Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 3:53 pm

Are mood swings normal? I get them a lot. Some days I go from being sad to being very happy. I go from crying to laughing in minutes sometimes.

I laugh at weird things too. I'm on abilify. It helps. But I feel like I dont need it. I have autism and schizophrenia but sometimes I dont think so. I dont think I have delusions and hallucinations. Apparently I show negative symptoms though. I looked up the symptoms and I dont seem to have them.

SpaceOctopus
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2021, 4:08 pm

I guess it's kinda hard to say - I've had those rapid mood swings for a long time which are often made worse by my being stressed.

How often would you say you are having those 'extreme' mood swings? i.e. from very sad to super happy.

'Science fiction is important because it fights the natural notion that there’s something permanent about things the way they are right now'
Isaac Asimov

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 4:23 pm

SpaceOctopus wrote:
I guess it's kinda hard to say - I've had those rapid mood swings for a long time which are often made worse by my being stressed.

How often would you say you are having those 'extreme' mood swings? i.e. from very sad to super happy.

I have those mood swings every week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:35 pm

Changing moods are normal, it's the extent (how severe) and whether or not they impair function that determines if they're abnormal.

Overall though, if you don't believe how you've been diagnosed is an accurate picture of the issues you face that's definitely something to raise with your doctor.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2021, 5:01 pm

mood swings can be a result of many factors .

my main trigger was alcohol (hangover) .. and mostly during times of feeling hangry .. lol . since taking various vitamins and minerals .. i have also been able to balance mood.

suppressing your emotions or expressing yourself might also be a cause in some people

Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 10:38 pm

I have schizophrenic illness and autism. Been on olanzapine for about 10 years. Had abilify for a few months due to perceived side effects from olanzapine but had to change back when abilify's antipsychotic effect wasn't deemed sufficient.

Quote:
Are mood swings normal? I get them a lot. Some days I go from being sad to being very happy. I go from crying to laughing in minutes sometimes. I laugh at weird things too.

I don't know whether it is common, but I was the same in the early stages of my illness. Now it's been a decade, my mood is stable, and I'm mostly bogged down in negative symptoms instead.

Quote:
I have autism and schizophrenia but sometimes I dont think so. I dont think I have delusions and hallucinations.

Might be a case of anosognosia.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 11:33 pm

1986 wrote:
I have schizophrenic illness and autism. Been on olanzapine for about 10 years. Had abilify for a few months due to perceived side effects from olanzapine but had to change back when abilify's antipsychotic effect wasn't deemed sufficient.

Quote:
Are mood swings normal? I get them a lot. Some days I go from being sad to being very happy. I go from crying to laughing in minutes sometimes. I laugh at weird things too.

I don't know whether it is common, but I was the same in the early stages of my illness. Now it's been a decade, my mood is stable, and I'm mostly bogged down in negative symptoms instead.

Quote:
I have autism and schizophrenia but sometimes I dont think so. I dont think I have delusions and hallucinations.

Might be a case of anosognosia.

I have been on abilify since 2019. My moods are somewhat more stable on it but they can feel intense especially sadness and anxiety. What is anosognosia?

Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 12:33 am

If you follow the link you can read about anosognosia in detail. It is also referred to, in lay terms, as "lack of insight", i.e. you don't realize that you're ill. Rather than acknowledging that the syptoms are signs of mental illness, the patient find other, less plausible explanations, or downright deny any problems.

My mood swings were much more common during the active phase. I started getting ill at the end of 2008, and by spring 2011 I had hallucinations and delusions. I began to "stabilise" in terms of mood around 2018. That's around the time I realized I was, in fact, ill. Nowadays I'm struggling mostly with asociality, lack of motivation, i.e. negative symptoms in general.

If ability makes you feel more stable but you still feel like something's not right, it might be good to simply be patient. If you keep taking your medicine as advised, your long-term prognosis will be better. There's also the possibility of trying a different medicine. It's quite individual as to what works for a certain person.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor and this is just my personal opinion (I can't give medical advice).

