Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 2:36 pm

A good discussion of recent supposed evidence of fungus growing on Mars.

fungus

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 2:49 pm

Not.

Those are mineral-based chondrules.

Never let some weirdo with a YouTube account do your thinking for you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Not.

Those are mineral-based chondrules.

Never let some weirdo with a YouTube account do your thinking for you.

He is not a wierdo.

And even if he is one...I wouldnt talk about wierdos if I were you. And being wierd has nothing to do with truth of what someone is saying.

And no one is letting him "do their thinking for them".

That is four falsehoods in your post.

Seriously... when you say "dont let Utube you're thinking for you" are you doing that to get into the liar's hall of fame? Or are you doing that to get into the idiots hall of fame?

Its both a dumb and a dishonest statement... so those are the only two options.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:19 pm

Okay...

Let me modify what I said above.

I agree that many (sadly maybe even MOST) folks simply cannot handle UTube because its too unflitered.

They see Dr. Finkelstien, head of the royal museum in London, lecturing about the real archeaology and history of the ancient Sumerians. And its right next to that is a vid by some flaky New Ager spouting theories about how the Sumerians were interacting with space aliens. And most folks will take both videos as being equal. Whereas folks like you and I who have some scintilla of education will take the first seriously and the second as nonsense. And it IS a problem that folks buy into just anything on Utube these days.

There is a lot of good stuff on UTube by heavy wieght real authorities. But yeah - there is also crazy stuff. Its all one big circus.

But this particular video the narrator is talking about some ELSE actually publishing this mushroom theory. And then this guy...takes the viewer on a journey that actually demonstrates how the scientific method works. Being open minded but skeptical. Goes through the evidence. And concludes that the mushrooms are probably just mineral bead shaped pebble things (basically what you're saying they are). So this Anton guy who hosts these videos is very good and educational.

PS

EVERY one on WP is a 'weirdo', including moi :lol: .

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 May 2021, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:20 pm

As well as looking at the video and its transcript in order to find out what was actually said, some people will also apply enough personal initiative to go find out about the person who made the video,

for instance,

http://antonpetrov.weebly.com/teaching-philosophy.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:36 pm

Was I too harsh on Fnord?

I enjoy the good videos AND the bad flaky videos both. The latter for laughs.

But I suppose many folks cant tell the difference. Maybe that IS a real problem.

And the whole idea that there could be mushrooms on mars (without evidence of plants also being on mars for the fungus to break down) seems a bit laughable. Which is part of why I posted it. For giggles.

But yeah...you see a video on Utube hosted by a nice young lady talking about say..."The Mandella Effect". And with a sincere look on her face she tells the viewer "its named after Nelson Mandella. I dont know what Nelson Mandella was famous for, but I DO know that he was a South African man." And you just wanna tear your hair out because the younger generation seems to know someone like Mandella ONLY because this silly alleged "Mandella Effect" is named after him. And they dont seem to know about why he was actually important (for bringing down Apartheid and for founding the modern multiracial republic of South Africa, among other things). :twisted:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 May 2021, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Was I too harsh on Fnord?

I would like to take this opportunity to exercise my Fifth Amendment rights.
:D

Quote:
I enjoy the good videos AND the bad flaky videos both. The latter for laughs.

I hear ya.

Quote:
But I suppose many folks cant tell the difference. Maybe that IS a real problem.

It is a documented thing that some indeed can not.
It is.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 6:30 am

I would add that among the flakes and oddballs spouting pseudo science and speculation on YouTube, there are also genuinely free-thinking, knowledgeable people who are putting valuable ideas out into the world that wouldn't get a hearing on filtered media channels because they don't fit with accepted wisdom.

Be sceptical, but not cynical, and you'll do okay generally.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 2:35 pm

Nonsense! Those are clearly macarons. With a lower angle, you'd be able to see the layer of filling between the meringues. Mars is too dry for mushrooms, but Martians are a civilised people who appreciate French food.