Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,109
Location: Queens, NYC

16 May 2021, 7:15 am

The person should have spoken to the conductor, rather than the company.

Write-ups can really cause problems for employees.

I would rather just say “passengers,” rather than “ladies and gentlemen.” But “ladies and gentlemen” was not said in the spirit of being noninclusive. And it was a part of the conductor’s training.

If it was part of a conductor’s training, receiving a write-up would be absurd....especially since, under the circumstances, the boss should receive a write-up for training the conductor to say “ladies and gentlemen.”



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,179
Location: Tulsa, OK

17 May 2021, 8:05 am

I don't think its conservatives that you hate but the caricature of conservatives that you believe.



thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,103

17 May 2021, 12:21 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I don't think its conservatives that you hate but the caricature of conservatives that you believe.


Conservatives equals to pro-Trump, anti-abortion, anti-human rights and pro-torture before conviction.
Basically anything that Trump stands for, is Conservatism.

I know this, because anyone who disagrees with Trump and his policies, are frown upon and the entire Republican Party (which is the Conservative Party of the U.S.) - support Donald Trump and everything he stands for.

Therefore I know there are no caricatures of conservatives, it IS how Conservatism works, because every single Conservative on this sh***y planet thinks Trump was the best president ever and that Trump should become a dictator and anyone who oppose Trump should be jailed.

That's Conservatism, because Conservatives say so themselves.



VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,334
Location: Illinois

17 May 2021, 12:40 pm

You're spouting nonsense when you claim every conservative on the planet supports Trump.

I'm pretty much politically homeless, because I don't subscribe to ant any political ideology 100%. Conservatism represents the smallest sliver in my political pie graph. But I know enough to understand that the Republicans don't represent true conservatism any more that Democrats represent true liberalism.


_________________
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Jiddu Krisnamurti


thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,103

17 May 2021, 12:51 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
You're spouting nonsense when you claim every conservative on the planet supports Trump.

I'm pretty much politically homeless, because I don't subscribe to ant any political ideology 100%. Conservatism represents the smallest sliver in my political pie graph. But I know enough to understand that the Republicans don't represent true conservatism any more that Democrats represent true liberalism.


I believe most people are politically homeless, but if you choose to join the Republican Party, you're expected to support Trump 100 %.

I don't think the Democrats are more liberal than anybody else, they simply only agree that Trump was a bad choice.

I know of Conservatives in my own country, who fully support Trump, believe the Bible is literally true and thinks that anyone who eligibly recieve Disability Benefits should be deprived the right to vote, because they are unable to pay more taxes than they recieve in benefit income.

That's my encounter with Conservatives, and that's why I hate them. Because I have yet to meet an Conservative who is empathetic to the weak, autistics, disabled (physical as well as mentally), or believe in Scientific Reasoning before religious rituals or ideology.

I also have yet to meet a Conservative who is not hostile to people on welfare.



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,179
Location: Tulsa, OK

17 May 2021, 2:57 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
I don't think its conservatives that you hate but the caricature of conservatives that you believe.


Conservatives equals to pro-Trump, anti-abortion, anti-human rights and pro-torture before conviction.
Basically anything that Trump stands for, is Conservatism.

I know this, because anyone who disagrees with Trump and his policies, are frown upon and the entire Republican Party (which is the Conservative Party of the U.S.) - support Donald Trump and everything he stands for.

Therefore I know there are no caricatures of conservatives, it IS how Conservatism works, because every single Conservative on this sh***y planet thinks Trump was the best president ever and that Trump should become a dictator and anyone who oppose Trump should be jailed.

That's Conservatism, because Conservatives say so themselves.

No. You are creating the the thing you fear in your own mind.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

17 May 2021, 4:28 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
I don't think its conservatives that you hate but the caricature of conservatives that you believe.


Conservatives equals to pro-Trump, anti-abortion, anti-human rights and pro-torture before conviction.
Basically anything that Trump stands for, is Conservatism.

I know this, because anyone who disagrees with Trump and his policies, are frown upon and the entire Republican Party (which is the Conservative Party of the U.S.) - support Donald Trump and everything he stands for.

Therefore I know there are no caricatures of conservatives, it IS how Conservatism works, because every single Conservative on this sh***y planet thinks Trump was the best president ever and that Trump should become a dictator and anyone who oppose Trump should be jailed.

That's Conservatism, because Conservatives say so themselves.

Nope
Trump Has Left the Conservative Movement Defenseless

The Lincoln Project
Quote:
The Lincoln Project is an American political action committee formed in late 2019 by former and present Republicans. During the 2020 presidential election, it aimed to prevent the re-election of Donald Trump and defeat all Republicans in close races running for re-election in the United States Senate.] In April 2020, the committee announced its endorsement of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden


Liz Cheney's likely replacement, Elise Stefanik, isn't nearly as conservative
Quote:
Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming was ousted from her role as the number three Republican in the House of Representatives this week after refusing to pull back on her criticism of former President Donald Trump.

