Multiple nooses force closure of Amazon construction site

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:23 pm

Amazon closes US construction site after seven nooses discovered

Quote:
Amazon has closed a construction site in Windsor, Connecticut, after seven nooses were discovered there in the past month.

The retail giant is offering a $100,000 reward for more information on the nooses, the first of which appeared on 27 April, hanging from a steel beam of the building.

Five more ropes that resembled a noose were found throughout the building two days later, but Amazon kept construction going until a seventh noose was discovered on Wednesday afternoon.

Nooses are a symbol of racial terrorism that evoke the more than 4,384 lynchings of people of color by white people which occurred in the US from 1877 and 1950. There was an increase in occurrences of nooses being used as an anti-Black intimidation tactic after Donald Trump became president, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Representatives of the organization planned to talk with workers at the construction site to hear their concerns.

Carlos Best, an ironworker at the construction site, said at the press conference that he’s “seen a lot of racism” on the job, including “racial remarks” made about Black people.

“This is not the only construction site that these things occur on, and it has to stop sooner or later,” Best said. “I enjoy coming to work and doing my job, but I don’t enjoy experiencing racism on the job.”

Amazon said it is putting in place new security measures at the site during the closure, which began on Thursday and is expected to last at least until Monday. The reward money was also increased to $100,000 from $50,000.

The Connecticut state police and agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have examined the site.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:35 pm

Obviously, something must be done about this crap.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:44 pm

Bit hasty to associate it with racism. If it had been burning crosses - that's somewhat more obvious. But the nooses could be for anyone, it's much more a symbol of capital punishment than racist lynching. It could easily have been "Eat the Rich" types who hate Bezos or folks disgruntled with the disruption Amazon has brought.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:11 pm

They are all racist. :mrgreen:

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2021, 1:35 am

Pepe wrote:

(To the "Everything is Awesome theme)Everything is racist, everything is full of bigotry

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 May 2021, 1:53 am

Mikah wrote:
Bit hasty to associate it with racism. If it had been burning crosses - that's somewhat more obvious. But the nooses could be for anyone, it's much more a symbol of capital punishment than racist lynching. It could easily have been "Eat the Rich" types who hate Bezos or folks disgruntled with the disruption Amazon has brought.

That's cultural context.
Here, noose is mostly associated with suicide - and this meaning would fit situation of Am***on's workers quite well :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 2:00 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
Pepe wrote:

(To the "Everything is Awesome theme)Everything is racist, everything is full of bigotry

As requested:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:19 am

In the US nooses are associated with lynching. Lynching in turn is associated with racism.

But why racists would target Amazon I have no idea.

Amazon is a corporate juggernaut that inspires hatred in many. But not for racist reasons. Its run by a White guy. It exploits all of its workers with equal ruthlessness regardless of skin color.

So Mikah could be right. It could be folks other than White surpremacists who are doing it. Anti corporate types.

So they may have been "failed terrorists". Tried to send one message, and inadvertently sent another.

Nothing worse than an inept terrorist!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 May 2021, 5:37 am

^ sounds probable.

naturalplastic wrote:
I'm not so sure of that part, though. I definitely prefer the terrorists who accidentally blow themselves up in their quarters, before getting to the intended crowded place ;)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 7:44 am

magz wrote:
^ sounds probable.
naturalplastic wrote:
I'm not so sure of that part, though. I definitely prefer the terrorists who accidentally blow themselves up in their quarters, before getting to the intended crowded place ;)

True.

The best kind of terrorist is one that blows himself up away from other victims.

These might better be termed "communicationally impaired terrorists".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 6:17 am

I'm assuming a disgruntled white employee isn't happy about Amazon's diversity hire.

Nothing like a noose to trigger African Americans. The perp knows what he/she is doing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 6:23 am

In this case though have they confirmed the nooses are related to white supramacism.

Just in my head I wonder if the message was more they are not paying workers a living wage, and thus may as well hang them, though I do know ot the association of that kind of thing with racism.....but with the limited info I cannot really tell which intent it was. But Idk I just don't see why amazon would specifically end up as a target for neo nazis, I mean they are great at exploiting their workers for low play and aren't nazis into abuse of well meaning citizens? So if anything they should totally support amazon.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 23 May 2021, 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 6:36 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
In this case though have they confirmed the nooses are related to white supramacism.

Just in my head I wonder if the message was more they are not paying workers a living wage, and thus may as well hang them, though I do know ot the association of that kind of thing with racism.....but with the limited info I cannot really tell which intent it was. But Idk I just don't see why amazon would specifically end up as a target for neo nazis, I mean they are great at exploiting their workers for low play and aren't nazis into abuse of well meaning citizens? So if anything they should totally support amazon.

I mean that's possible but the perp who did the deed can't be ignorant that their handiwork was only going to trigger African Americans who were working in the construction site and black Amazon staff. I don't think Jeff Bezos could care less.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 6:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I mean that's possible but the perp who did the deed can't be ignorant that their handiwork was only going to trigger African Americans who were working in the construction site and black Amazon staff. I don't think Jeff Bezos could care less.

Alright idk what happened here, I never actually posted that it was confirmed as white supremacism, I wasn't sure if it was that or not, the second part of the post is what I typed but that first line....idk like someone somehow went in and changed my comment making it look like it was still from me idk how but yeah that is not what I posted.

I posted that I know there is an association with nooses and white supremacists, but wasn''t sure if this was that because also amazon abuses its workers and maybe someone was trying to make a statement about that with the nooses. Sure I may have been wrong on that if it was indeed confirmed as white supremacism...but no I id not know that when posting and had I known if that was confirmed I would not have offered up the alternate idea that perhaps someone was trying to point out amazons abuse of workers. I mean I could be mistaking maybe I just mistyped somehow but idk is a pretty big mistype so I am certainly suspicious someone tampered with my post.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 4:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
perhaps someone was trying to point out amazons abuse of workers. I mean I could be mistaking maybe I just mistyped somehow but idk is a pretty big mistype so I am certainly suspicious someone tampered with my post.

That's ok. Actually all avenues should be explored. Like the dude who shot all the Asian girls was actually a sex-addict instead of a racist.