Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2021, 6:35 pm

Is it common for those with Autism to also struggle with things like heartburn and GERD?

I'm brand new here, and new to figuring out about autism.

I recently found out this last year that I pretty much am sure I have autism (doc is quite sure, have family history of it), and I am almost 40. I also have been struggling with heartburn problems, and have had IBS issues all my life. I had to get on a prescription antacid for it, but it seems those with autism can have stomach issues too I was reading. Do any of you also struggle with this on top of the autism?

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2021, 7:26 am

Yup. Runs on my mom's side of the family. I'd love to start eating healthier, but that is much easier said than done when the local diet largely consists of this :P

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2021, 7:50 am

I've been on Nexium for years and I have IBS, which I take a probiotic for but anything greasy or spicy, sends me to the bathroom.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 8:10 am

Lady Strange wrote:
Is it common for those with Autism to also struggle with things like heartburn and GERD? ...
Only in relation to my ex-wife's cooking.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 8:46 am

Yeah. I have had acid reflux problems. Have found that mask wearing in a job that is physical in its nature has exacerbated the symptoms somewhat, but good luck getting a doctor to agree with that as well. Aside from that, here is what I won't eat or drink now:

-Mild roast coffees... I do find the folgers flavors to be best on my stomach and I didn't used to drink coffee until my child was born.
-BBQ sauces. On occasion I might, but definitely not as regularly as I used to
-pizza. Nothing more needs to be said as to why
-chocolate. It does seem on occasion that a chocolate cupcakes or mousse is fine, just not chocolate itself.
-most cheeses. Marble cheddar is ok on occasion
-ice cream
-sausage or bacon- leaner pork like pork chops or tenderloin is ok.
-high sugar foods. Cereal and most breads are out. Careful with selecting yogurts to eat. Honey is substituted as a sweetener for coffee.

I have found my bathroom habits to be much better now compared to cutting certain foods out. Found myself less gassy and bloated as well. Generally feeling better. But a cup of coffee from McDonald's or Tim Hortons (especially Tim Hortons) can ruin it for me.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I have also found similar foods that make it worse, including pizza and coffee with caffeine.
A way that I've found to eat some BBQ sauce without it being too bad is mixing a little with blue cheese dressing, seems to work for me.

I had to get back on the script because it was pretty miserable being off it, even water seems to trigger it sometimes depending.

The American diet in general is not conducive to a healthy digestive tract, very true!