Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:59 pm

:mrgreen:

OK, well, not just yet.

However, I am very close to doing so. Just 600 words left of my dissertation to write and then I can submit my work and get some rest. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:02 pm

Excellent! Congratulations!

How will you celebrate?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:19 pm

Post back when you have completed 300 or the 600 words! We will cheer you on!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:33 pm

Congratulations! :D

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 3:32 am

300 words left.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 3:58 am

The last 100 words! 8)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 4:28 am

It's finished. Now it's proofreading time.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 6:57 am

Well, it's been submitted. It's officially over. 8O

kraftiekortie wrote:
Excellent! Congratulations!

How will you celebrate?

I'm not fully sure, I'll have to do something at least. Especially with my birthday coming up soon as well. Catching up on sleep and playing video games before getting to work on preparing for my degree show and editing my portfolio will probably be a part of it. I have my graduation ceremony in November.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:00 am

Congratulations!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 5:58 pm

Congratulations on finishing your dissertation! It can be a major PITA to complete.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:27 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Congratulations on finishing your dissertation! It can be a major PITA to complete.

One positive of my course was that the dissertation was a lot shorter than what would be expected on average. This is because it was purely coursework-based without exams. Since when it comes to design, the thing that truly matters is producing a good end product. There's a saying that goes something along the lines of 'Good / Great design is invisible' because it's so intuitive that the average user doesn't pay it any mind.

Animation, 3D digital modelling and coding in particular can be lengthy processes and therefore provide less time for a more lengthy dissertation. This has been especially true this year, since I haven't had access to computers that run the needed programs with a lot more ease than my personal computer. I had days where it would crash with a fatal error every five minutes because my graphics card can't keep up anymore. There were times I felt like throwing my computer out a window and sobbing. When I ended up naming a file "Please for the love of everything just work", I decided it might be a good idea to go for a walk and get some air. :lol:

I know that digital design can be looked down upon by some because it isn't engineering. Still, it isn't as simple as pressing a button and having the computer figure it out for you. I've had clients that have assumed it is and rather arrogantly claimed that they could do my job quicker than me with no experience because "How difficult can it be?"

Usually the kind of person to make such claims would also give the vaguest of instructions when it came to what they wanted. I had one guy who wanted me to drop all of my other work and work on his project outside of work hours, keep in mind this was unpaid experience so I absolutely was not going to do overtime and risk my grades on other projects.

Creative block and burnout can be very real. I know I've had days where I've stared at a blank notebook or been put on the spot to come up with an idea and then pitch it only to freeze because I couldn't think of anything. It's usually best to take a break and go do something else. One time I had to come up with a concept for a mobile app and I had absolutely nothing until I gave up and made pizza. The sight of the pizza lead to an idea and suddenly I had the beginnings of a concept.

I don't want to deter anyone though. My advice would be to remember to take care of yourself and figure out what works best for you. Some people work better at night, but I lose my focus and prefer to work in the mornings and afternoon. I leave a notebook near my bed in case I have any ideas suddenly at night, but I always expand on them later.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:39 am

Well done! so shall we refer to you now as Dr Dragon?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:46 am

cyberdad wrote:

Ha, no. I'm not a Doctor. Just an Undergrad Bachelor of Arts. That is if I pass, but my grades have been good so I see no reason why I'd fail. I did four years but that's only because I took a foundation year as well as my degree.

Dr Dragon sounds like it would make a cool TV show though. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:50 am

Congratulations! What an exciting time for you! Savour the happiness and the pride that you feel!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 3:20 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Ha, no. I'm not a Doctor. Just an Undergrad Bachelor of Arts. That is if I pass, but my grades have been good so I see no reason why I'd fail. I did four years but that's only because I took a foundation year as well as my degree.

Dr Dragon sounds like it would make a cool TV show though. :lol:

Brilliant! well done :D

I remember when I got my bachelor of science in 1987, I was so elated I walked around campus bugging random people for no reason :lol:

Enjoy...

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Congratulations! What an exciting time for you! Savour the happiness and the pride that you feel!

cyberdad wrote:

I remember when I got my bachelor of science in 1987, I was so elated I walked around campus bugging random people for no reason :lol:

Enjoy...

I know I should be happy, and a part of me is, but I'm also feeling daunted / unnerved by the whole experience. You never realise how much of your life is centred around university until it ends...