Why are statues of abolitionists being torn down as well?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
I often never think statues glorify anything so to speak. A lot of the statues in my area are of anonymous people who were killed in the mines who that represent the face of all those who died. A statue is a statue and is impartial. They can represent good or bad. Without evoking Godwin's law, someone could put up a statue of Hitler in the middle of my city and all it will do it make people read more about Hitler. Hitler despite being one of the most evil men in history is worthy of a statue because of his historical significance.

No, a statue memorializing Hitler would celebrate Hitler.

It's nice that you don't have to worry about questionable monuments, but not understanding why other people care about monuments to thieves and murderers isn't an argument against those people caring about having memorials to thieves and murderers in their communities.

On that logic the statues of miners near colliery disaster sites in my area are somehow celebratory too?

Celebrating the good men who died in the mines, no?

How do you know that? They seem more historical too me and don't get into much detail about the men who died but rather what happened. Memorial, celebratory or historical, I see statue is a statue and not just celebratory in nature.

Being from the welsh mining valleys, statues actually have the opposite meaning to me as they appear to have to for you.

What purpose does a memorial serve beyond celebrating the person it was raised to honour?

Historical and people of very significant historical events. That's why statues of the evil as much as the saintly should never be ripped down......unless the latter becoming some sort of weird shrine which I never see happen anyway.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:25 pm

Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
I often never think statues glorify anything so to speak. A lot of the statues in my area are of anonymous people who were killed in the mines who that represent the face of all those who died. A statue is a statue and is impartial. They can represent good or bad. Without evoking Godwin's law, someone could put up a statue of Hitler in the middle of my city and all it will do it make people read more about Hitler. Hitler despite being one of the most evil men in history is worthy of a statue because of his historical significance.

It's nice that you don't have to worry about questionable monuments, but not understanding why other people care about monuments to thieves and murderers isn't an argument against those people caring about having memorials to thieves and murderers in their communities.

On that logic the statues of miners near colliery disaster sites in my area are somehow celebratory too?

How do you know that? They seem more historical too me and don't get into much detail about the men who died but rather what happened. Memorial, celebratory or historical, I see statue is a statue and not just celebratory in nature.

Being from the welsh mining valleys, statues actually have the opposite meaning to me as they appear to have to for you.

What purpose does a memorial serve beyond celebrating the person it was raised to honour?

Historical and people of very significant historical events. That's why statues of the evil as much as the saintly should never be ripped down......unless the latter becoming some sort of weird shrine which I never see happen anyway.

What about personal statues? Those are not events.

Statues are not history (I suggest a book). Nor do they, there again by your admission, explain any history or historical context.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:28 pm

Nades wrote:

So the Iraqi people shouldn't have tore down the statues to Saddam? Why should they be obliged to keep the eyesores standing?

Removing the Jim Crow era statues is a way of reclaiming those spaces. They were raised to celebrate heroes of white supremacy, removing them shows that ideology is defeated.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:29 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Statues are not history (I suggest a book). Nor do they, there again by your admission, explain any history or historical context.

People cause historical events though.

Statues are history.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

So the Iraqi people shouldn't have tore down the statues to Saddam? Why should they be obliged to keep the eyesores standing?

Removing the Jim Crow era statues is a way of reclaiming those spaces. They were raised to celebrate heroes of white supremacy, removing them shows that ideology is defeated.

I would have put that statue in a museum.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:35 pm

Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

There's lots of them, they don't all need preserved.

Further some of them can be melted down and used to make more reasonable public displays to remember the history. Instead of a tribute to Saddam, a tribute to his victims. Instead of celebrating Confederate generals, celebrate local civil rights icons. Hell, mention where the materials were sourced if you want to remember the entire history but don't try to pretend that a memorial to Nathaniel Bedford Forrest raised in a black majority community by the Daughters of Confederate Veterans was ever intended as anything but antagonism.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Further some of them can be melted down and used to make more reasonable public displays to remember the history. Instead of a tribute to Saddam, a tribute to his victims. Instead of celebrating Confederate generals, celebrate local civil rights icons. Hell, mention where the materials were sourced if you want to remember the entire history but don't try to pretend that a memorial to Nathaniel Bedford Forrest raised in a black majority community by the Daughters of Confederate Veterans was ever intended as anything but antagonism.

