Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 1:39 am

Fnord wrote:
Who is "Art"?  Why do you love him?  Why should anyone hate him?

I prefer Paul over Art, but I couldn't imagine "Bridge Over Troubled Water" being sung by anyone else; even if Paul wrote it, he knew only Art could handle it vocally. Also, "99 Miles from L.A." was catchy.

Go easy on Mr. Garfunkel.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 1:49 am

I mean it really depends on the art, whether I like it or not...though I consider music as art as well, but as for like visual art some of it I like and some of it I don't like but same with music.

For instance I appreciate the existance of like jazz music, as it even probably had influences into other styles of music....but I hate listening to it, like I want to turn it off if I hear it, but I respect it's an important and influential style of music. But I still hate it, listening to it does not give any auditory pleasure. But same with visual art either I really like what I am looking at, kind of like it, or I hate it and don't desire to see it again.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 8:28 am

This topic has recently become interesting to me. I started painting a few months ago after treating art - whether creating, studying, observing, as something to be avoided for over half a century. What changed is rather significant but not really germane, so let me skip that and get to why I avoided and declared that I hated art for most of my life...

"How does the painting make you feel, AngelL?"

Apparently, "It doesn't make me feel anything" is the wrong answer. As a matter of fact, every response that I've ever had to any query ever about art has been just one more 'wrong' answer. Ironically, my wrong answer quite often comes on the heels of someone explaining to me that there are no 'wrong answers'. Anywho, I started painting a few months ago, as I said. I hired an art teacher from lessons.com and worked with her for two months, meeting once a week. I sent her a couple of questions via e-mail regarding the previous lesson, which I had been invited to do, and got fired.

And so, apparently I don't understand art any better after a couple months of lessons. That said, I don't hate art. I don't understand it - that's a given, but what I really hate is that art simply became one more way to drill into me that I am not normal, that not normal is 'bad', and therefore I, by extension, am also 'bad', 'wrong', 'broken', etc. I've found it hard to embrace those things that hurt when I do. I suppose it's why more people don't have pet cacti.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 8:29 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I prefer Paul over Art, but I couldn't imagine "Bridge Over Troubled Water" being sung by anyone else; even if Paul wrote it, he knew only Art could handle it vocally. Also, "99 Miles from L.A." was catchy.

Go easy on Mr. Garfunkel.

Flippin' brilliant! I :heart: this! Brightened my whole morning! Thanks.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 8:46 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I met someone once who said they didn't like music. Period. No music at all of any genre! They said they absolutely hated all music. This was in the 1980s but I've never stopped thinking about it. I can't even imagine that. I thought it was rather natural for people to respond to at least SOME music.

It might have been me. Back in the 1980's I definitely claimed to hate music. My choice of the word 'claimed' doesn't mean I wasn't being truthful as I saw it, but since then I've realized that it wasn't actually music I hated, but many things surrounding music. For instance:

It was decided, shortly after I turned five years old, that I was a musical prodigy. Five hours of practice a day, seven days a week at five years old will get anyone to sour on music. I refused to play within a year.

Listening to (some) music, while enjoyable, takes me right to the edge of overwhelmed. ANY other visual or audio input while I'm listening to music destroys the experience for me and frustrates me. Seriously 'any'. On a couple of occasions, while hyper-focused on what I was listening to, eyes shut to block out more input, over-the-ear headphones on...there is a lull in the music and...arggghhhhhhhhhh! Darn heartbeat...

The last five cars I've owned, I don't know if the radio worked or not - never tried to turn them on. The car before that I know it worked because I would listen to audio books on the stereo system.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

Art is in the eye of the beholder!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 6:25 pm

8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jul 2021, 3:04 am

I guess it depends on how art is defined & what is considered art as to if I like it or not. I have a lot of colorblindness & that face blindness disorder so i am not a very visual person. I tend to find looking at pictures boring unless they are pix of hot women :mrgreen: However pix of death can sometimes be interesting depending of if it's gory, morbid, & creepy. I'm a little bit gothic. I have a collection of crystal skulls & I have a fairly big collection of knives/blades & other types of weapons. Various blade makers consider their stuff a form of art like Kit Rae & Gil Hibben pride themselves on being fantasy art for very good reason. Some people consider music, TV shows & movies, & video-games to be art as well & I do have a big interest in music & I do like some TV shows & video-games but I consider that enjoyable entertainment more than art. Some people consider plays & ballets art but that is NOT my thing. Some consider fashion art which is also NOT my thing.
One time when I was in elementary school my class went on a field-trip to an art museum & a lot of us boys(especially me) were laughing at the log carvings of naked people with giant private parts :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:15 am

Fnord wrote:
Who is "Art"?  Why do you love him?  Why should anyone hate him?