In a voice vote Wednesday, GOP representatives voted to strip her of her role as chair of the House Republican Conference. Rep. Elise Stefanik has been pegged to take her place.

The New York congresswoman has the support of Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and former President Trump himself, despite the fact that her voting record isn't nearly as conservative — or as Trumpy — as Cheney's.


Never Trump movement
Quote:
The Never Trump movement, also called the #nevertrump, Stop Trump, anti-Trump, or Dump Trump movement, began as an effort on the part of a group of Republicans and other prominent conservatives (known as Never Trump Republicans) to prevent Republican front-runner and now former President of the United States Donald Trump from obtaining the Republican Party presidential nomination and following his nomination the presidency for the 2016 United States presidential election. Following Trump's election in November 2016, some in the movement refocused their efforts on defeating Trump in 2020


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 17 May 2021, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,109
Location: Queens, NYC

17 May 2021, 4:37 pm

They like the replacement because she's ingested the Kool-Aid.

Cheney, to her credit, doesn't brook the Trump BS.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 3,243
Location: canada

17 May 2021, 9:51 pm

I have never heard of conservatives wanting to punish mentally challenged people, or send people to jail for not wanting to work certain hours. I have never heard of this happening in any instances, but can any examples of this be provided?



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,066
Location: wales

18 May 2021, 1:00 am

ironpony wrote:
I have never heard of conservatives wanting to punish mentally challenged people, or send people to jail for not wanting to work certain hours. I have never heard of this happening in any instances, but can any examples of this be provided?


I think you're in for a long wait



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,179
Location: Tulsa, OK

18 May 2021, 7:11 am

This entire thread is like reading a fantasy novel.



thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,103

18 May 2021, 9:33 am

ironpony wrote:
I have never heard of conservatives wanting to punish mentally challenged people, or send people to jail for not wanting to work certain hours. I have never heard of this happening in any instances, but can any examples of this be provided?


It may not happen as much in the U.S. but it sure happens in many European countries and elsewhere, like many Asian countries.

Singapore is a good example of how a true Conservative state might work.
It has widespread conscription, and if you're unfit for military duty due to severe mental illness, you're forced to work with something else - and if you want to quit, you get jailed.

Singapore also jails and flog mentally challenged people.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 3,243
Location: canada

18 May 2021, 9:42 am

Oh okay but I thought Singapore was more of a socialist country and that is why those things are happening there. I didn't think it had anything to do with conservatism itself.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,373
Location: I'm right here

18 May 2021, 9:45 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay but I thought Singapore was more of a socialist country and that is why those things are happening there. I didn't think it had anything to do with conservatism itself.


Is Singapore socialist? :chin:


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 3,243
Location: canada

18 May 2021, 9:50 am

Maybe socialism is not the right word, but they don't seem to have a lot of freedoms in the government and have restrictions which some socialist countries also have, more restrictions, less freedoms. But not sure if I used the right word for Singapore. What I meant was the government has more restrictions, but I didn't think it was do to consveratism.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,373
Location: I'm right here

18 May 2021, 10:15 am

ironpony wrote:
Maybe socialism is not the right word, but they don't seem to have a lot of freedoms in the government and have restrictions which some socialist countries also have, more restrictions, less freedoms. But not sure if I used the right word for Singapore. What I meant was the government has more restrictions, but I didn't think it was do to consveratism.


I think the word you're after is authoritarian.

Singapore's authoritarianism is traditionalist in nature, so it would be fairer to blame it on conservatism than socialism, although not all conservatism is as rigid as Singapore's. A lot of countries in the region are fairly rigid and this seems to be true regardless of other aspects of their world view, so it seems to be a traditional value that wound up being retained even by socialist states in the region.

Conservatives in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand sometimes claim personal liberty is an inherent part of conservatism, but that doesn't appear to be true of conservatism in general. That appears to largely be a trait of Anglosphere conservatism, other parts of the world don't rely on that rhetoric so much because they often place less emphasis on individualism. It's also pretty hit-and-miss even within those countries, strict enforcement of traditional social values can quickly become authoritarian in nature and many conservatives don't seem to mind that.

Liberalism has historically been ingrained into Anglosphere conservatism, which is why they espouse talking points about individual liberty and similar; but there's always been an illiberal bloc and they've grown in presence and influence - at least in some places.

I don't imagine Singapore is exactly a model of the utopia western conservatives would like, but it's certainly an example of a traditionalist state with strict enforcement of law and order. There's lots of other states that could be used as examples, there's been a lot of authoritarian, right-wing states that have served as models of what to avoid. There's also been a lot of examples of authoritarian left-wing states, but I don't hear anyone in the west advocating to be more like China or North Korea.


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う