Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think the perception of being called racist on this site is more than it actuality of it occurring, much more.

Last August the guidelines of this site changed. Calling somebody "racist" is is now not considered a personal attack and thus allowable. The change caused considerable disagreement, 18 pages of it. I was a main critic of the new guidelines and rigorously disagree with them. I disagreed with it so much I was seriously considering quitting WP. But I said to myself don't make a decision to quit a place that has meant so much to me for seven years rashly, let my anger and hurt calm down. Obviously, I am still here as is the guideline. I decided to put some faith in this group and by the end of the thread most had agreed we would not actually call each other racist but say "you said a racist thing"

The above rigamarole is to demonstrate since then I have been sensitive or as League_Girl put it "fragile" to occurrences of accusations of racism on this site. It has rarely happened, not only "you are a racist" but not even, "you said a racist thing".
Plenty of this way of thinking is racist, the roots of this way of thinking is racist, the source is racist. That type of thing is not personal and well within bounds for a political section.

I have been on the receiving end of being unjustifiably called a racist, big time.
I have pretty much given up posting opinions in PPR as a result.

You have to consider the intention of people.
Some are determined to misrepresent a situation and I don't think anyone can justify this.

As mention above, magz made the point that if someone was going to be called a racist, or someone who holds racist views, the accuser needs to provide a ration argument for that comment.
How can anyone argue against this?

Yes, most people are offended by being labelled a racist if they don't embrace inequality.
It is especially ironic when that accusation is thrown around on an autism website at the drop of a hat. 8)

Unless they literally say "you are a racist" or something like that you can only infer their intention.

Here is the example I mentioned above:
"If you walk like a racist, and quack like a racist, you are a racist."
That is the inference.

Being accused of having racist opinions and actually, outright, being called a racist, was a major hobby, in the PPR forum, at one time to the point of tedium. Perhaps people tend to say "you sound like a racist" more than actually calling someone a racist these days, but the suggestion is still there.

And how about this doozy:
Making a global/general accusation that all Republicans are racist/fascists. When I joined 8 years ago, one of the first rulz I learnt on WP was not to generalise. There is more generalisation now than there was back then.

The bottom line is, if you don't have a rational/reasonable/logical argument when you call someone a racist, even by implication, it is considered a personal attack, based on the discussion we had with magz.
I thought this was settled in that thread? :scratch:

Are you saying that anyone should fling the racist card willy nilly without a valid reason to do so?
If so, I have to question your reasoning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:04 am

Joe,

You're welcome to message me your question privately if you feel comfortable. I'll answer your question from my point of view if I can, and give you a straight opinion of whether it might be considered racist on the forum.

I'm no expert of course, but feel free if you'd like.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:07 am

naturalplastic wrote:
PM me if you want. I will try to answer it. And give me reactions to the question.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe,

You're welcome to message me your question privately if you feel comfortable. I'll answer your question from my point of view if I can, and give you a straight opinion of whether it might be considered racist on the forum.

I'm no expert of course, but feel free if you'd like.

Same, I won't shame you if I think it sounds racist but I'll explain why I feel it sounds that way.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:37 am

Pepe wrote:
The bottom line is, if you don't have a rational/reasonable/logical argument when you call someone a racist, even by implication, it is considered a personal attack, based on the discussion we had with magz.
I thought this was settled in that thread? :scratch:

Are you saying that anyone should fling the racist card willy nilly without a valid reason to do so?
If so, I have to question your reasoning.

“calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description”. I do not see anything saying there must be a valid reason or any reason at all. That is why I unsuccessfully begged Alex to reconsider. I still consider that guideline a potential time bomb and thus I am pretty aware or in other words I’m looking for trouble. I was called that directly two different times by the same user, one of the time the user called me a bunch of other ‘phobes’ and ‘ists’ for good measure. The temptation was to say “I knew it, here we go”. But since unfortunately that is not considered a personal attack reporting this is precluded from us so the best I could do was ignore it, remembering how good the vast majority of members are. So far my fears have not come true.

Off Topic
IMHO your problems in PPR come from your use of overuse of sarcasm. Autistic people generally take things literally thus often do not pick up sarcasm. Autistic people are less likely to infer stuff.

PPR deals with topics people feel emotional about and thus less appreciative of sarcasm.
Sarcasm can be used to ease tension. I use it on on occasion without thinking. But like most other things in life too much of a good thing is bad.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description”.

That quote is clearly logically incorrect.
How many people see being called a pejorative as a compliment?

In my book, it is an attempt at character assassination, and most reasonable people would see it that way.
It is always insulting to me and is overwhelmingly premeditatedly used as an insult in addition to moral positioning.
I have no time for sanctimony.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I do not see anything saying there must be a valid reason or any reason at all.

Magz discussed the finer details and I believe we all came to a working solution.
I.E. You need a rational reason to label someone a racist.
Arguing against this is irrational.

If we are following nonsense, then perhaps I should join the bandwagon.
Whatever is good for the goose is good for the gander, eh?
As a result, the entire communication system devolves into a farce.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
That is why I unsuccessfully begged Alex to reconsider. I still consider that guideline a potential time bomb and thus I am pretty aware or in other words I’m looking for trouble. I was called that directly two different times by the same user, one of the time the user called me a bunch of other ‘phobes’ and ‘ists’ for good measure. The temptation was to say “I knew it, here we go”. But since unfortunately that is not considered a personal attack reporting this is precluded from us so the best I could do was ignore it, remembering how good the vast majority of members are. So far my fears have not come true.

My preferred solution is to avoid proffering an opinion, wherever possible, in the PPR forum. The News forum is also pretty bad in terms of bad behaviour, but I'd be running out of places to posts if I boycott all potential forum problem.
I hardly post these days and tend to ignore people looking to start an argument, so I do embrace what you have said, to a very great degree.

Off Topic
ASPartOfMe wrote:
IMHO your problems in PPR come from your use of overuse of sarcasm. Autistic people generally take things literally thus often do not pick up sarcasm. Autistic people are less likely to infer stuff.

I predominantly use irony and satire.
I rarely use sarcasm.
And, yes, some people are incapable of understanding when I am being ironic even when I add an emoji making it clear or even spelling it out [irony], at times.
I have even gone into great detail, hidden by a spoiler, explaining the irony/satire and some people still had a problem, presumably because they actively want to make it a problem.

What does that say about a person who ignores an explicit qualifier?
Is it my problem or the other person's problem?

ASPartOfMe wrote:
PPR deals with topics people feel emotional about and thus less appreciative of sarcasm.

Once again, I will point out that I consciously avoid sarcasm, in almost all situation, in preference to irony and satire.
When I am sarcastic, I will expressly point it out and in some cases I will add the term "vitriolic
sarcasm". From memory I have only used that twice in the 8 years I have been on WP.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sarcasm can be used to ease tension. I use it on on occasion without thinking. But like most other things in life too much of a good thing is bad.

What I don't understand is the profound lack of self-control some people have.
If I dislike a particular person or a post that is expressing emotion-filled rage, I simply ignore it and move on or respond in a rational manner.
Perhaps this is an Australian way of doing things. [shrug]

I was erroneously under the impression that those on the spectrum tended to be more rational than emotionalistic.
Perhaps PPR is housed in an alternate bizarro dimension. :mrgreen: (note the emoji indicating playfulness) ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
“calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description”.

That quote is clearly logically incorrect.
How many people see being called a pejorative as a compliment?

In my book, it is an attempt at character assassination, and most reasonable people would see it that way.
It is always insulting to me and is overwhelmingly premeditatedly used as an insult in addition to moral positioning.
I have no time for sanctimony.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I do not see anything saying there must be a valid reason or any reason at all.

Magz discussed the finer details and I believe we all came to a working solution.
I.E. You need a rational reason to label someone a racist.
Arguing against this is irrational.

If we are following nonsense, then perhaps I should join the bandwagon.
Whatever is good for the goose is good for the gander, eh?
As a result, the entire communication system devolves into a farce.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
That is why I unsuccessfully begged Alex to reconsider. I still consider that guideline a potential time bomb and thus I am pretty aware or in other words I’m looking for trouble. I was called that directly two different times by the same user, one of the time the user called me a bunch of other ‘phobes’ and ‘ists’ for good measure. The temptation was to say “I knew it, here we go”. But since unfortunately that is not considered a personal attack reporting this is precluded from us so the best I could do was ignore it, remembering how good the vast majority of members are. So far my fears have not come true.

My preferred solution is to avoid proffering an opinion, wherever possible, in the PPR forum. The News forum is also pretty bad in terms of bad behaviour, but I'd be running out of places to posts if I boycott all potential forum problem.
I hardly post these days and tend to ignore people looking to start an argument, so I do embrace what you have said, to a very great degree.

Off Topic
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I predominantly use irony and satire.
I rarely use sarcasm.
And, yes, some people are incapable of understanding when I am being ironic even when I add an emoji making it clear or even spelling it out [irony], at times.
I have even gone into great detail, hidden by a spoiler, explaining the irony/satire and some people still had a problem, presumably because they actively want to make it a problem.

What does that say about a person who ignores an explicit qualifier?
Is it my problem or the other person's problem?

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Once again, I will point out that I consciously avoid sarcasm, in almost all situation, in preference to irony and satire.
When I am sarcastic, I will expressly point it out and in some cases I will add the term "vitriolic
sarcasm". From memory I have only used that twice in the 8 years I have been on WP.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

What I don't understand is the profound lack of self-control some people have.
If I dislike a particular person or a post that is expressing emotion-filled rage, I simply ignore it and move on or respond in a rational manner.
Perhaps this is an Australian way of doing things. [shrug]

I was erroneously under the impression that those on the spectrum tended to be more rational than emotionalistic.
Perhaps PPR is housed in an alternate bizarro dimension. :mrgreen: (note the emoji indicating playfulness) ;)

Off Topic
Irony, satire, sarcasm are all nonliteral language autistic people are not supposed be good at. So maybe satire and irony qualifiers are needed?

Lately, I noticed that the idea that autistics are non-emotional is less accepted and is being replaced by autistics are more emotional but in a different way. What is true? That is a topic for General Autism Discussion.

Not just PPR but a lot of politics seems like it is an "alternate bizarro dimension" to me, and most of it is anything but playful as far as I'm concerned. Most certainly the mainstreaming of "calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description” is included in that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 6:54 pm

Off Topic
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Irony, satire, sarcasm are all nonliteral language autistic people are not supposed be good at. So maybe satire and irony qualifiers are needed?

I did say I include irony qualifiers. Re-read my previous post.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lately, I noticed that the idea that autistics are non-emotional is less accepted and is being replaced by autistics are more emotional but in a different way. What is true? That is a topic for General Autism Discussion.

Why are you saying this? I made no suggestion that autistics lacked emotions. You can be both aware of your emotional side and still be rational. It simply takes a modicum of self-control.

Were you directing your comment at me, or simply adding to the conversation?

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not just PPR but a lot of politics seems like it is an "alternate bizarro dimension" to me, and most of it is anything but playful as far as I'm concerned. Most certainly the mainstreaming of "calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description” is included in that.

The statement can't be defended, using a logical platform. Simples.

Last edited by Pepe on 21 May 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:51 pm

Off Topic
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:

A bit of both. I was replying to your comment that you were under the impression that autistics were supposed to be more rational than emotionalistic and adding to the conversation by suggesting a possible explanation as to why PPR is not that way.

Pepe wrote:
There is no disagreement, we both abhor the statement. When Alex comes back you can take it up with him but IMO as far as WP is concerned this is a done deal, a lost cause.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 9:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Off Topic
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:

A bit of both. I was replying to your comment that you were under the impression that autistics were supposed to be more rational than emotionalistic and adding to the conversation by suggesting a possible explanation as to why PPR is not that way.

Pepe wrote:
There is no disagreement, we both abhor the statement. When Alex comes back you can take it up with him but IMO as far as WP is concerned this is a done deal, a lost cause.

Please note:
Someone who is an "Emotionalist" is not the same as someone who is "Emotional".

Quote:
e·mo·tion·al·ist (ĭ-mō′shə-nə-lĭst)
n.
1. One whose conduct, thought, or rhetoric is governed by emotion rather than reason, often as a matter of policy.
2. An excessively emotional person.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 1:54 am

Off Topic
League_Girl wrote:
People who are afraid they will be called racist is a example of white fragility.

That is certainly an interesting assertion, which I have been curious about for some time, having seen it made elsewhere.

Setting aside the apparent racist foundation upon which it is based - that people should be considered based on their ancestry\"race" (through intentional use of a racial identifier - "white") - which implies a belief by the author that individual races have differing characteristics\attributes\expectations and that those of certain races can\should be treated differently to those of others as a result, as opposed to considering every person as an individual with all being accorded the same treatement and having no predetermined expectations based upon an arbitrary attribute over which that person has no choice\control (particularly given this is an online forum, where a person's race is unknown for the most part), we are left to ponder:

• Is it intended by the author to imply that only "white" people can be "racist"?
  • Is it instead intended by the author to imply only "white" people can be called "racist", given the statement specifically refers to "white" fragility as the reason to be afraid of the claim being made about them?
  • Alternatively, does it demonstrate a belief on the author's behalf that those not meeting the requirements to be "white" would not be offended by being called "racist", given the plain language that fear of having the term used against them is an example of "white fragility"?
  • (related to the previous option) Does it indicate a belief on the author's part that they believe race is a "social construct" (and so does not represent objective reality), and so those who have no "white" ancestry must be choosing to identify as "white" in order to be afraid of being called "racist"? (A corollary of which would be that, through being a "social construct", a person could "identify" as any given race, and so there would be no objective way to determine whether their words\actions were "racist", indicating the term was being used to force a reaction from the target (a personal attack), rather than to provide an objective description of what had been said\done).
  • Or does it instead imply a belief on the author's part that they believe anyone who was not "white" would be content, if not proud, to be called "racist"?

Consider a group of people, each of differing racial heritage (for example, one of European, one of Asian, one of African, one of Indian, one of Middle-Eastern descent), and look at how the initial assertion (that fear of being called racist is "white privilege") applies to each of them, should someone refer to them as "racist"...

Of course, there may be some other explanation behind that initial statement which I haven't considered, and which may alter my understanding of the possible intent behind it and I'd certainly be interested to hear it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 2:33 am

I think it's just fear of backlash and the way the word "racist" is easily thrown around a lot these days even when you're not being racist at all.

I know that there are people here who are a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable than me, and it is best not to hang around in the PPR section when you're a numbskull like me. I never win at arguments so it's best I not start them.

I have PM'd some people here, sorry if I didn't PM you (any person reading this who I didn't PM) but I still might.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 2:36 am

Joe90 wrote:
I think it's just fear of backlash and the way the word "racist" is easily thrown around a lot these days even when you're not being racist at all.

I know that there are people here who are a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable than me, and it is best not to hang around in the PPR section when you're a numbskull like me. I never win at arguments so it's best I not start them.

I have PM'd some people here, sorry if I didn't PM you (any person reading this who I didn't PM) but I still might.

You're not a numbskull even if politics and the social issues that influence it might not be special interests to you. I'm a f*****g idiot on issues that appeal to some other WPers, but I hope that doesn't mean I'm a numbskull.

i hope you decide to PM me because I'm still pretty curious what your question is.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 6:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You're not a numbskull even if politics and the social issues that influence it might not be special interests to you. I'm a f*****g idiot on issues that appeal to some other WPers, but I hope that doesn't mean I'm a numbskull.

i hope you decide to PM me because I'm still pretty curious what your question is.

It doesn't mean you're a numbskull. Just because I call myself a numbskull it doesn't mean everybody's a numbskull if they don't understand something. I was just running myself down because I get frustrated sometimes when I can't think of the right words while other posters use such intelligent words.
I will PM you.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 3:39 pm

Ah, the racist thing.

You may find this difficult to believe, but PPR is much friendlier now than it was, I believe, 10 years ago. The most prolific posters such as the Strident Atheists, and 3 or 4 of the most heinous, foaming-at-the-mouth, misandrist feminists I’ve ever seen were on here. If you were even remotely Christian or conservative, PPR was easily the virtual embodiment of the abyss from which smoke riseth forever and ever...

One of my fondest memories was conversing with one feminist in particular and getting mod-spanked over a joke. P******** had cracked worse jokes than I, so I asked why I was being reprimanded and he wasn’t. The feminist gave some lame excuse while a mod said if something was going on I should report it. And so I did, and I think P******** got banned because of it. The feminist left soon after.

What I learned during this time was that to do well in PPR means you stand your ground no matter what. Nobody ever wins converts in there, so arguing really amounts to a sport. Recently we discussed the topic of mandated parental leave in the United States, for which my position was basically everything the government touches turns brown and starts to stink. Another user began touting how perfect Canada’s healthcare system is. My response was that despite having universal healthcare, getting access to it is contingent on race—good for white people, bad for blacks and indigenous. There happens to be research to back this up, and the matter is complicated by what kinds of data Canada chooses to keep. I doubt I changed his mind, so that I happened to win that argument amounts to little more than bragging rights. At the very least I forced him to think a little bit.

I won another argument because my opponent didn’t understand things like logical possibility and the role of evidence in arguments. But he didn’t give up without attacking me on the way out.

In PPR, that’s about what you can expect. People who hold to more of a secularist worldview tend to enjoy challenging people like myself but cannot handle being challenged themselves. The key to winning is first actually being right about something, being CONFIDENT in your correctness, and refusing to accept any other premise. The most frequent mistake I’ve made in the past and that I’ve seen from others is starting from the position that you’re wrong and then proving yourself right. If you KNOW you are right, then you are committed to standing by what say. It doesn’t NECESSARILY mean you’ll never lose...it just means the other side can’t win. They aren’t used to that, so take mockery and insults as compliments.

I didn’t know the racism thing was even ever a thing. I feel strongly against perpetual victim classes, so I don’t typically take the side of calling a person or a government racist, especially when I happen to know my opponent happens to identify with a victim class. It’s just I happened to catch someone acting inconsistently with his own values, so I hit him with a different collectivist V-card. Basically, I was accusing Canada’s government of racism and hitting this guy in his own privilege.

Long story short, unless you think you have something to feel guilty about, don’t worry about what someone else says or thinks. Just say what’s on your mind. If it’s inappropriate, mods will warn you and that’s the end of it. If you want backup, PM me and I’ll see if it’s something I can help you with.

Last edited by Cornflake on 25 May 2021, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Redacted identifiable banned member name

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

It doesn't mean you're a numbskull. Just because I call myself a numbskull it doesn't mean everybody's a numbskull if they don't understand something. I was just running myself down because I get frustrated sometimes when I can't think of the right words while other posters use such intelligent words.
I will PM you.

PM mee too! PLZ.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 12:18 am

AngelRho wrote:
If it’s inappropriate, mods will warn you and that’s the end of it.

Case in point, I’m not allowed to discuss Ailuropoda melanoleuca. Dang, Cornflake, that happened YEARS ago!

But seriously, they do a good job around here. If you come in here with an OBVIOUS intent to harm others, you won’t be here for long. If you are worried about it, chances are you aren’t violating any rules. I’m not sure why naming banned members is even a thing, but rules are rules. If anything bothers me about this website, it’s that they can be somewhat fickle how they enforce rules. At one point, I was told you couldn’t say that the Bible says it’s ok to stone homosexuals. That has changed in that now you CAN discuss it. You just have to be a little careful how you frame it. For instance you can say according to Book —:—, homosexuals can be put to death, and Paul says it’s an abomination. You can NOT say “I think it’s ok to kill gays because the Bible says so.” The good news is honest mistakes do happen and mods give you appropriate latitude for that.