Why Do People Feel the Need to Comment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2021, 11:59 am

I've been playing this online game where people communicate via typed messages (a chat) within the game. So if you're actively playing the game, you hit the pause button, a screen comes up with a chat box where you type your message, then send it. Once it's sent, everyone playing or watching can see that message and who it's from. If you want to send a message to only your teammates, you do the same thing but have to click a different button before sending it. So basically, to chat during a game, you have to stop playing long enough to type the message and send it.

What annoys me is when a player messes up during a game and another player feels the need to type in "lol." I see this a lot. Some players do this and others don't.

I don't understand the need to do that. Why? What is the point of stopping for 10 seconds or so to send a message of "lol" for everyone to see? Why do they need everyone else to know they thought it was funny? Why not keep it to themselves? Sometimes, that's the only thing people will say during the game. Are these people a-holes? What is the point of laughing at someone elses mistake, especially when it's a teammate they should be supporting?

When someone does that to me, it doesn't inspire me to play better. It gets me flustered and I either screw up or get upset to the point of losing interest in playing. I think if I were a really good player I wouldn't care so much because everyone makes mistakes. But I'm not a good player, I'm not getting better, and some people don't care much for me because they don't like the way I play.

I thought maybe the people doing this were younger people under 26 or so, but some of them are in their 30s. All males, of course. And maybe that has something to do with it. This behavior seems to be more of a male thing. I've not seen the females making fun of other players. There is one guy who is a really good player, he might make the "lol" at other players, but he also laughs at his own mistakes and even points them out. He's a good guy, I have no problems with him.

Of course, I also don't understand why players feel the need to talk to each other. I'm there to play, not socialize.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:12 pm

Just play the game to win......who cares if some idiot makes a comment?

That would be my attitude----if I got into these sorts of games.

Fortunately, I'm from the generation that didn't have the Internet at all until we reached our 30s.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:32 pm

What? :lol: It's a form of expression.
And the context varies from situation to situation.

Not necessarily a comment, nor an invitation or expression to desire to socializing, nor even a form of point and laugh at.

You can freely ignore them and let them waste their time. :P

Reply at your own risk (since you do not desire online gaming socialization) even one expressing disapproval.

And it's not necessarily a male thing. Not really. I would know.
It's more of a casual or not-serious entertainment thing because it is a game.

It could be a demographic thing for all you know if you play internationally.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2021, 2:47 pm

Edna3362 wrote:

And it's not necessarily a male thing. Not really. I would know.
It's more of a casual or not-serious entertainment thing because it is a game.

It could be a demographic thing for all you know if you play internationally.

I meant that males tend to be more serious and competitive about the game. They're the ones that tend to be sore losers and rage quit. They're the ones that have to pick on other players. I've not seen these types of problems from female players. Though, some of them do create a different type of problem that's just as annoying. Thankfully, I rarely have to play with them. This reminds me of high school P.E. class where the boys would take everything so seriously and get so upset with the girls for not doing well. The girls didn't care if they won or lost, but it was like life and death to the boys. Even over a silly game of bat ball (playing baseball with a gigantamous bouncy ball).

I do notice that the American and British players tend to be nicer and more relaxed. I expected Americans to be the worst, but no.

It just upsets me when players laugh at other players for making a mistake. These are the types of things that drive away new players who become quickly discouraged. I've seen it numerous times. The whole community is dwindling everyday.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:33 pm

If people didn't have an instinct to share their thoughts, I wouldn't be typing this, detectives would have to work far harder, and we'd probably still be competing with other human species. We also have an instinct to play games. Your instincts are less balanced than usual.