Official Diagnosis, and Grief? Denial? Not sure

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2021, 2:05 pm

Hi,

I am new here, well it's been a few weeks and I joined because I was awaiting an evaluation and diagnosis. Within the last few weeks, I have been evaluated and diagnosed with ASD. The second from my therapist and the final diagnosis came yesterday, following a 1.5-hour discussion with the neuropsychologist.

I live on my own, and take care of myself to the best of my ability. I don't have parents or anyone to take care of me or do for me so I have had to figure things out through lots of trial and error, and still through trial and error. A lot of women on the spectrum have PTSD in addition to ASD just due to a lot of abuses we may have experienced, I am one of those women.

Anyways, since being diagnosed, I am having a hard time letting it sink in. I have fought so hard against myself and my differences neurologically that it is incredibly difficult to accept this, and what it means. I know, labels don't matter but I think it's important to recognize and care for myself in this new light. When I look back at my life, it's so upsetting how it went, because I didn't know and will be better now because I know, but it's like I am having a hard time with adjusting to what I really am like, I have refused to accept myself my whole life, and tried to be normal like everyone else and deny any special need or want, and just raged against myself and hurt myself to deal with life even the things hurt, were uncomfortable, abrasive, so on and so forth just for the sake of appearing normal, acting normal, and meeting NT expectations.

I am quite sensitive right now, so I would prefer not to be trolled or attacked, but if you have any experience with this or guidance, or thoughts, please share them. I am not sure I will respond but if I can muster the energy I will try.

It's like realizing the whole time I have been walking on a tightrope, and just looked down for the first time. Or realizing I am on the truman show or something. Just a veil pulled back.

Thanks,

Browneyedgirl

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 3:43 pm

Haha. I feel on the Truman Show as this is similar to my lifes experience...

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

StickBugette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2021, 7:31 am

Hey, there is a good book called "Knowing Why" about adult-diagnosed autistics. You might want to take a look.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2021, 8:06 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Thx

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2021, 8:07 am

StickBugette wrote:
Hey, there is a good book called "Knowing Why" about adult-diagnosed autistics. You might want to take a look.

Hi. I started reading it. Thank you for this book suggestion. It's helpful.

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:46 am

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Thx

Welcome...

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 2:01 pm

Right there with you. Diagnosed a year ago. I had convinced myself I was normal - so had a hard time answering questions. Do I have anxiety? No, but I am agitated and upset All The Time. ...Guess what? I have Anxiety. Who knew? When I looked back at school-aged correspondence it was wild how many times I was called "strange". Well, everyone's strange in their way, right? Apparently some more than others.

There are five stages of grief according to that popular whatever it's called. Expect to go through all of them, repeatedly, at different times, at the same time, etc. Completely normal. As normal as we are, albeit a minority. :wink:

You've found your Tribe! Welcome!! !!

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2021, 1:39 pm

SharonB wrote:
Right there with you. Diagnosed a year ago. I had convinced myself I was normal - so had a hard time answering questions. Do I have anxiety? No, but I am agitated and upset All The Time. ...Guess what? I have Anxiety. Who knew? When I looked back at school-aged correspondence it was wild how many times I was called "strange". Well, everyone's strange in their way, right? Apparently some more than others.

There are five stages of grief according to that popular whatever it's called. Expect to go through all of them, repeatedly, at different times, at the same time, etc. Completely normal. As normal as we are, albeit a minority. :wink:

You've found your Tribe! Welcome!! ! !

Hi, thanks for responding. Yes, similar experience with not knowing I was anxious, stimming, so many other things. I have also looked back at school records and spoken to people in my life that are much older and seen me as a kid and I was called El strango for a long time..this says so much.

It's been a week since identification and I've been so much more gentle and kind with myself. I've stopped attacking myself for needing alone time, quiet, I even bought myself some head phones and listen to music quietly while coloring instead of berating myself for wanting to. There are so many areas of my life where I just attacked myself and tried to shape myself into someone "normal". Even saying no now...because I can sense now that I don't actually want some things or experiences and it's been amazing. It's slow going but still there is some changes happening and I'm grateful. Sorry I just ranted.

How is it going for you now a year later? What sort of changes/adjustments have you made?

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2021, 2:06 am

Hi,

I am new here, well it's been a few weeks and I joined because I was awaiting an evaluation and diagnosis. Within the last few weeks, I have been evaluated and diagnosed with ASD. The second from my therapist and the final diagnosis came yesterday, following a 1.5-hour discussion with the neuropsychologist.

I live on my own, and take care of myself to the best of my ability. I don't have parents or anyone to take care of me or do for me so I have had to figure things out through lots of trial and error, and still through trial and error. A lot of women on the spectrum have PTSD in addition to ASD just due to a lot of abuses we may have experienced, I am one of those women.

