Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD to me.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:55 pm

Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD to me.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder:

* Lack of interest in social or personal relationships, preferring to be alone
* Limited range of emotional expression
* Inability to take pleasure in most activities
* Inability to pick up normal social cues
* Appearance of being cold or indifferent to others
* Little or no interest in having sex with another person

If you have inability to pick up on any social cues and have inability to take pleasure in most activities, you have a Pervasive Developmental Disorder of some sort.

I think that 'Schizoid Personality Disorder' should be removed from diagnostic manuals, because symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder includes communication delays that was not detected until adulthood.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:04 pm

I have wondered about this several times ( or continually). ASD was first called childhood schizophrenia. Now they think they have things sorted out into 2 different diagnoses, but its all a work in progress. ASD may fit that description but does schizoid PD fit the sensory struggles and some of the other things not described here but common to the autistic experience? No answers, I do think science is just beginning to sort neuro-based issues and figure out causes, etc. Until very recently it was not even agreed that most of these disorders are biological and biochemical, neurological/developmental based instead of the way we grew up or the love we did not have, etc etc etc.... a heck of a lot to sort out . (that's not to discount all the things that circumstances and experiences do cause trouble with)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:06 pm

Thank you! It makes sense.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 2:40 pm

I think that even sole lack of thinking and (or) interest of being emotionally (not necessarily romantically) loved and having non-intimate friends (at least since childhood, pre-puberatal age) by itself is a sort of "autism" and a PDD, maybe it is also (additionally to being a sort of autism/pervasive developmental disorder) a psychotic spectrum disorder, a schizophrenia-spectrum disorder. I suppose that this trait is often associated with anomalies/disability in nonverbal communication (such as eye contact). This "syndrome" makes you significatly "odd" and "peculiar" at least when you are about 6 - 7 years old (if not earlier).

It does not to have cause more general anhedonia although the person with this trait may be just "unable" to feel being loved and to feel being not loved. I can take pleasure from really many activities, but rather when I do them in my way (as a "play", something like "autistic routines or stims") and they are generally "not practical" in adult life (for example, as a source of income). It might cause rather poor tolerance of sensory discomfort than idiosyncratic sensory processing (which is common in classic autism and disorders significantly similar to it).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 3:31 pm

That is a good answer. Thank you!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 4:56 pm

Well idk, a lot of autistic people do want to have interact with people and have social relationships and just struggle with it rather than preferring to be alone. At least the way I understood it I thought having a preference for being alone was a big part of the schizoid thing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well idk, a lot of autistic people do want to have interact with people and have social relationships and just struggle with it rather than preferring to be alone. At least the way I understood it I thought having a preference for being alone was a big part of the schizoid thing.

This is an important factor in differential diagnosis of the two.

Schizoid PD involves a lack of drive for socialization.
ASD involves impairments that may condition one to be less social due to struggles.

Of course, I'd be very surprised if one can't be autistic and have schizoid personality disorder since there's no reason to assume ASD would make one immune to developing that personality disorder.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 6:12 pm

I want to be friends with people, in general.

I don't understand them very well, though, and I can be spiky myself too, and easily tired by social interaction. So friendships, relationships and indeed jobs don't tend to last very long.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 6:54 pm

Quote:

There are extraverted Autistics. Many on the spectrum prefer to be alone because social differences make socializing unsuccessful and frustrating, not because it is innate in the person.

Unlike ASD the diagnostic criteria for Schizoid Personality Disorder does not include "restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 9:28 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

There are extraverted Autistics. Many on the spectrum prefer to be alone because social differences make socializing unsuccessful and frustrating, not because it is innate in the person.

Unlike ASD the diagnostic criteria for Schizoid Personality Disorder does not include "restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior"

But symptom Schizoid Personality Disorder includes inability to pick up normal social cues and that is a core symptom of Autism Spectrum Disorder. In fact, it is a communication disorder that was not detected until adulthood and just calling it a personality disorder, when it does not look like a personality disorder to my point of view.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2021, 3:36 am

What is all the confusion about? What are the similarities?

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2021, 3:48 am

Personality Disorder diagnostic criteria are even much vauge and poorly defined than ASD

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:05 am

FranzOren wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

But symptom Schizoid Personality Disorder includes inability to pick up normal social cues and that is a core symptom of Autism Spectrum Disorder. In fact, it is a communication disorder that was not detected until adulthood and just calling it a personality disorder, when it does not look like a personality disorder to my point of view.

It is a symptom of Schizoid, not the core symptom which is lack of interest. Many autistics certainly have an interest in sex, the number one complaint around here is 'I can't get any'

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:24 am

autisticelders wrote:
I have wondered about this several times ( or continually). ASD was first called childhood schizophrenia. Now they think they have things sorted out into 2 different diagnoses, but its all a work in progress. ASD may fit that description but does schizoid PD fit the sensory struggles and some of the other things not described here but common to the autistic experience? No answers, I do think science is just beginning to sort neuro-based issues and figure out causes, etc. Until very recently it was not even agreed that most of these disorders are biological and biochemical, neurological/developmental based instead of the way we grew up or the love we did not have, etc etc etc.... a heck of a lot to sort out . (that's not to discount all the things that circumstances and experiences do cause trouble with)

I'm still dwelling on the possibility that autism might be mostly environmental. There isn't really a huge amount of evidence that autism or any other philological issue is strictly genetic though from time to time I do see physical traits in aspies that make me wonder. Aspies seem to have more physical health problems overall I noticed.

Schizoid disorder pretty much seems like and always has seemed like autism to me but what is Schizoid disorder and autism? Well they're just a series of personality traits in a nut shell with no clear parameters from person to person. If all of a sudden a mild aspie went out socializing a lot, learned to relax around people and pick up social skills, they might fall shy of the diagnostic criteria for aspergers where as before they didn't.

It's all fantastically ambiguous stuff.