End of lockdown apparently in danger again.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 5:14 am

In the UK restrictions are supposed to end on the 21st next month's. Unfortunately that's ok doubt yet gain because if the Indian variant (don't worry folks, still about 190 countries to go through).

Best take the vaccine when offered as now apparently the people who refuse one might be used as an excuse.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9590709/Boris-gathers-Cabinet-amid-claims-close-nil-chance-June-21-unlocking.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 3:56 pm

Indeed....I can certainly see vaccinated individuals as becoming a "privileged" group.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Indeed....I can certainly see vaccinated individuals as becoming a "privileged" group.

Damn..... I only just realised all the typos. I need to get out of the habit of making posts during short work breaks.

It's a tricky ethical conundrum. I can understand why people don't want the vaccine but at the same time I won't be particularly happy with the people who refused their vaccine should they be used as an excuse for another lockdown.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:36 pm

2 points interest me in this from JAMA, https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2777785

Quote:
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that even after they’re fully vaccinated, people should continue to mask up and socially distance in public places in part because they could still unknowingly become infected and, although asymptomatic, transmit SARS-CoV-2 to people who haven’t yet received their shots.

And, earlier in text,

Quote:
One reason SARS-CoV-2 is throwing out variants and will continue to do so is because relatively few people globally have been vaccinated, Norman Baylor, PhD, a former director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research and Review, noted in an interview. “This virus is like, ‘Yep, I’ve got plenty of people I can infect, and the more I replicate, the more I can mutate,’” Baylor said.

Immediately before the above,
Quote:
That’s to be expected, Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), told JAMA Editor in Chief Howard Bauchner, MD, in a February 3 podcast. Regardless of the platform on which the vaccine is based, Fauci said, “you still have a fixed immunogen and a virus that’s changing. Sooner or later, you’re going to get a mutant that evades that.”

Source:

March 17, 2021

COVID-19 Vaccines vs Variants—Determining How Much Immunity Is Enough

Rita Rubin, MA

JAMA. 2021;325(13):1241-1243. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.3370

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:43 pm

Hmm. Well, it is May now, so what's the current?
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le=2777785

Quote:
Do Vaccines Protect Against Infection and Prevent Transmission?
Having COVID-19 vaccines that prevent infection and transmission will be critical to stopping the pandemic, but there is not yet clear evidence that this occurs. Protection against transmission may be difficult to prove because a decline in infections may be due to multiple factors. Preliminary data from phase 3 trials suggest some reduction in asymptomatic infection after vaccination. Early results from Israel suggest a decline in infections and symptomatic disease after vaccination.3 It would be unusual if the vaccines did not prevent infection, but the extent of protection is unknown.

Source:
March 4, 2021
COVID-19 in 2021—Continuing Uncertainty
Carlos del Rio, MD1; Preeti Malani, MD, MSJ2,3
JAMA. 2021;325(14):1389-1390. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.3760