Anyways, since being diagnosed, I am having a hard time letting it sink in. I have fought so hard against myself and my differences neurologically that it is incredibly difficult to accept this, and what it means. I know, labels don't matter but I think it's important to recognize and care for myself in this new light. When I look back at my life, it's so upsetting how it went, because I didn't know and will be better now because I know, but it's like I am having a hard time with adjusting to what I really am like, I have refused to accept myself my whole life, and tried to be normal like everyone else and deny any special need or want, and just raged against myself and hurt myself to deal with life even the things hurt, were uncomfortable, abrasive, so on and so forth just for the sake of appearing normal, acting normal, and meeting NT expectations.

I am quite sensitive right now, so I would prefer not to be trolled or attacked, but if you have any experience with this or guidance, or thoughts, please share them. I am not sure I will respond but if I can muster the energy I will try.

It's like realizing the whole time I have been walking on a tightrope, and just looked down for the first time. Or realizing I am on the truman show or something. Just a veil pulled back.

Thanks,

Browneyedgirl

You may be on your way to finding your own spot in the world. Having a lot of rocky experiences is normal for autistic women. I would encourage you not to give up. You are probably getting isolated due to living alone. Do you have any goals in life?

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2021, 8:44 am

idntonkw wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Browneyedgirl

You may be on your way to finding your own spot in the world. Having a lot of rocky experiences is normal for autistic women. I would encourage you not to give up. You are probably getting isolated due to living alone. Do you have any goals in life?

Hi, thanks for responding. I live with my offspring and dog. I have a boyfriend. I also have a career. Goals? I have some..maybe 5 to 6. I do think I need to re-evaluate everything though, through this new lens, because I don't know if maybe some of my pursuits are quite right for me. I think that I have maybe been doing too many things to be "normal" that I am not sure where I end and the facade begins.

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2021, 11:26 am

At first, I was relieved that my suspicions were validated. But, since then think I might be in a little bit of denial, because I feel so “normal”. Like, if I were diagnosed with acute appendicitis, the catalyst would be sudden, obvious and abnormal physical symptoms.

But with this, there is no sudden onset; I realize that while everything about me is normal to ME, my diagnosis is based on the NT world’s perception of me. I think that’s the part I’m still getting used to.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2021, 1:02 pm

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
At first, I was relieved that my suspicions were validated. But, since then think I might be in a little bit of denial, because I feel so “normal”. Like, if I were diagnosed with acute appendicitis, the catalyst would be sudden, obvious and abnormal physical symptoms.

But with this, there is no sudden onset; I realize that while everything about me is normal to ME, my diagnosis is based on the NT world’s perception of me. I think that’s the part I’m still getting used to.

Yes I keep thinking, holy s**t .the things other people have noticed about me or judged me on and I had no idea!

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 6:27 pm

...Even saying no now...because I can sense now that I don't actually want some things or experiences and it's been amazing. It's slow going but still there is some changes happening and I'm grateful. ...

How is it going for you now a year later? What sort of changes/adjustments have you made?

In so short a time, I'd say you're a fast adapter! It's taken me a year to starting saying "no" confidently (calmly). I now use ear plugs at crowded (noisy) events and when my kids are especially loud. I got polarized sunglasses and am using them more. I notice when I am stimming and sometimes relax into it (rocking while standing). I am better about informing others when my agitation level reaches 5 (b/c it's hard to tell outwardly before I hit 7 and explode). I still struggle to have grace for myself, but I'm getting there. I've done some tapping and imaging to manage my anxiety. I'm much more myself with my parents, but still masking pretty heavily with others. I have started casually preparing a person for what I need: "Specifics would be helpful for me..." [then ask 6 of the 10 Qs I have :wink: ]. It's a work in progress. Although my anxiety persists, I am happier.

Wishing you well for your continuing journey.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2021, 11:16 am

SharonB wrote:
...Even saying no now...because I can sense now that I don't actually want some things or experiences and it's been amazing. It's slow going but still there is some changes happening and I'm grateful. ...

In so short a time, I'd say you're a fast adapter! It's taken me a year to starting saying "no" confidently (calmly). I now use ear plugs at crowded (noisy) events and when my kids are especially loud. I got polarized sunglasses and am using them more. I notice when I am stimming and sometimes relax into it (rocking while standing). I am better about informing others when my agitation level reaches 5 (b/c it's hard to tell outwardly before I hit 7 and explode). I still struggle to have grace for myself, but I'm getting there. I've done some tapping and imaging to manage my anxiety. I'm much more myself with my parents, but still masking pretty heavily with others. I have started casually preparing a person for what I need: "Specifics would be helpful for me..." [then ask 6 of the 10 Qs I have :wink: ]. It's a work in progress. Although my anxiety persists, I am happier.

Wishing you well for your continuing journey.

I am still figuring out so many things though, so I dunno if I am really a fast adapter. I have started wearing headphones too while out and about. I really like how you said, work in progress, I think so too, it's like unmasking...very slowly and to different degrees in various places. I am happier too...same to you

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41