SCOTUS Says It Will Hear Abortion Case

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 10:34 am

Daily Beast

Quote:
The Supreme Court announced Monday morning that it will hear a challenge to a Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy, setting the scene for a major showdown that could threaten the landmark Roe v. Wade decision from 1973. It will be the first abortion case to be heard by the court since former President Donald Trump installed three conservative justices, including the latest addition—the vocal abortion critic Justice Amy Coney Barrett.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 11:08 am

This is what happens when you let men have opinions on abortion (they constitute nearly all of the opposition to it), and when you vote for people based on the number of times they “menshun Gawd(TM)”.

No uterus, no opinion, unless you’re in favor of it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 11:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
This is what happens when you let men have opinions on abortion (they constitute nearly all of the opposition to it), and when you vote for people based on the number of times they “menshun Gawd(TM)”.

Where did your get your info on that? I don't think I even know a pro-abortion woman.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 12:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

To be fair, I don't respect anti-choice women any more than anti-choice men.

This isn't a problem with men, it's a problem with religious buttheads wanting to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:00 pm

You can be both anti-abortion and pro-choice. I've known a couple of women who were on that page.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:25 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

This isn't a problem with men, it's a problem with religious buttheads wanting to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.

So no atheist would ever be anti-abortion?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:33 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
This is what happens when you let men have opinions on abortion (they constitute nearly all of the opposition to it), and when you vote for people based on the number of times they “menshun Gawd(TM)”.  No uterus, no opinion, unless you’re in favor of it.
To be fair, I don't respect anti-choice women any more than anti-choice men.  This isn't a problem with men, it's a problem with religious buttheads wanting to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.
Too simplistic, unless the person saying so is an Evangelical/Fundamental Christian (FEC), Republican (GOP), and an anti-abortion advocate.  The categories would appear as overlapping circles in a Venn diagram.

It is more likely that a person advocating against women's reproductive rights is male, GOP, and FEC; but females, non-GOP, and non-FECs may also be anti-choice.

Simply put: "It is complicated".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:46 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I was involved with an atheist who was anti-abortion. She was also pro-choice. Her reasons for being against it weren't religious, just her own personal beliefs that she didn't believe in imposing on anyone else.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 1:06 pm

I truly doubt anybody is "pro-abortion." No matter how one slices it, abortion terminates the life of someone before they are able to be born.

I believe in the woman's right to "choose." I don't believe "abortion" should be a criminal offense.

In my mind, I wish the condom from the guy would have done its job, and that the guy made sure that the condom was leak-proof--and that the woman, if she didn't want a baby, should have taken the "morning after" pill, if available.

Obviously, both the man and the woman are responsible--except in cases of rape.

Abortion is absolutely a lose-lose situation.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:59 pm

Meanwhile in Texas...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/texas-governor-signs-law-restricting-abortion/ar-BB1gUHf3?ocid=uxbndlbing

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 2:09 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
You can be both anti-abortion and pro-choice. I've known a couple of women who were on that page.

That's me.

I'm against abortion. I could never do it. But, I want that to be MY CHOICE rather than the government's.

I consider myself pro-choice, even though my choice is no.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 4:29 am

What I want to know is why these states keep pushing these laws despite similar and even less stringent laws already having been struck down.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 5:34 pm

Yeah, I recently read about this, which could gradually start to erode the foundations or base of Roe Vs Wade.
Am I saying, it could be struck down? Potentially yes, yet difficult to absolutely know for sure as, the majority of the Supreme Court justices tend to be religiously influenced in general.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 2:06 am

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Lawyers for the state of Mississippi urged the Supreme Court on Thursday to overturn Roe v. Wade, taking a more aggressive approach than the one they presented when they asked the court to hear the case a year ago.

The case for overturning the two main decisions that legalized abortion in the U.S. — Roe v. Wade in 1973 and a later case, 1992's Planned Parenthood v. Casey — is overwhelming, the state said. "The conclusion that abortion is a constitutional right has no basis in text, structure, history, or tradition," it said.

By ruling that a state may not impose an undue burden on a right to abortion, the Supreme Court has placed itself "at the center of a controversy that it can never resolve."

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/mississippi-asks-u-s-supreme-court-overturn-roe-v-wade-n1274808

An explanation of the case (and this change to it):