Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2021, 9:56 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Hard to define the word "nice" with precision, so it's a tricky one for me to answer.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/nice

Some disappointingly subjective terms there..........so I tried an online test for it, and as with all reductionist, forced-response tests, I soon started to feel that the results wouldn't be worth much. But I persevered because it was clear they weren't taking themselves too seriously, and because the questions themselves gave me some useful insights into the definition of "nice." Here's the link. Be warned, they show you the results briefly, then they shove an overlay onto the page to try to get you to take some more tests - close it and you see the results again, then they're back with the overlay in a jiffy......but after going through that annoyance thrice, I actually got enough time to copy the results.

https://www.quizony.com/how-nice-are-you/index.html

I'm not self aware enough to know, so I tried the quiz.

Sounds like a bit of a wimp.
Think I'll check my veggie burgers for soy.

Quote:
You are genuinely nice to all those that you meet. Life is too short to be mean.
You are as nice as they come, always willing to lend a helping hand or a listening ear to those who need it. Being mean or naughty is not your style, because you think the world is a much better place when people are nice to everyone.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 10:25 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
But I also often don’t know what to do to help and/or am too afraid of making matters worse.

That uncertainty puts a damper on my heroics too. I'm a "slow but sure" thinker, so a lot of problems are over before I know what's going on. I knew an extravert who sorted out some minor road traffic problem - can't remember the details but it was something to do with an elderly pedestrian and a couple of cars - he just started directing the traffic, completely took command of the situation, and everybody did as he told them. Very bright and cheerful about it as well. I've often wished to be like that, but if I'd tried to emulate him, I'd have probably caused an accident. Strange thing was, the rest of the time, although he was usually confident and genial, he didn't particularly stand out as a leader, just one of the group really. I usually felt I could hold my own with him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 11:10 am

"Niceness"?

What a concept!

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 11:30 am

Fnord wrote:
"Niceness"?

What a concept!

:lol:

Don't worry, Fnord. I think you are exempt from this conversation!

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2021, 3:10 am

Do you ever think you’re being nice when someone thinks you’re not?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:32 am

Technic1 wrote:

Heck yes. I'd been busting my ass for months to help a friend, but I missed some details and got my PTSD started from being told off. The Golden Rule is not a good guide when others want what I wouldn't.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:49 am

i am just kind enough to forestall god telling me to go to the devil.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:47 am

Technic1 wrote:

In a way, yes. I don't think people are aware of the amount of discomfort they cause me, or how much of it I tolerate and say nothing about. I used to object a lot more to it, but I suppose they must have made it plain they thought me unreasonable for doing so. So these days I just wriggle out of having much to do with them if I think they're going to make me uncomfortable. Obviously if it's somebody I'm close to, I'm less likely to avoid them and more likely to confront them about the problem, which I try to do much more carefully than I ever used to.

I also don't think my humour always hits the spot. To my mind, I'm being nice by being funny or honest, but I probably tread on a lot of toes with it, without ever knowing it, because people are often too polite to give me the feedback I need about how I'm going down. I tend to show a lot of cynicism and use sarcasm and irony to express it economically, which probably comes over to some people as raining on the parade. It probably works on people who find the world as ludicrous a place as I do, but not otherwise.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 5:17 pm

I think I'm nice, but people don't seem to like spending time with me so I do sometimes wonder if I'm just not very nice.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 6:35 pm

^
I've heard that being too nice doesn't go down as well as might be imagined. I've seen a few theories about it leading to sudden outbursts of rage or (unconscious?) passive aggression (because I guess nobody is really that nice, and so their real wishes are going to surface somehow). I think there's some truth in that, but I suspect also that even with the most thoroughly and genuinely nice guy in the world, people just don't trust them or can't quite respect them somehow. I've heard it said that somebody who brings you nothing but good news can't possibly be telling you the truth. And there's also the self-deprecation angle - that if person A puts themselves last all the time, people will start to follow suit and put person A last. And I think coming over as perfect too much tends to make people think the nice one is making them look bad. A side effect of forgiving too readily is that it can guilt-trip the offender more than retaliation.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:25 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Please tell me what nice things you have done...how nice are you?

I swear I used to be nicer than Jesus as I would have sent so few people to hell...?

I can be very respectful of people’s space , for example, if the bike path gets cluttered with pedestrians I slow down more than the average cyclist would, esp around dogs, kids, and women with strollers.

Trouble is, it is common For other cyclists to pass me badly in these places.

Too much of this stuff gets me not nice, and possibly ptsd triggered.

I had an issue yesterday with a car blocking the bike lane for no reason I could see. After about 30 seconds of waiting, I went to go around the cars left side, and the car started going at the same time I did, which made it hard for me to get Back into the bike lane.

There was a red light shortly after this and I yelled very loudly pointing at the car. “Wake the f**k up” about 3 times

I couldn’t see in the car and now I feel bad and hope it wasn’t some poor old lady.

This was actually the least bad incident regarding cars blocking the bike lane and then doing boneheaded stuff when I try to go around them, so that’s another reason I feel bad for losing it.

One guy was blocking a downhill bike path for the sole reason of getting closer to the pedestrians using a crosswalk parallel to the bike path, to rush them.

I knocked on his car like one would knock on a door, he did back up to let me do, but then started honking his horn madly

I did better that time and just said “don’t start honking now, you’re the idiot”

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:34 pm

One time in rush hour traffic a guy with a lifted pickup truck passed my bicycle rather closely, only to be caught at the next red light. I said nothing about the danger to myself. Instead, I gave the whole intersection a top-volume, very graphic description of the blood and guts and mangled metal and bone he could have been picking out of his wheelwell. He looked rather nauseous. I kept an eye on the cross traffic light, and finished off with "And that's not even to mention the PAPERWORK!!"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:58 pm

The_Znof wrote:
I had an issue yesterday with a car blocking the bike lane for no reason I could see. After about 30 seconds of waiting, I went to go around the cars left side, and the car started going at the same time I did, which made it hard for me to get Back into the bike lane.
There was a red light shortly after this and I yelled very loudly pointing at the car. “Wake the f**k up” about 3 times
I couldn’t see in the car and now I feel bad and hope it wasn’t some poor old lady.

A tad harsh if it was a sweet little old wrinkly, but I think it was more socially valuable than just letting the matter go. I thoroughly approve of calling out inconsiderate and dangerous road users. With a bit of luck it might make them think twice before they do it again. Yet another way in which being less than nice can be good for the world. Cruel to be kind.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:48 am

I figure riding with a GoPro or two will help a lot, If I had a site called “youdrivelikeafucktard.com”, I could post the vids there.

While agree dealing with it when it happens has a place and may get more results, I think the vid site would be less stressful for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:23 pm

My friends call me Sweet Pea. That's how nice I am. :mrgreen: :P :heart:

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2021, 7:59 am

People do tend to describe as a nice person. Indeed, I am usually kind to others and treat them the way I wish to be treated. I have a strong belief in doing the right thing.