Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2007, 11:19 am

And when I say sleep, I mean out the womb :D

aspiebegood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2007, 11:44 am

In the future, with improved diagnostics, there will be less autism diagnosed in brain-injury cases. Brain-injury can cause autism-like behaviors in some people, but autism itself is genetic with environmental triggers and has nothing to do with brain injury. For instance, a common trait of AS is an above average IQ so it is unlikely that head trauma could cause increase in IQ or giftedness as is seen in AS.

If this were not the case you would probably hear more comments like "Hey, I have a really difficult exam tomorrow so would you mind giving me a few whacks to the head with something blunt?"

I think the incidence of autistics and brain-trauma victims being lumped together shows more about the prejudices of our times than the signs of good science.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 11:49 am

I'm not sure what to think about the whole brain damage argument. A few years ago some scientists also claimed that left-handedness was possibly the result of brain damage, so as a leftie myself I suppose it would possibly mean more brain damage. I am not willing to accept that. "Brain alteration" or "pimping my brain" I could accept. Everyone's brain is built differently and can handle/withstand/perform differently. Everytime someone turns out a bit different ( I'm not talking mass deficiencies or cognitive impairments) people want to say "brain damage". I would rather we try and understand the differences in the brain among different people and stop finding reasons to label everything as bad or wrong, black and white. There are many areas of gray (matter).

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 12:40 pm

When my son was born, shortly after he got meningitis-they said the medications and the sleep apnea he was having could cause some mild retardation or something similar. When I was 5 or 6, I was climbing a television stand and the whole thing fell on me-TV hit and rolled off my head. My daughter rolled off of a bed as an infant and landed on her head... hmmm. But I'm not so sure that it makes any difference, as I've met many who do not have any ailments and they have had plenty of head injuries.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Kittygirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2007, 6:31 pm

Yes, autism can be caused by brain damage. I was born with hydrocephalus and the doctors said that I had a stroke in the womb. I don't just have Asperger's Syndrome but I also have spastic diplegia cerebral palsy. I think autism is also genetic. Sometimes it can come with disorders such as Fragile X Syndrome.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 Jul 2007, 8:17 pm

I was born at 34 weeks and The umbilicle cord was wrapped around my neck. Plus I was born via a cessarian and wasn't breathing at first. I had to stay in hospital for almost 3 months after my birth.

So I may have suffered some minor brain damage in other words.

But I don't think that being starved of oxygen could cause you to get AS.
For example...People are born with AS, they don't just "get" it from head trauma.
Just say if someone did suffer major head trauma or was starved of oxygen too long by having an on-going Grand Mal seizure, and they started to display AS symptoms. It wouldn't necessarily be AS, it would be an effect from the incident which caused AS like symptoms to display.
Thats my theory anyway.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 9:06 am

It's possible that the social areas of the brain are damaged or underdeveloped, while the intellectual areas are unaffected.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 5:56 pm

There are definitely those with ASD who have experienced brain damage earlier in life, there is no denying this. And I can see the connection, but there is a flaw in assuming cause versus a link. It is well documented that we auties tend to have mothers with abnormal pregnancies, obstetric complications, and early illness. All these can have the potential to damage the brain, yes. However, I do not see this as a likely cause. Pure brain damage behaviorally is much different than ASD. Symptoms of ASD speak of alterations throughout the cortices and nuclei (i.e., most of the brain). Even hypoxia (loss of oxygen to the brain) does not destroy or affect the whole brain. There are areas which tend to be more affected by the hypoxia, more susceptible to hypoxic damage.

In addition, there are neuroanatomic traits seen within our brains involving what are called, "minicolumns". These are essentially columns of pyramidal cells throughout the cortex of the brain, lined somewhat like picket fences throughout the six layers. Specifically, it has been found that the width between minicolumns, the size of minicolumns, an increase in the total number of minicolumns, and the size of the cells are all affected. The progenitor cells (original mother cells) to these columns differentiate within the first ten weeks of foetal life, meaning that the number of these columns and cells within those columns are laid down pretty much right away during pregnancy. This implies that this minicolumn trait, linked with ASD-- autism and Aspergers alike-- is rooted in very early life and whether it's affected by the womb environment or genetics, it means that autism begins basically right away.

An increase in white matter is also found. However, this is not long-distance white matter but rather short-distance white matter. This is most likely due to the increase in cell columns; the more columns, the more necessary this short-distance connectivity.

There is also strong evidence that there are differences seen in the immune systems of those on the Spectrum as well. It is possible that various immune conditions are reacting or even triggered off sometimes by the vaccinations we now regularly receive in infancy these days. Although there is little link to the thimerosal, itself, but rather to the attenuated (weakened) viruses used within the vaccines themselves. It has been shown that viruses can often act as triggers for immune disorders and so suspicion has landed on the vaccine viruses themselves.

Seizures are also common. This is due to the nature of the minicolumns. When minicolumns are closer together, the GABA interneurons which mediate cell firing may be affected and do not regulate this firing as well. Hence, forest fires of seizure activity can occur. It is reported that up to 30% of auties will experience at least two seizures within their lifetime.

I for one do not believe that autism can be caused by brain damage. For anyone who knows brain anatomy and the nature of "damage" as well as the behaviors and cognitive processes which are integral to autism then this makes no sense whatsoever. However, there are likely reasons why we are more prone to brain damage, difficult births, etc., which are probably linked to our ASD. When one looks at brain damage and autism and finds the two occuring together, one needs to realize that this is simply a correlation, not a causation, and correlation cannot imply cause. In this case, I think that old addage is reliable because postmortem studies do not support brain damage as more than another trait, but not a causal link.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 6:06 pm

Asparval wrote:
edal wrote:
I'm not damaged, I am different.

Ed Almos

Me too, I'm the same, I'm different. :lol:

Same, here.