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2021, 8:18 pm

1986 wrote:
If you follow the link you can read about anosognosia in detail. It is also referred to, in lay terms, as "lack of insight", i.e. you don't realize that you're ill. Rather than acknowledging that the syptoms are signs of mental illness, the patient find other, less plausible explanations, or downright deny any problems.

My mood swings were much more common during the active phase. I started getting ill at the end of 2008, and by spring 2011 I had hallucinations and delusions. I began to "stabilise" in terms of mood around 2018. That's around the time I realized I was, in fact, ill. Nowadays I'm struggling mostly with asociality, lack of motivation, i.e. negative symptoms in general.

If ability makes you feel more stable but you still feel like something's not right, it might be good to simply be patient. If you keep taking your medicine as advised, your long-term prognosis will be better. There's also the possibility of trying a different medicine. It's quite individual as to what works for a certain person.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor and this is just my personal opinion (I can't give medical advice).

Thank you. I think I might have that.

I'm having a lot of mood swings and fear recently. I get really paranoid. Sometimes I forget to take my medication. I forgot for a month once. But when I'm on it it feels calming for some reason. My parents notice a difference.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 May 2021, 5:31 am

Crystal1414 wrote:
Are mood swings normal? I get them a lot. Some days I go from being sad to being very happy. I go from crying to laughing in minutes sometimes.

I laugh at weird things too. I'm on abilify. It helps. But I feel like I dont need it. I have autism and schizophrenia but sometimes I dont think so. I dont think I have delusions and hallucinations. Apparently I show negative symptoms though. I looked up the symptoms and I dont seem to have them.

What led to your diagnosis of schizophrenia? Have you tried any other medications than Abilify and what were your experiences with them?

I'm concerned because I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and mismedication made me feel and function way worse but it was really tricky to get out of the misdiagnosis - once the label sticks to you, everything you say or do gets interpreted via this label :/
Autistic shutdowns become "negative symptoms", my career in science was apparently a delusion to my doctor who didn't bother to check if I was telling the truth, social anxiety was interpreted as delusions of reference and my clumsy attempts to describe sensory overload as "non-existent severe pain" sealed it.
I got out of it with the help of my "superpower" and another doctor but it left me painfully wondering, how many people are left in the hell I've been to.

PS: it looks anosognosia differs from psychological denial - denial is not acknowledging an illness or disability because of psychological defenses, anosognosia is inability to be aware of it for neurological reasons.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 6:54 am

"Delusions and hallucinations"?

Two years ago, my primary doctor wrote "depression, without psychotic features" on my medical record

later, the psychologist had the nerve to write "depression, with psychotic features" on my medical record.

After I read that, at the next appointment, I asked the psychologist, which psychotic features did I allegedly demonstrate, and when did the psychotic features start

The psychologist was like, "is your thinking always accurate to reality?"

So I was like "no , my thinking not always accurate to reality".

Psychologist was like "what is an example of a time your thinking was not accurate to reality?"

I was like "nobody's thinking is always accurate to reality"

For example, I thought it was going to rain, and then umbrella. And then it did not rain that day

I had to spot the logical fallacy, in real time, in order to not get a wrong diagnosis on my medical record

The psychologist did not get a punishment for writing the wrong diagnosis on my medical record

Psychologist was like "that is correct. Nobodys thinking is always accurate to reality"

On the next report the psychologist wrote "depression, without psychotic features"

But the previous report, still says "depression with psychotic features"

(And the prescription matches the diagnosis)

In this situation, the diagnosis was not correct, and nobody prescribed drugs based on the description, (but they could have)

Moral:. It is a good idea to read your medical record and challenge anything you find unjustified. If you can afford it, bring lawyer to the psychologist appointment.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 May 2021, 8:39 am

^ That's a real phenomenon, autistic literal and percise language can get badly misinterpreted in the context of psychiatric interviews. The flag example is:
D: Do you hear things others don't hear?
A: Yes (very sensitive hearing)
D: (writes down: auditory hallucinations)
:(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>