Hyperfocus or Perseveration or Rumination

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:26 pm

What is the difference between Hyperfocus, Perseveration and Rumination?

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 11:25 pm

Hyper focus - to be fixated on something / task and concentration is usually difficult to break if the task is enjoyable to the said person.

Perseverance- kinda like sitting back and observing someone /something.
Ruminating- going over and over something .. and over and over.

Correct me if I am wrong.. google is unavailable in my country.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:13 am

Hyperfocus -
I think it's task-oriented, even if it's a mental task. It means that you are able to put all your mental energy into one thing for a sustained period of time, even if it's something dull like sewing the face on a 50 year old rag doll for eight hours reading a book or painting a wall.

Perseverance -
To persevere (v) means to keep trying over and over again even if you aren't successful
Perseveration (n) can also mean that you are fixated on saying something over and over again. Being "stuck" on it.

Ruminating -
I think this is more related to worry and anxiety - like scripting conversations ahead of time and micro-analysing them afterward to make sure you didn't sound like an idiot decide if you did anything wrong.

Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:34 am

In my book:

Hyperfocus: Becoming engrossed in an activity, usually a fun one, for hours on end, without drinking, eating or resting. Sometimes it can be used for less fun activities as well, such as the ability to give your all to a test in school and perform well. It is an ability.

Perseverance: Not giving up even though you have plenty of reasons to. Unlike hyperfocus, perseverance can stretch over years, such as persevering in employment despite facing hurdles everyday. If you make it a habit, it can be very useful.

Ruminating: Obsessively overthinking negative stuff you did or experienced, or negative stuff that might happen. Usually generates more negativity about everything, and might lead to paralysis. It can become a very un-useful habit if you let it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 3:59 am

This is why autism is both a superpower and a disability.
Superpower traits: hyperfocus, perseverence.
Disability traits: perseveration and rumination
Seems like you don't get the one without the other, it's a package deal.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:43 am

Thanks to all who posted.

I found this article interesting:
https://thesensorytoolbox.com/perseverative-autism/

Sometimes I find I am "stuck" on something and cannot let go until it is "done".
This can be good or bad - for me - that is my experience.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2021, 5:35 am

This is how I had been explaining what is "Hyperfocus".

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 3:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hyperfocus -
I think it's task-oriented, even if it's a mental task. It means that you are able to put all your mental energy into one thing for a sustained period of time, even if it's something dull like sewing the face on a 50 year old rag doll for eight hours reading a book or painting a wall.

Perseverance -
To persevere (v) means to keep trying over and over again even if you aren't successful
Perseveration (n) can also mean that you are fixated on saying something over and over again. Being "stuck" on it.

Ruminating -
I think this is more related to worry and anxiety - like scripting conversations ahead of time and micro-analysing them afterward to make sure you didn't sound like an idiot decide if you did anything wrong.

Haha.. scripting conversations ahead of time, yup.