Do you have discussions with people in your head?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2021, 1:18 am

As an Aspergers?

And have you always had an inner voice telling you information and what to do?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:44 am

Technic1 wrote:
As an Aspergers?

Doesn't everybody?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:38 am

Just me and the s**t creatures, and the song sparrows, and Ricky the fake spider

And it is sometimes commentary, sometimes instructions, sometimes a blend.

Also now with all the creatures, I started talking Out loud to myself, wtf lol

Oh, and it helped me finally understand Walt Whitman, no s**t creatures are such hypocrites as humans

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 12:49 pm

Yes I think most people do. A kind of dialogue with self. I'll say something and then it's as if another person comments. All part of the process of subjecting my thoughts to critical evaluation. There's an air of imaginary friends about it, though I know perfectly well it's really all me. When I was a child I wasn't quite so sure, but I don't think I was ever absolutely convinced that the characters I made up were real. I don't give it a name or assign a personality to it these days.

Nonsense
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2021, 11:47 am

I have never had inner voice and it feels bizarre when lot of people talk about it like there's nothing strange about it. My thoughts are experienced directly instead of being given by some inner instructor. I can imagine having conversations, like thinking what I would say in some situation but there's nobody talking in my head.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:15 pm

No. It's always been just me and my thoughts.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:20 pm

Y'all should check out the section about non-ASD conditions. As far as I know, ASD in general has no 'hearing voices' component.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2021, 12:21 pm

Your thoughts are exactly what I mean, are you sure there yours.?

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:29 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Your thoughts are exactly what I mean, are you sure there yours.?

Yes, and there has never been any doubt.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

I'm not really sure how to respond. I can think in words, but I don't have a specific voice that says those things in my head? That's always confused me because it sounds like others have a distinct inner voice that says those things, and I don't have anything like that. I'm probably taking "inner voice" too literally though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm not really sure how to respond. I can think in words, but I don't have a specific voice that says those things in my head? That's always confused me because it sounds like others have a distinct inner voice that says those things, and I don't have anything like that. I'm probably taking "inner voice" too literally though.

Just the distinct part, I'm pretty sure inner monologues are typically in the person's own voice.

Mind you I can have additional ones that aren't really me or perceived as me while they're being used.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:04 pm

I have two different internal voices, one is kind of like a close friend talking to me but is not based on any actual person. Sometimes I find things easier to think about in a conversation-like style. The “friend” one gives advice/information, but not instructions or anything. It also teases/pokes fun at me a lot, in a lighthearted way (though also is the part that beats myself up about any mistakes). I never have any sort of conversations involving anyone/anything that isn’t just me, I don’t pretend I know what anyone else would say or anything, and it just doesn’t feel right to try to. I don’t even use anyone else’s fictional characters in any imaginings related to fictional works, I create my own.

I do not actually hear these voices, but there is a distinct imagined sound and tone, exactly as if I was reading.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:57 am

I obsessively practiced conversations with peers and teachers when I was in school. I was so unable to react to unexpected communication. It was so embarrassing And what I had planned never worked. It was terrifying.

Now, not so much. I've been through enough that I can handle most situations. I do admire people who are quick on their feet with this sort of stuff.

I do talk to myself, sometimes out loud. I have discovered that it helps me focus when I have a complicated task - and many of my work tasks are contemplated. Luckily, I work from home and there is no one to listen to me. It is just another tool I use to try to support my poor executive functioning.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 3:23 pm

Technic1 wrote:
As an Aspergers?

Yes! :)

Wreck It Ralph

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 2:39 pm

Technic1 wrote:
As an Aspergers?

Yes! :)

Often (but not every single day, mind you), two versions of my father (the "original version" and the "present-day" version) appear in my head and talk to me, but sometimes argue with each other in regards to what they think about anything they want to talk about. It's sometimes funny. :lol:

As a matter of fact, "they" run a gym together with the help of three other family members who have also passed.

The "original version" runs the front desk and the "present-day version" is a personal trainer.

The former always appears as overweight, dressing in casual clothes, always has a bottle of Mountain Dew with him, and sometimes popcorn. He always has his small amount of body ink on him because he served in the US Army. Whenever he put popcorn in the microwave, he always burnt it and got yelled at. Whenever he cooked brownies, he also burnt them and got yelled at with the same whenever he drank too much Mountain Dew.

The "present-day version" has thinning gray hair, wears glasses, has some weight issues (but is slowly losing weight), has no body ink at all, always has a bottle of water or sugar-free soda with him, and always has different attire whenever he visits. Sometimes, he has a suitcase with him although I don't know why he does this.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2021, 3:05 pm

The way I interpreted the thread title was thus:

If I know that I am going to have a "difficult conversation with someone" do I go over it for days before hand; yes.

If I have had a difficult conversation, or one the highlights my difficulties will I then review it afterwards over and over; yes.

So I can have "pretend" discussions with people I know before and after the event.