Are periods supposed to get "worse" as you get older?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

SharonB wrote:
Personal experiences: (1) My cramps were awful early in my life and are nearly non existent in my late 40s. Come to think of it, I did have some fibroids removed along the way. I don't recall if the decrease in cramping correlated to that. (2) My sister had it go the opposite way: nary a cramp early in life and severe cramps in her 40s. In her case, she changed her diet and the cramps lessened, coincidentally or not.

Wishing you good doctor care and relief.

An odd thing is, I noticed that my periods started getting "worse" like this a few years ago, around the time I lost weight and changed my diet (they got better until recently though). I wasn't underweight or anything, either. :scratch:

That's probably just correlation and not causation, but still is odd since I've heard weight loss is supposed to help that.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
robotrecall wrote:
What about irregular periods? I had a late period by 2 weeks in April, and I skipped completely in June. Today, my period is spotty.

Did you get Covid vaccines in those months?

They mess with women's cycles.

I didn't realize they did that, that's interesting.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:14 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Every hormonal changes seem to get worse in my case. Pre- and post-menstrual more so.

In fact, my periods by itself seem to get better while ovulations getting worse.

My sister's periods get worse.
At least we knew why and found out at random during her work (she's a radiologist and her boss had her checked). It's been treated.
Still more painful than mine.

Not my case though. Never checked it, never had any treatments for it. Yet.
And barely minded any pain.

That's very interesting! I think some aspects of pre- and post-menstruation have gotten better for me, and some have gotten worse. That might be unrelated to my issues with my actual period though and more due to me getting older.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 6:12 pm

More anecdotal experience....

I used to get really painful cramps, but I discovered that taking extra iron during menstruation completely kills the cramps :D

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 11:03 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
More anecdotal experience....

I used to get really painful cramps, but I discovered that taking extra iron during menstruation completely kills the cramps :D

I'll try that! I think I noticed that when I was taking a multivitamin with iron it helped a bit, so maybe just taking iron will help, too.

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:08 pm

1 - yeah, I think it's pretty normal for them to get worse (or better, if you're lucky) -- my cramps got a lot less severe, but the PMS got absolutely horrible. I celebrated wholeheartedly when I went through early menopause!

2 - one thing that I thought seemed to make them worse, and especially big blood clots, was eating red meat. Something about the kind of proteins, maybe. I don't know if the connection was real, but if you're a meat eater, it wouldn't hurt to experiment with laying off it right before and during your period.