Why are statues of abolitionists being torn down as well?

Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:57 am

It surprises me that even statues of people who called for and brought about an end to the evil of slavery and also called for the civil rights of black people and others peoples such as Abraham Lincoln have been called to be torn down and cancelled.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:01 pm

What they did is irrelevant. What matters is the colour of their skin.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:12 pm

They're being torn down because the colour of their skin is white. If the colour of their skin was black the statues in question would have been left well alone.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:16 pm

Can you provide a specific example we can investigate?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Can you provide a specific example we can investigate?

Agree. Though it would take a lot to change my opinion on why they're subject to such dislike.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 2:53 pm

I'd like to believe that its just ignorance, but I really think its about burning down the old world.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:22 pm

In Rochester, New York a statue of abolitionist Frederick Douglass was torn down and yet he and Harriet Tubman helped to shuttle slaves to freedom.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:30 pm

chris1989 wrote:
In Rochester, New York a statue of abolitionist Frederick Douglass was torn down and yet he and Harriet Tubman helped to shuttle slaves to freedom.

Did the people responsible ever comment on why?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 6:06 pm

chris1989 wrote:

It is because they assume things without looking up their history. We have had the same in the UK where they have torn down statues of people who had nothing to do with slavery. They just assume they did.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 21 May 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 6:08 pm

The perpetrators were unknown and from what I've seen now from different news articles the Frederick Douglass statue was down possibly in retaliation for confederate statues being torn down.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:12 pm

Because it has become an addiction.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:03 pm

chris1989 wrote:
The perpetrators were unknown and from what I've seen now from different news articles the Frederick Douglass statue was down possibly in retaliation for confederate statues being torn down.

Most likely explanation.

Dueling vandalism.

Why cant hooligans be apolitical- like they were in my day!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:31 pm

I can answer what people have against Abraham Lincoln - a school named after him has recently decided to change its name.

Apparently his progressive stance towards slavery didn't extend to the treatment of indigenous Americans.
The accusers today think Lincoln is not worthy of honor because he only took one step forward, while for the exact same reasons he should have taken another one, but didn't.

Personally I think taking a step forward, against the morals of the society you live in, is hard enough, and we should not measure individual steps forward by how far society has come since then, but others disagree.

It's a misunderstanding of personal values and political possibilities, too.
I may be a vegan for moral reasons, but trying to push veganism onto a society that does not agree? I don't expect I'd get very far.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:51 pm

chris1989 wrote:

So blaming it on civil rights activists might be misplacing the blame?
Well, we've got to act outraged and blame the left anyways.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:52 pm

Mikah wrote:

So who targeted a Frederick Douglass statue because of the colour of his skin? :chin:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 1:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mikah wrote:

So who targeted a Frederick Douglass statue because of the colour of his skin? :chin:

To clarify: I'm suggesting it's all a front, as most things like this are these days, for plain and simple "ethnic tension" as the BBC might diplomatically call it. An abolitionist statue being torn down by a pissed off white person would still count.