Anybody view DVD movies with director's audio commentaries?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:53 pm

Director's commentaries in films:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_commentary#Films

Listening to the director's commentary in the 1992 film 'The Player' can offer that interesting experience:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Player_(1992_film)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:04 pm

I have done this with DVDs we have watched over and over again.
Playing with alternate audio and sub titles can be fun. Sometimes we will switch to French with English subtitles or English with French subtitles (my wife knows some french - my daughter was learning).
Star Wars in French is funny.
We have also watched it Spanish. It can be a good way to work on learning a second language.

I watched Wall-E with director's audio commentaries and really enjoyed it a lot.

I watched Big Hero 6 with "English for the Visually Impaired" - the British woman who described things was very funny - and she got a lot of the technology stuff wrong. She described things someone might have missed if blind.

Some DVDs also have alternate angles or footage for certain shots. It can be fun.

My kids and my wife usually want to "just watch it" but we will play around when we have seen it many times before.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:32 pm

I don't watch many movies, but I like to view the commentary on my DVD box sets (TV series).

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 5:14 pm

Yes, I used to do this a lot. Not so much anymore because I don't buy DVDs anymore. But when I was a film student I loved a good director commentary almost as much as the film. Particular favourites included Paul Thomas Andersons commentaries on Boogie Nights and Magnolia, Terry Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Wes Anderson's Rushmore (those Criterion Collection discs were awesome), Brad Pitt and Edward Norton's commentary on Fight Club was good too.

HelHelly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2021, 9:24 am

I haven't tried watching director's commentaries. Thanks for the link and the idea!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 10:05 pm

I used to watch them a lot, but don't really have much time to watch movies anymore.
And especially these days, I don't have a lot of opportunity to watch films at full volume, and most DVDs don't have CC for the commentaries.
I think the last one I watched was for an episode of The Addams Family.