Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DuckieMay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2021, 8:42 pm

I honestly had no idea.

My lifelong research of psychology, my 7 failed attempts at college, emotional breakdowns, my clapping and flappy hands and rocking, my one (1) single movie that I watch (Interstellar) over and over and over.

Looking at everyone’s feet when I talk, going non-verbal, my obsession with scents, eating the same stupid gas station taquitos like it’s a street drug, my emotions about words and ability to sound out or spell a word that I’ve never heard before, my random facts spout out randomly and my monologues.

I am an author and artist. And I have been openly autistic for a while... but didn’t actually know that I am autistic and just assumed I was a weirdo. Basically everyone assumed the same.

But I (of course) have studied autism for a couple months now. And I hit almost every box, except being good at math (I think I have dye calculus), having an intellectual delay, having digestive issues.

When I told my family, parents and my spouse, they were basically like “Oh, that explains so much! And that’s awesome!”

When I talked to a psychiatrist, they confirmed my suspicions. I am also bipolar.

I am so happy to be here and so happy to feel like I finally walked into the right classroom for once in my life.

I am 35, parent of an autistic 9 year old, and an artist & children’s book author. Hi! :)

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 1:30 am

Welcome

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:38 am

what a relief to finally have that burst of self understanding! I found out about my own autism around age 65 and got formal diagnosis at 68. What a difference in perspective and how wonderful to know finally that I am not alone, there are others who understand me because they have had experiences like mine in many ways. The first time somebody said "you are not alone" was amazing! welcome home!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:44 am

DuckieMay wrote:
I am so happy to be here and so happy to feel like I finally walked into the right classroom for once in my life.

We're happy to have you. And isn't it a great feeling to know there's a reason that you're a weirdo? :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:05 pm

Welcome to WP! As you can already see, there are some nice people here.

I was 64 when Reality gave me the hint (it involved the word "weird") to read about Autism and I got my diagnosis shortly before my 65th birthday: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), with an additional comment that I also satisfied the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

It explained so much!

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:42 pm

My study of psychology went much better. All it took was a psychology 101 college course and some reading in the library to self-diagnose as Asperger's. This was in 1978 when I was 20 yo and Asperger's was a largely unknown condition and still 16 years before it made it to the DSM.

Welcome to Wrong Planet :D

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2021, 10:03 pm

Welcome to wrong planet! Happy to see another come on board!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 10:09 pm

DuckieMay wrote:

And you weren't late for class, and you didn't drop your books. No one even stared at you!

Pull up a chair!

Welcome!

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 4:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, as I'm the resident porter; so, I'll go ahead and take your bags to the VIP suite so your able to rest and so forth. Anyways, may you find serenity and compassion here during your tenure with everyone here on the site.

Sincerely,
longshot