Geese are the bravest animals in the animal kingdom

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 11:57 pm

These savages fear nothing. And I mean nothing.

A group of geese were blocking the road. I tried honking. No effect. I moved my car closer as if about to run them over. Literally unfazed and didnt flinch. When I threw a rock at the geese's area without hitting the geese but aiming in their area to frighten them, still unfazed and unmoved. I got out, charged them with my broom in the back of my car, and not only did they not budge, they at one point came closer to me as if challenging me to a fight.

My God it is as if these animals are insensible to fear. I at one point tried to attack only for the geese to spread their wings, hiss, and intimidate me!!

Im from Minnesota and these animals are the scourge of our state. the worst thing about them is that they're unable to be intimidated and if need be they're not afraid to pick a fight. Size doesnt scare them.

Master Oogway

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:39 am

They are much easier to get around on a bike

I though I would miss the downtown Vancouver geese, which sound a lot like yours.

Sure they s**t buckets, but they ain’t no s**t creatures like rats and raykins [and shithawks]

Ps Never fight a goose, they are level with your groin and not stupid

I guess if cornered you could stoop to their level

I’ve never actually seen a Canada goose fight dirty in this way, but for pet white geese, 100% go for the groin with gusto

ImageImage

Kind of looks premeditated?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:19 am

It is not justified to lump an entire species together

You only interacted with a couple of geese

Not all geese act the same

Just like not all humans act the same

You can't measure bravery

Sometimes fear is justified

Hyperbole

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:25 am

I have a lot of respect for geese. There are a lot of them in my home town, at least four different species. For something that's so deliscous, they're not shy around humans. I've only once had one physically attack me. It wasn't actually very good at fighting humans. I was worried about the beak, but instead it kept trying to body-slam my legs while I prodded it with an umbrella. The zoologist Konrad Lorenz did a lot of work studying the behaviour of wild geese, and even encouraged them to wander through his house. He praised them for their loyalty and courage.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:30 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
For something that's so deliscous, they're not shy around humans. I've only once had one physically attack me. It wasn't actually very good at fighting humans. I was worried about the beak, but instead it kept trying to body-slam my legs while I prodded it with an umbrella.

If a goose attacks me you can guarantee I'll be eating poultry to celebrate it's poor judgment.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:13 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
It is not justified to lump an entire species together

You only interacted with a couple of geese

Not all geese act the same

Just like not all humans act the same

You can't measure bravery

Sometimes fear is justified

Hyperbole

A couple of Geese?

Im from Minnesota. Plus Canadians who regularly interact with Geese say the same thing. Geese are everywhere in Minnesota and interactions like I described in the OP are very common. So common in fact with my own eyes I have witnessed geese standing in the middle of a busy road and refused to budge even when trucks tried charging them to scare them off.

Master Oogway

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 12:42 pm

We have a "goose crossing" on Marcus Avenue in Lake Success, NY.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:24 pm

Hmmmm...

I wonder if that's how the word "goose" got to be a verb, as well as a noun.

As in "to goose" someone.

White domestic farm geese go for the human genitals in a fight. Didnt know that before.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:56 pm

Bees are braver.

A goose will attack plenty of things, but what won't a bee try to sting? And they die as a result.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Bees are braver.

A goose will attack plenty of things, but what won't a bee try to sting? And they die as a result.

bees are suicidal.

if you swat a bee or shoo it away it flinches reflexively as any animal in the animal kingdom would and back away even if temporarily.

Geese where I live dont even flinch when shooed or threatened with feign gestures of attack. They look stoically and dont move but even try to attack back.

badasses if I ever saw any

Master Oogway

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:35 pm

Are geese animals? I thought they were birds?

I am not sure about geese as we have ducks which can be more vicious. We had to kill one male which kept attacking us, and it was not its beek we had to worry about. It was its claws on its feet. They would slice straight through our skin. Also if it were a dog or a cat and while it attacked me I grabbed it and threw it across the field it would think twice before attacking again... But not so with the duck we had. It was thick with it so it kept attacking again and again. I had to pin it to the floor with my foot putting more weight then I dare and even then it kept attacking some more when I let go. We had to kill it.
My experience with geese is that they use their beeks more so are easier to handle if they attack. Just go for their necks and grab them! I had to do that with one goose. It did then think twice and give me a break once it knew it would get the "Grab neck" treatment! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:45 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Since when are birds not animals? :chin:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 4:09 pm

Coots and moorhens will chase off geese, despite being a quarter the size.

So they win.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 4:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I thought animals had four legs?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 4:50 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I thought animals had four legs?

Not under the standard definition. In some old-fashioned uses animals are distinguished from fishes, birds and vermin, but ultimately fishes, birds and vermin are subcategories of animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal

Basically, if it's got more than one cell, isn't a plant and isn't a fungus it's an animal.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2021, 4:54 pm

I once put my finger under a bee which was struggling in a pond, drowning, lifted it out then placed it on a nearby twig to dry out and recover.
I like to think it quietly whispered "thanks, human" in Beeish - but it didn't sting me or even try. I suspect they instinctively know that an act of aggression on their part is both short and one-way.

Wasps, on the other hand - or worse, hornets. Damn those things are outright aggressive.
I had one the size of a light aircraft "inspecting" me, buzzing round a few times checking me out. Do not attempt to swat it away - it will attack.

And geese? They gang up like noisy feathered assassins; that beak is at peak danger height too, primed to make a life-altering "adjustment" to male anatomy.
But the bird I encountered with the most murderous intent was a cockerel in full breeding fettle, which would fly at invaders (ie. literally anything not a chicken) with claws to the front. Even a spray from a hosepipe wouldn't stop it and the only means of escape was warily backing off out through the coop's gate.