Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 7:39 am

I am having a clothes sort out and I need a life sort out. :P

It is so hard to let things go. Clothes... Some part of me likes certain clothes I am familiar with so even though they are holy, I want to keep them.

Other clothes I want to keep "Just incase" I need them.

Other clothes I let go of which are excellent clothes but are just not "Me".

But trying to make decisions that don't make me think "Should I keep that?" or "I might need that one day".

Difficult isn't it?

And it is not just with clothes. It is with other things as well which I have rescued because "I might need that one day...!"

Making decisions can push me into shutdowns so I need to go easy... But at the same time being ruthless without careful thought is not easy.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 9:20 am

Impulsive versus indecisive

Hoarding

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 9:38 am

I don't know if this would work with you, but I sometimes feel more empowered in decision-making chores if I have another person with me. They don't have to do anything, but just having a sympathetic person next to me makes everything go smoother. Maybe it's that another person silences the "discussions" going on in my head.

Example: cleaning out a stuffed refrigerator with some spoiled food, some good food, some ??? food. I had my housekeeper just sit next to me as I pulled things out and made spot decisions. And yet, I had been unable to move on that project alone.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:56 pm

I've made some progress with my indecisiveness, though it's still there.

I've found it helpful to plug time estimates into decisions about whether / when to perform a particular task. It's often the case that a job won't take me very long, and that can provide the necessary spur to me deciding "OK I'll do that now." Before I got that idea about time I used to get completely bogged down with decisions of that sort.

Another approach that helped was to get into the habit of considering what would be the worst thing that could happen if I decided x or y. By doing that I've often found that I was being unreasonably cautious, and as I get annoyed and frustrated with myself for being that way, I then often find myself taking the decision.

I don't like it when a decision doesn't look clear cut. The worst for me are the ones that involve a small risk of something absolutely horrible. The pandemic has given me a lot of those dilemmas.