Well now we're getting somewhere. We've gone from statues being used to celebrate people, to statues being used as memorials to not all statues of Saddam needing to be preserved (implying at least some are worthy of keeping for historical value).

I personally find the one of the statues of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest stupid as hell too so perhaps that one should be turned into a local laughing stock? It brings me on to my next point. If the statues are of such bad people, why are they not looked at as relics from the past with some element of disgust but left alone? Why not drop off birthday cards calling the person represented by the statue a dick head every year if people dislike that person so much?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:48 pm

Nades wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Statues are history.

Sure, people are involved in historic events, but they are not the event.

How are statues history? What did a statue do? And by your own admission, you have never learnt from a statue.

But why are you defending the symbols of white supremacy. You are really defending those symbols should be kept?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:54 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Statues are history.

How are statues history? What did a statue do? And by your own admission, you have never learnt from a statue.

But why are you defending the symbols of white supremacy. You are really defending those symbols should be kept?

Someone who causes the even it just as important as the event itself.

Are you implying that statues are not history? Then in that case why rip them down for previous historical acts that the people they represent committed? Statues are always a record of the person and what they done. Should someone so please, they can always read about them after seeing a statue.

If that person who's a symbol of white supremacy has done something of historical importance then yes.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 6:06 pm

Nades wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Statues are history.

Someone who causes the even it just as important as the event itself.

Are you implying that statues are not history? Then in that case why rip them down for previous historical acts that the people they represent committed? Statues are always a record of the person and what they done. Should someone so please, they can always read about them after seeing a statue.

If that person who's a symbol of white supremacy has done something of historical importance then yes.

Statues are not historical records. I have seen the statue of Sir Issac Newton. It only had his name. It gives no indication of anything historical. Same for Winston Churchill and Cecil Rhodes. However, books are a different matter. I even learn about people that have no statue. Historical figures should have books written about them. They do not need statues.

If a statue was placed to symbolize white supremacy because the society supported white supremacy, but later that society changes and denounces white supremacy, they are not allowed to take down those symbols? Why are you so against a society from removing symbols of white supremacy?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 6:08 pm

Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

Well now we're getting somewhere. We've gone from statues being used to celebrate people, to statues being used as memorials to not all statues of Saddam needing to be preserved (implying at least some are worthy of keeping for historical value).

I personally find the one of the statues of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest stupid as hell too so perhaps that one should be turned into a local laughing stock? It brings me on to my next point. If the statues are of such bad people, why are they not looked at as relics from the past with some element of disgust but left alone? Why not drop off birthday cards calling the person represented by the statue a dick head every year if people dislike that person so much?

You seem to be missing the point, people are entitled to remove eyesores that serve only to antagonize the community.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 7:39 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
And if that history is racist and still celebrated?

I'm struggling to think of anyone's history that doesn't contain racism and horrendous crimes against others. This is strangely focussed on one particular set of people don't you think?

Jiheisho wrote:
Are you saying the society cannot reevaluate its position on racism and white supremacy?

No.

funeralxempire wrote:
Are white/Anglo people who condemn historical racism practices within Anglo societies actually waging war on Anglo people when they don't automatically side with the people who look like them?

Not necessarily for condemning historical racist practices. I'm referring specifically to the attempt to deny certain historical figures the right of context, it's part of a much larger campaign to rewrite white history as nothing more than a series of war crimes against everyone else, who are totally innocent. It's been going on a lot longer than just this statue thing.

Are they actually waging war? Yes, though the vast majority don't know it and are just following the crowd.

funeralxempire wrote:
Should they still align themselves with that bloc even when their interests aren't aligned?

Probably. Whatever utopian vision they want to believe in, history suggests their future safety and prosperity usually depends on the safety and prosperity of their kin relative to other kin groups. Actively working against it is working against themselves.

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not even sure kinda looks like me is a particularly good indicator that someone else has interests aligned with my own.

It very much was back in the tribal days. It's still a fair indicator today, though less so.

funeralxempire wrote:
Even if it might be deeply ingrained, it's utterly useless and distracting so it shouldn't be encouraged. If it isn't useful it shouldn't be promoted or normalized.

