Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:02 am

For the most part, if you’ve already seen all the “classics,” you aren’t really missing much from streaming services, anyway, in my opinion. My mom has a lot of them and I use her account, and if you aren’t interested in horror-comedies or things that are really cheesy or probably were trying to be bad (I don’t get the whole “so bad it’s good” thing, but apparently that’s a thing :shrug: ), the pickings are pretty slim even on Shudder.

If you’re looking for something a bit cerebral, I find Saw good for that (I’d have to look at summaries of the sequels to remember which I thought were good or not, but I can at least vouch for the first one), if you haven’t already seen that. The series is notorious among the lighter-weight horror fans for being gory, but I don’t recall the first one being particularly bad in that department, but then again I’m pretty inured.

Train to Busan is an often-recommended one I didn’t see mentioned earlier in this thread. I don’t recall being particularly thrilled with it, but zombies are pretty much the only supernatural entities I’m usually not impressed by, for some reason (I don’t know why, maybe they’re just too “mainstream” for me).

I also can vouch for It, I put off watching, well, it (really makes you notice how often you use the word “it” :lol: ) for quite some time (don’t really know why there, either), but I thought the original movie was good and was very impressed by the more recent two-parter.

Probably everyone who’s seen me around has been waiting for me to pop in and mention Hellraiser, but now that I’ve had a good few years for my obsession to ease up a bit, I’m actually not really into the movies anymore. But I can, of course, discuss them more, if anyone is interested (or even if nobody is :lol: But probably that would require a whole nother post).

The story goes beyond needing work and is probably better described as “barely there,” but if you’re mostly just in it for the monsters, I am a particular fan of The Void. Warning, though, it contains a lot of flashing lights in parts, if those are a problem.

Uh, my other go-to is one I really can’t honestly recommend to anyone regardless of taste (not even myself, I really can’t explain what compels me to keep going back to it), so I’ll not even mention it here :lol:

Oh, and look, I really didn’t expect to actually have that much to say since I don’t actually watch a lot of movies, and I’ve written half a page by myself :lol: Should’ve expected that :oops:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 2:02 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Cabin in the Woods is a great horror movie with some unexpected comedic moments in it.

That did not scare me at all. I've come to dislike those movies where a group of youngsters stay the night somewhere isolated and they encounter strange activities that you nearly see but don't. Most of these things turn out to be a prank pulled by the others or some sort of nightmare that a character wakes up from. Then there might be some violence at the end.

That is why I like The Shining. It's creepy and stuff actually happens in it, not "nearly" happens. It has a creepy and interesting plot and backstory to it, and there are no goddamn TEENAGERS in it. I find most horror movies about teenagers so predictable.

I watched the first movie of Saw but I couldn't quite understand it. I'm not really big on gore, I prefer eerie, creepy and uncanny valley type.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:14 am

I forgot to mention that A Cabin in the Woods is deliberately a parody of horror movie stereotypes and some of the more popular horror movies, knowing that I haven’t watched it because I don’t expect it to actually be scary. I too don’t typically enjoy movies centering on a group of teenagers in some remote area, or where the characters aren’t teenagers but there is still at least one who acts like a stereotypical teenage jerk, or someone(s) trying to convince someone(s) else that something is actually happening, or possession/haunting movies, because those are all way overdone and typically essentially the same, anything in any of those categories has to have something actually interesting in order for me to bother with it. Including ones that other people usually say are good, I’ve tried too many of them that are supposedly really good and been disappointed.

I’m not into gore for the sake of gore (also don’t like movies that confuse shocking people with ridiculous amounts of gore or relying on “jumpscares” with actually being scary), but my particular area of interest is body horror, so, um, yeah... :lol: :oops:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 1:06 pm

It seems to be so common in modern horror movies, that ironically sometimes "milder" horror movies are actually creepier than adult horror movies. Like the movie Funhouse. It is only rated 12 (don't know the American equivalent to that), but I found that it was rather creepy and I was impressed, even though it had teenagers in. But at least stuff actually happened that you got to see.

Most 15-rated and 18-rated horror movies these days consist of jump scares that don't do my nerves much good but they don't make the movie scarier.
Or there are countless scenes where someone is walking towards a door with creepy suspension music in the background, but when they open the door the music stops and everything is normal. Or you briefly see a supernatural figure for about a second, but then the character suddenly wakes up.
Why don't creepy things just happen instead of all this suspension leading to nothing?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 3:26 pm

The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2 are more like thrillers than horror movies,
but worth a watch.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 10:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:
That did not scare me at all.

The only movie that has ever scared me was not even a horror movie :mrgreen:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 11:32 pm

You want to see a really good horror thriller, watch The Skin I Live In (2011).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 12:59 pm

If you're looking for something more psychological to watch,
consider watching The Gift which was also produced by Blumhouse.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 2:34 pm

If you want to watch something different from something that you are familiar with,
consider watching Bright Burn, which is a "superhero horror" movie that asks
a question; the question being "What if Superman was an evil being from the start?"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 12:46 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
If you want to watch something different from something that you are familiar with,
consider watching Bright Burn, which is a "superhero horror" movie that asks
a question; the question being "What if Superman was an evil being from the start?"

I can't stand anything to do with superheroes.