mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2021, 2:27 pm

I tried to update my profile and I get this message:

------------------
Access Denied
Allow Request

You have been blocked from entering information on this blog. In order to prevent this from happening in the future you may ask the owner to add your network address to a list that allows you full access.

Please enter your email address and a short note requesting access here.
------------------

I already entered my email and message into the box about a month ago and nothing happened.

Could someone please fix this so I can update my profile? I don't understand why I can post messages but I can't edit my profile. If my IP is blocked or something, all you had to do was unblock it when I sent that message weeks ago.

:x

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 2:38 pm

That's definitely a system glitch, but it's still annoying. When you get that message, try this:

Log out.

Go to WP without logging in.

Pick a random thread and click "Reply", as if you are going to reply to the person.

It will ask you to log in.

Usually people can log in that way even when they get that weird message.

I know that you're able to log in, and it's just the location you can't update .... but if you log in that way maybe the location glitch will undo itself and you'll be able to change it?

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2021, 12:25 am

Nope. Didn't work.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2021, 10:07 am

The error quite probably is related to your network (IP) address, as it suggests.

Please try to make the change again and, once you've received the error message, search for what's my IP in your browser. This should return a string of four numbers: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - please copy/paste that and PM me mentioning the issue. Thus far you've used 40 different IP addresses, so I can't know which of them might be causing a problem.
Sometimes, when IPs are banned as belonging to a troll or spammer they can get re-used, causing issues like this.

I'm not sure why you're clearly able to post but not able to update your profile; I'm guessing some part of the forum software is using an IP list that others are not.

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2021, 4:29 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Thus far you've used 40 different IP addresses, so I can't know which of them might be causing a problem.

OMG! lol. That's kind of creepy that you know that. Yes, I used to have dialup until 2019 and almost everytime I connected to the internet I'd get a different IP address.

I resolved the issue I was having. I used a cell phone as a hotspot and was able to change my profile info. So that does mean that there's a problem with my IP address.

I've sent you a PM with my IP address. I'd like to know what the specific issue is.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 May 2021, 7:30 am

mj1 wrote:
I'd like to know what the specific issue is.
And so would I... :lol:

A per my PM, the IP doesn't appear to be blocked here but there may be some other mechanism involved - and to investigate that, you'd need to PM Alex about it.
Having resolved the issue via a cell phone would certainly indicate that your IP is being blocked, but I'm afraid I can't see how - it's apparently above my pay grade.

I'm so sorry I can't be of more help.