Alas, human societies can only be built on people, not reason or logic. Politics can capture and direct the ethnic impulse, but they do not create it and propaganda cannot erase it.

funeralxempire wrote:
A state with a multi-ethnic makeup is practically obliged to embrace a common national identity beyond a mere ethnic identity.

A state with a multi-ethnic makeup is a fancy way of saying "(mini-)empire" and is doomed to the fate of all empires - low level strife, civil war, dissolution and everything in between. Many empires have tried to implement a form of civic nationalism - that common identity, it has yet to prevent the destruction of any of them. As I've said to you before, blood identities are stronger.

funeralxempire wrote:
Trying to embrace ethno-nationalism that treats part of the citizenry as less than full members of society harms that state and that society in the long run and it does this whether it admits to doing so or not.

Yes, but...
Obviously positive action to create ethnostates is indeed damaging to the empire, but what if the empire is doomed regardless. The choice may not be whether separatism, but whither separatism can be civilised, we all know what the uncivilised version looks like.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:34 pm

Mikah wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
And if that history is racist and still celebrated?

I'm struggling to think of anyone's history that doesn't contain racism and horrendous crimes against others. This is strangely focussed on one particular set of people don't you think?

So, because racism is common, the racial problems the dominate group that has systemically encoded in society should not be addressed? We should not work at the large social issue in society first, but look at all of them regardless of their significance, and address them all at once? Strangle logic.

But at least we agree that taking down symbols of white supremacy is the prerogative of our society.

Last edited by Jiheisho on 22 May 2021, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:35 pm

Mikah wrote:
Yes, but...
Obviously positive action to create ethnostates is indeed damaging to the empire, but what if the empire is doomed regardless. The choice may not be whether separatism, but whither separatism can be civilised, we all know what the uncivilised version looks like.

I don't believe that historically states always coalesced along ethnic or kin lines. That's certainly not the story of western Europe, or central or eastern Europe, or western Asia, or south Asia, or central Asia. Many Amerind societies were happy to assimilate black and/or white fugitives they encountered.

There's moments where coalescing along those lines appears to be the case and there's moments those lines are reset. The boundaries between Welsh/Britons, Anglos and Danes within England started to erode after the Norman Conquest. The boundaries between Normans and English eroded later. Many European states have histories of assimilating differing ethic groups, sometimes many times over. They dress funny or they talk funny or they look funny has never been a defining trait that prevents peoples from realizing common interests.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 9:23 pm

Mikah wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
So what exactly is the real problem?

That, in this world, there is no lasting unity for Man - at least nothing beyond the superficial. Sufficiently dissimilar people will compete, displace, and war against each other given proximity.

Depends what you mean by "sufficiently dissimilar." Humans do have a tendency to split up into gangs that fight with each other over scarce resources. (By "gang" here, I mean any group of people organized to force its will on others; the gang could be anything from a street gang to a national government.) But what characteristic defines the gang can vary widely. Could be race, could be religion, could be language, could be ideology, could be something as superficial as clothing style or color, or the length of one's hair.

One way to counteract the ganging-up tendency, at least on a local level, is extreme heterogeneity. For example, I think autistic people are best off living in highly multicultural neighborhoods with immigrants from all over the world and no one dominant ethnic group. In such a neighborhood, you don't have to worry too much about "fitting in," because there is nothing to fit in to, beyond basic courtesy.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 22 May 2021, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 9:29 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mikah wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
So what exactly is the real problem?

That, in this world, there is no lasting unity for Man - at least nothing beyond the superficial. Sufficiently dissimilar people will compete, displace, and war against each other given proximity.

Depends what you mean by "sufficiently dissimilar." Humans do have a tendency to split up into gangs that fight with each other over scarce resources. (By "gang" here, I mean any group of people organized to force its will on others; the gang could be anything from a street gang to a national government.) But what characteristic defines the gang can vary widely. Could be race, could be religion, could be language, could be ideology, could be something as trivial as clothing style or color.

One way to resist the ganging-up tendency, at least on a local level, is extreme heterogeneity. For example, I think autistic people are best off living in highly multicultural neighborhoods with immigrants from all over the world and no one dominant ethnic group. In such a neighborhood, you don't have to worry too much about "fitting in," because there is nothing to fit in to, beyond basic courtesy.

:Like:

:heart: