Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2021, 6:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
amykitten wrote:
It might be more a gender thing also. As a girl gamer I have to say I haven't experienced this often. That or I play with like minded people.
It may be a safe bet that you do not play any multi-player first-person-shooter games.

Nope. FPS give me motion sickness so I avoid the genre. I guess RPGers are more mature most of the time even in PVP scenarios.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:19 pm

amykitten wrote:
Fnord wrote:
amykitten wrote:
It might be more a gender thing also. As a girl gamer I have to say I haven't experienced this often. That or I play with like minded people.
It may be a safe bet that you do not play any multi-player first-person-shooter games.

Nope. FPS give me motion sickness so I avoid the genre. I guess RPGers are more mature most of the time even in PVP scenarios.

I don't play many FPS these days, not multiplayer at least. However, the worst community I have ever seen was World of tanks, it was super toxic. Last person left on a team and there would be backseat players long dead telling me how bad I suck even though at times I carried the team at the end to pull off a win. These days the first thing I do is look for a way to disable Voip if it is a multiplayer game.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:30 am

amykitten wrote:
Fnord wrote:
amykitten wrote:

Yes, of course. FPS are marketed to teenage boys, and teenage boys are, well.... As the British say: neither use nor ornament.
I occasionally hang out in VRChat.
You can decide what level of trolling you want to expose yourself to by deciding which map you're joining - if the msp is chill and boring, the people there will be nice and friendly and a but weird. Good company, basically.

If the map is styled like a stripclub, teenage boys will grope your Avatar.

If the map is wild and weird, you'll be by yourself.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 9:27 am

I never noticed this, the only gamer I ever knew was probably my favorite boss ever.

But recently I noticed 2 of Dr Phils biggest cheerleaders are gamers, Pewdiepie and Cinnamon Toast Ken.

Its really painful to watch, esp CTK

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:32 pm

I remember how toxic gamers were when I used to play online years ago. When one decides to purposefully throw the game and costs his team a win, it somehow was everyone else's fault but his. Sometimes it was for his own entertainment. Griefers aren't worth it and they can ruin a community for many gamers. I prefer the single player offline games much more.

My fondest memory growing up was the N64 and 3 other friends and I sitting on the couch to play Mario Kart or Perfect Dark among other games.

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2021, 2:38 pm

The only gaming communities I've found that aren't very toxic (at least in my experience) are Lord of the Rings Online and Kingdom Hearts.

LOTRO's community has always been a pretty chill one in my experience, probably because the player base tends to skew older and wiser. The in-game music system also makes for great concert opportunities. My kinship (guild) is hosting one such event this whole weekend. Point is, LOTRO is my fave MMORPG for those reasons.

As for Kingdom Hearts players, the lack of toxicity (again, in my experience) is probably because the games have such a convoluted storyline that everyone is too busy trying to figure out what the heck just happened in the latest game to have time to make people feel bad.

Again, these are just my experiences in gaming. If anyone has been toxic towards me, I've probably just not noticed because I enjoy the game too much.

HacKING
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2021, 8:40 pm

I think a better question is why is any kind of internet media that doesn't moderate much toxic. People take advantage of the anonymity to let of steam in a manner they can't out in the open. Gaming is a younger demographic and also composed of a lot of people that have gotten acclimated to this kind of internet environment because it's all they do. Young people typically are more selfish and immature and rude so they're gonna say toxic things in an environment without accountability. Others might just be antisocial or have bad personality traits. It's more of an internet thing than a gaming thing