Water: aluminum, plastic and glass. Does the taste change?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2021, 4:51 pm

Drinking water in a container made of aluminum, plastic or glass.
Do you think that the water feel less good in a plastic bottle, or a glass or a aluminum cup?

sorry for bad english

Special Interest: memes

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:06 pm

As for plastic containers I have found taste of water in one to depend on the quality of the plastic and how long it has been in the container.

Where I have lived for the last 14 years is a small farm town which gets its city water from a river.
The water is full of minerals, and in addition to that the river is frequently running high or low and at both times the city water tastes even more like dirt than it usually does.

With that creating a situation where pretty much any purchased water in any material container is going to taste better than what comes out of the faucet, I don't know whether I can give a realistic answer to the question.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:21 pm

Yes. The taste definately changes with the container it is in. Plastic is the most noticeable. Aluminium cans are also noticeable. Steel cans are not so noticeable because they have a protective coating but they do have a faint taste. I have not noticed a taste with glass though.

Something I don't like at all (I can't use at all) is card/paper cups and especially wood or paper/card straws. It is the texture and the taste that turns on me. Texture more then anything. The way they feel in my mouth. I feel like my stomache is turning insideout! I can just about manage paper cups if they are smooth, but paper straws or wooden spoons? No way! Give me plastic any day. I am happy with plastic spoons and straws.

I will use a wooden chip fork because I am not letting my mouth touch it, but spoons and straws... Noooooooo!

I just don't know how others can use them.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:29 pm

^^ Aluminum cans wouldn't last a day without a plastic liner to contain the colas.
I keep my water in glass, and won't keep tomato-containing food in metal. The town water here is RO filtered, but I leave it in the sun for a while to get the chlorine out before I drink it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:32 pm

I like water very cold, in a clear glass, with lots of ice. I don't even like coloured glass.

I agree that paper straws are nasty, and I won't use them. I don't like using straws at all. My mother always taught me that straws lead to cavities because they direct the drink behind your front teeth. Most people use straws for sugary drinks, so I never got in the habit of using one.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:35 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ Aluminum cans wouldn't last a day without a plastic liner to contain the colas.
I keep my water in glass, and won't keep tomato-containing food in metal. The town water here is RO filtered, but I leave it in the sun for a while to get the chlorine out before I drink it.

I have not been able to drink our tap water because of the chlorine and fizzy aluminium they use. We get chlorine gas coming through the tap, and sometimes the water fizzes when they clean it with aluminium stuff they put in it to clean the water mains pipes.
I have to drink bottled aater, and when they use too much, I can't wash or bath in it as it effects my skin.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:08 pm

NYC water, straight out of the tap, is one of the most delicious waters around!

I prefer it to bottled water.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:16 pm

Dear_one wrote:

I have not noticed it on aluminium. I need to look the next time I open one up. I use aluminium cans to make loco nameplates.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:21 pm

I like the taste of water from paper cups and plastic bottles. I am also probably going to get stomach cancer when I turn 50 because of how many old plastic bottles I drank water out of as a kid, but oh well. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 7:03 pm

I'd rather drink out of a plastic cup than an aluminum can, in general.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 7:20 pm

+1

Yes, containers do change the taste of water.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 9:51 pm

I think cold drinks taste best out of glass.
Cans are probably second best, they seem to stay much colder for much longer.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 12:40 am

I don't like water. I drink a lot of green tea instead. I always use a porcelain mug. Drinking out of a can, plastic or paper just doesn't feel right to me, so I only do that if I'm really thirsty and there's no other container, and I try to make sure that doesn't happen. I don't know if it makes the taste any different.

I think it's more the texture and the feeling that it's some modern disposable thing that repels me. Porcelain just feels like a proper drinking container.

It ties in nicely with the ecology thing I suppose, so if anybody was trying to nag me into recycling more or whatever, I could counter by asking them how much disposable crap they got through in a year. When I was young there were hardly any canned drinks, or plastic / paper containers, so part of it might be reluctance to change. I tend to see a lot of aspects of the modern world as cheap and nasty, and most of the stuff that's been invented in the last few decades as being pointless rubbish that businesses have made up and got people trained into thinking it's worth buying. There are a lot of exceptions, i.e. modern inventions I have some practical use for, but drinking vessels aren't among them.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 1:06 am

I had to go to India to learn how to drink from a tap easily. Just cup your hand to form a shallow container, continuously re-filled, and drink from the edge of it. The taste from an iron pipe may be noticeable.
There are places that still use cedar water mains. Copper plumbing no longer has even a hint of lead, but I still prefer the old stuff to any of the modern plastic pipes. They overpower the effect of the final container, except as regards the taste of the rim.

BTW, if you still use frozen orange juice, you can improve the flavour just by pouring it briskly between containers to get some air into the mix.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:36 am

I try not to buy bottled drinking water because of the effect of plastic on the environment. We do buy distilled water in one-gallon plastic jugs for my husband's CPAP (sleep apnea equipment). If I need to take water with me, I have a stainless steel thermos.

At home I like to drink water that comes from our Brita filter. But I'm OK with drinking it straight from the tap, I just prefer the idea of filtered water.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:59 am

Since our tap water is as good as or better than bottled water, I never buy those. I also detest carbonated water or water with added tastes like lemon, lime etc.
As for materials of the glass/cup, I definitely prefer glass, and the shape of the glass is also important - it should be a large glass with thin (but not too thin) brims.
I have preferences for coffee mugs, tea cups etc too. And for silverware. I'm a bit picky when it comes to those things...

/Mats