Veteran

23 May 2021, 7:16 am

People who support individual freedoms Vs people who want control over others

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 7:24 am

ironpony wrote:
But aren't people just restricting themselves from the services then if they have to live in a rural area where it's not available then? If you want to have sex and have the abortion option, just move then? For example, I use certain services, but I know I couldn't have them if I chose to live in a rural area, away from it all.

Plus is not having abortion the issue, or the issue is not having it immediately available in all these rural spots?

Well how easy would it be for you to just pick up and move? Do you think it would really be fair to just tell people in rural areas 'well just don't have sex unless you move to a city' What if you were born in a rural area and never got the means to move out to somewhere else shouldn't you still have access to the same medical care and such as people in cities? I mean what if you didn't have a choice of where you lived? like you were still stuck living with parents and they happen to live rurally? But mostly how easy would it be for you to just pack up and move? what if you spent a bunch of your income on getting a house and can't afford to just pack up and move right away. safe access to abortion should be provided to all women regardless of if they live in a rural place or an urban place.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 9:23 am

But this is how it always is when you live in rural areas, that the further away from civilization you move, the less access you have to things, and that's just always been the nature of it. If they were to build all these abortion clinics all over the place, wouldn't that raise taxes a lot and would most people want that?

Also, I am not saying move and get a new job to get an abortion, I am just saying take a trip to get one, not move permenantly.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 9:25 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But is it possible to take more than one pregnancy test to try to get a positive reading like best 3 out of 5 or best 7 out of 10 or something like that?

If you really want to, I guess? But you still can't get prenatal care, an abortion consultation, or a termination, without the results of a blood test. The blood test measures how far along you are based on your hormone levels. You can't just request a termination with a home urine test, because you might be farther along than you realise. Maybe you are past the legal cutoff point for the procedure. Maybe you aren't pregnant at all.

I had a home test come up positive when I was still a virgin, but had some ... intimate contact ... with my boyfriend. I was a few weeks late, and started to panic. I didn't want to talk to my parents. My doctor was on holiday. So I bought a test, assuming it would be fine. I got a giant PLUS sign meaning positive. It didn't make sense but of course I believed it. I went weeks agonising and waiting and trying to get support information without my parents overhearing. I was totally terrified and very confused how it happened. By the time I got to the Planned Parenthood clinic I was almost hysterical. But they did a blood test, and sent me home. Three days later they told me I wasn't pregnant at all and it was likely a faulty home test.

When I actually was pregnant with my daughter I was planning the pregnancy and tracking everything on a calendar. I kept taking the home tests which kept saying negative. Then I started bleeding. I tried again the next month and did a blood test which said I was pregnant from the month prior. Already over 2 months. I bled through most of my pregnancy and she was born premature. If I hadn't had the blood test, and just used the home tests, there's a chance I would have received negative test results because of my bleeding.

Home tests have good dramatic value but they aren't considered valid until double checked by blood work.
That's true, I thought that by taking a few home tests, you can than be sure of pregnancy in your mind, and therefore can talk it over with loved ones, one what to do while you wait for the doctors to come around, instead of waiting to talk about, because you only took one test are not sure enough to bring it then.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2021, 4:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:
That's true, but access is hardly being eroded successfully, so it just doesn't seem like people should sweat it, when they already have it good.

You might want to read about how restrictive some US states are. It's not like Canada, if it was still a hot button issue for the left in Canada I'd agree with you because I believe it's pretty secure here.

There's also countries with even tighter restrictions than the US, including a few places in South America where they've forced mentally handicapped children who had been raped by their guardians to carry to term because the court rulings came up after it was either too unsafe to terminate or illegal under any circumstances.

It's an issue that varies throughout parts of the world. Not everywhere is Canada.

Also worth noting is that the areas with least access to abortion services, are also the areas with limited access to affordable gynecological serves (consequently: limited access to the Pill, IUD, Depo, etc), virtually no access to emergency contraception, and a lack of comprehensive sex education in schools.

This huge disparity in access to healthcare and reproductive services, has the biggest impact on women who can least afford to be pregnant or parent a child.

Now, I have my own conspiracy theory that is disparity is by design, to create and maintain a permanent underclass... but that’s a bedtime story for another night.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 5:28 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

It's more to do with the philosophical platform someone embraces, yes.
Atheists would tend to let the woman decide, in most situations.
Theists have a tendency to want to impose 'god's will' on others. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 8:27 pm

I also fail to see the reason as well. There are female babies who are aborted in some cultures just because they're girls. I find that more sexist than anything. People in those cultures see nothing wrong with aborting God's Little Women.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 9:28 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also fail to see the reason as well. There are female babies who are aborted in some cultures just because they're girls. I find that more sexist than anything. People in those cultures see nothing wrong with aborting God's Little Women.

It would also be fair to call that sexist, since even if they are being voluntarily pursued (as opposed to pursued under coercion) that it would still be motivated by seeing a daughter as less valuable than a son.

It would also be fair to describe coerced abortions as sexist (whether like what has been seen in some Leninist states or the above example only with more pressure from the father).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 2:21 am

ironpony wrote:
But this is how it always is when you live in rural areas, that the further away from civilization you move, the less access you have to things, and that's just always been the nature of it. If they were to build all these abortion clinics all over the place, wouldn't that raise taxes a lot and would most people want that?

Also, I am not saying move and get a new job to get an abortion, I am just saying take a trip to get one, not move permenantly.

What about the people who've been born in rural areas instead of having decided to move there??? I was one of those people, and I had to move away due to my disability. Were it not for it, I would seriously consider moving back since it's cheaper there and there's less people...

That would work in some cases, but from what I've understood, one of the problems in USA is that lots of clinics that do abortions have been shut down and the trips to the closest one can be really long... such trips can be expensive too, and will take time. It'd be a lot easier if there were clinics at reasonable distances. And of course, if people were given information about those clinics properly.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 3:01 am

But I thought the problem was, is that there is not enough supply and demand for abortions for there to be all these clinics in all these rural areas.

The clinics would have to be performing abortions everyday, to have enough supply and demand to have clinics out there. It's not like McDonalds where you have a much higher supply and demand business, is it?

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2021, 6:57 am

ironpony wrote:
But I thought the problem was, is that there is not enough supply and demand for abortions for there to be all these clinics in all these rural areas.

The clinics would have to be performing abortions everyday, to have enough supply and demand to have clinics out there. It's not like McDonalds where you have a much higher supply and demand business, is it?

It’s not because of supply and demand. It’s because some states continue to enact legislation and restrictions that essentially force clinics to close their doors.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... utType=amp

And even in state and local governments that are not restrictive toward abortion, the blocking of Title X by the Trump administration has severely cut funding to clinics that provide comprehensive gynecological care, aside from abortion services.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 2:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

And very conveniently gods will also just happens to be their will too. What a surprise.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 6:47 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

And very conveniently gods will also just happens to be their will too. What a surprise.

Belief in a god has caused so much avoidable pain in the world.
The irony is staggering.