Maybe Art Garfunkel?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:17 am

This Cliffyord Still will set you back a small sum of $61.8 M.

Worth every cent

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2021, 8:01 am

cyberdad wrote:
This Cliffyord Still will set you back a small sum of $61.8 M.

Worth every cent

Absolutely. Just not the dollars. ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 9:20 am

Here is an example of the artsy-fartsy pretentiousness that is prevalent in the art world today:

Fnord (°1900, Anywhere, United States) creates mixed media artworks and conceptual artworks. By taking daily life as subject matter while commenting on the everyday aesthetic of middle class values, Fnord formalizes the coincidental and emphasizes the conscious process of composition that is behind the seemingly random works. The thought processes, which are supposedly private, highly subjective and unfiltered in their references to dream worlds, are frequently revealed as assemblages.

His mixed-media artworks are notable for their perfect finish and tactile nature. This is of great importance and bears witness to great craftsmanship. By focusing on techniques and materials, he considers making art a craft which is executed using clear formal rules and which should always refer to social reality.

His works feature coincidental, accidental, and unexpected connections which make it possible to revise art history and, even better, to complement it. Combining unrelated aspects lead to surprising analogies. By experimenting with aleatoric processes, he often creates work using creative game tactics, but these are never permissive. Play is a serious matter: during the game, different rules apply than in everyday life and even everyday objects undergo transubstantiation.

His works are characterised by the use of everyday objects in an atmosphere of middle-class mentality in which recognition plays an important role. Fnord currently lives and works in Stendec.

-- https://500letters.org/form_15.php

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 9:38 am

Fnord wrote:
It is both: Pretentious artistes who criticize others for not appreciating their "crap on a canvas".

When any zoo can sell a painting that was produced by one of their animals smearing paint on a canvas, and that painting sells for more than what any artiste can produce, you should know that what passes for art these days is really pathetic.

I'm a digital artist but I do hate low-effort pretentious artists. One time I had to visit an art gallery to pick an exhibition to write an essay on for a project. I spent most of the time photographing (photography was allowed but flash was discouraged) the ceiling because the architecture was the only impressive part of the gallery. Eventually I settled on one exhibit that especially annoyed me. It featured a bunch of postcards that had been cut up and stuck together. Not even in a particularly interesting way, it came across as lazy and uninspired to me so I decided to devote my essay to arguing that it was not art and that the artist did not deserve praise for his work. Was it a petty essay? Yes. Do I regret it? No.

The way I see it, art is an imitation / interpretation of life that is allowed creative liberties in expression and is used to communicate and / or entertain. I enjoy making illustrations and 2d animation. Further, I also enjoy studying film and literature. I'm currently looking into pixel art. However, lazy artists rub me the wrong way. Whenever I see artists being praised for doing the bare minimum, it irks me in a way in which I can't quite describe. If art is a language, lazy art is just a couple of words scattered carelessly with little meaning or care, yet it is praised as if it said something noteworthy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 10:47 am

Most of the art I have seen at exhibitions has been the "Hot Pockets" of the art world.

Speaking of Hot Pockets, Jim Gaffigan has a take on the "artistic" process behind the Hot Pockets jingle (@ 3:45)...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 11:09 am

I like making and handling art. Because it can be done 'both ways' -- meaningfully or meaninglessly.

I cannot say the same with viewing or consuming art even if it were my own.

It's a strange relationship.
Because viewing art usually reminds me of this inconsistent state -- seeing and interpreting too vary and maybe too often in different present times.

Times I can listen to my heart, and let it taste it. Then there are times I wholly listen to my head, seeing the strokes and curves in details with fascination.

Times I 'get it' and able to interpret whether it's intuitive or intellectual.
The inspiration over the medium's potential, the concerns around the message, the subconscious telling.

Then there are times, nothing.
Nothing but some overpriced block with paint on it or just noises with ups and downs of patterns, or a lump of well shaped clay...

Despite having any previous memory of other subjective experience, knowing the true value behind the apparent lack of purpose other than just something to be viewed.

It's frustrating. More frustrating if someone's telling me 'what it should meant' and 'how to subjectively take it'. :roll:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:57 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
I love art. Just asking why?

What kind of art are you referring to?