaps with social circumstances, inexperience and negative experiences.

Not to mention mental health issues related to lack of pleasure (depression, anxiety, wholly different preferences of activities)...

As for poor ability to read nonverbal cues...
A lot of overlap with NVLD and various visual processing issues.
Even anxiety can screw with reading social cues. Or just sheer inexperience.

Personally, I practically never had this. :lol:

In fact, I would've choose to be a schizoid, merely because everything is intense and I like vague silent the image.

But I just am not.
I'm asocial alright. But that doesn't mean introverted, less emotionally expressive (I tried since age 5), avoidant or unable to enjoy and participate social activities.

I wouldn't be surprised a highly alexithymic turned asocial autistic would have schizoid personality disorder.

And I'm not a highly alexithymic turned asocial autistic. Just naturally asocial autistic.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 8:23 am

I have obvious (and bizarre) interest in sexual and romantic area since being about 6 years old. I am definitely not asexual or even aromantic, although I would prefer to be non-interested in sexual activities (due to spiritual and religious reasons). But I am somewhat "markedly asocial", I do not have thoughts/feeling/need of being emotionally loved (for example by parents) and my nature doesnt't bother with having (platonic) friendships - they look to be unnecessary for it. So I appear to be more "schizoid" than many people with ASD... Someone could think that autism means "persistent schizoid disorder since early developmental period + even more other issues (like sensory problems)". But from what I read, people with ASD relatively often are not uninterested in non-romantic and (or) non-sexual relationships, friendship, platonic love (and I may appear to have lack of drive to them from as far as I remember)...

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:56 pm

Makes sense.

ellora
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2021, 9:33 pm

I was diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder 11 years ago. It never quite fit. I suspected autism even then. Ive recently been diagnosed with autism. Typical mental health assessments ( millon, mmpi) still identify me as schizoid.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

It makes sense.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 12:19 pm

It's confusing because when I read the some of the symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder, it looks like problems with social-emotional respiratory as well, but that wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. The symptology was detected very late, and I sometimes wonder if lack interests in social activity is due tramatic event, especially from being psychologically and psychically bullied, should Autism Spectrum Disorder be a precuser to Schizoid Personality Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 9:26 am

I will watch that soon.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2022, 12:10 pm

I actually asked about this on here a while back and people acted like I was nuts, pointing out the emotional regulation problems in ASD and how these are in sharp conflict with schizoid. The thing is though that not all autistics are like this and a lot are robotic with a fairly flat affect. I always thought schizoid sounded like a very mild form of ASD that just gets identified in adults who were never picked up as children due to the mild level of their condition. While ASD is neurodevelopmental, schizoid can develop as a result of adverse experience or trauma. I also think it’s very possible to have both. A person with ASD may initially start off wanting to socialize more, but develop an apathy about it after repeated failures as time goes on. I’m not saying they’re the same but I think there’s greater overlap than people think.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 7:48 pm

It makes sense.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:07 pm

Nades wrote:
I'm still dwelling on the possibility that autism might be mostly environmental. There isn't really a huge amount of evidence that autism or any other philological issue is strictly genetic though from time to time I do see physical traits in aspies that make me wonder. Aspies seem to have more physical health problems overall I noticed.

There actually is a ton of evidence that autism is genetic.

https://acamh.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jcpp.12499

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/799708

https://web.math.princeton.edu/~sswang/literature_general_unsorted/li_brown12_brain_res_bulletin_ASD-associated-genes.pdf

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/570079

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:36 pm

When I looked at the symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder, it looks more like a Communication Disorder than a personality disorder.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder:

They do not desire or enjoy close relationships, even with family members.
They choose solitary jobs and activities.
They take pleasure in few activities, including sex.
They have no close friends, except first-degree relatives.
They have difficulty relating to others.
They are indifferent to praise or criticism.
They are aloof and show little emotion.
They might daydream and/or create vivid fantasies of complex inner lives.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder that looks like ASD:

* They have difficulty relating to others. (Looks like lack of social skills)
* They are aloof and show little emotion. (Looks like problems with social-emotional reciprocity)
* They might daydream and/or create vivid fantasies of complex inner lives. (Fantasies, especially about imaginary friends is very common in ASD).

alk123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2022, 1:39 am

Depends on psychologist/psychiatrist's bias, based on their school of training.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:22 am

FranzOren wrote:
Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder that looks like ASD:

* They have difficulty relating to others. (Looks like lack of social skills)
* They are aloof and show little emotion. (Looks like problems with social-emotional reciprocity)
* They might daydream and/or create vivid fantasies of complex inner lives. (Fantasies, especially about imaginary friends is very common in ASD).

Often the language of mental health reflects the perspective (and biases) of those diagnosing. I can relate to the feelings of neurotypicals by analyzing my experiencing and comparing, even if our desires differ. For example, they tend to connect to people the way I do with interests, so I imagine our joys with each are pretty similar. But, since they desire the company of others, and I rarely desire their company, I have "difficulty relating." In other words: difficulty giving them pleasure. I do not exist to give them pleasure, though.

Regarding emotion, I experience strong emotions and will show them my own way, which they don't understand. This is due to differences in being. If I'm held up to their standard, then yes, I show little emotion. But, I'm different, so why are they a standard I should be measured by? It's flattering to them to do this. I could also do this, and say they ignore the world to spend time on empty conversations; enjoy childlike, superfluous affect; and love being imprecise. But, I doubt that's how they see their experience, and it's unfair to expect them to be like me, or share my view.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 6:04 am

A lot of disorders share similar traits of autism even if they're not necessarily autistic. For example, Fragile-X syndrome can share a lot of autism traits even if the individual isn't autistic.

Symptoms of Fragile-X syndrome can include:-

Language and developmental delays
Hand-flapping
Lack of eye contact
Anxiety and meltdowns
Sensory issues
Trouble with social relationships

It's funny how mental health disorders are mentioned here more than developmental disorders, even though autism is a developmental disorder and not a mental health disorder.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 10:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
A lot of disorders share similar traits of autism even if they're not necessarily autistic.

That is why the popular pastime of diagnosing celebrities and historical figures is psudoscience.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman