Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2021, 11:00 pm

I am sure this is a big deal for us all. I had THE. Biggest. validation of my life last night. I went to dinner with a group of friends that were extremely close several years ago. We hung out weekly while our kids played. Something happened with some of the kids that stopped our meeting. Not too long after that, after my toxic mold illness (mycotoxosis) became very challenging for me, I became suicidal. I tried to reach out and was unsuccessful, both at getting any help from my friends and in ending my life. After that I turned off the group chat and ignored them all. Lots of life happened and last week I popped in and saw that several were moving, two of them out of state and a gathering was planned. I had put aside my pain years ago but just had never reconnected with the group. So, I gathered all my courage and told them that I was planning on going to their gathering. First, I got a very cheerful response. Then while we were there, chatting as if no time or bad feelings and circumstances had happened, I mentioned that I think that both my son and I are on the spectrum. I got an overwhelming confirmation that they saw it long ago. :heart: I was so touched and encouraged by that! My own family, aside from my husband, haven't been half that encouraging and supportive! I just had to come here and share with you all. I have turned the group chat back on, and even though they can get overwhelming at times, I'm trying to stay up with it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:13 pm

That's very good news. It's nice when the people around you believe what you tell them.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2021, 10:56 pm

It's very nice! I sent my mother a couple YouTube videos about females with autism and she said "I don't see it." :o :? :(

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:11 am

Ceallaigh wrote:
I am sure this is a big deal for us all.

It's not. Speak for yourself.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 2:52 am

That was uncalled for, Starkid.
When someone is celebrating receiving some much-needed validation, why must you call them out over the wording of their post?

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

23 May 2021, 7:20 am

Ceallaigh wrote:
It's very nice! I sent my mother a couple YouTube videos about females with autism and she said "I don't see it." :o :? :(

Sometimes a person is so invested in the person they THINK you are that they are completely unable to see the person that you ARE. My parents are the same way about a lot of things with me, which is why I haven't brought up even the possibility of autism.
And, as someone who is just figuring all this out for themselves too, I can totally understand that feeling of validation when someone else sees it too. Thank you for the little light of hope in that post. Maybe everyone doesn't feel that way, but those of us who are on the same (or a similar) path totally do.
I'm glad you could reconnect with good people.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2021, 10:18 am

OkaySometimes wrote:
Ceallaigh wrote:

Sometimes a person is so invested in the person they THINK you are that they are completely unable to see the person that you ARE. My parents are the same way about a lot of things with me, which is why I haven't brought up even the possibility of autism.
And, as someone who is just figuring all this out for themselves too, I can totally understand that feeling of validation when someone else sees it too. Thank you for the little light of hope in that post. Maybe everyone doesn't feel that way, but those of us who are on the same (or a similar) path totally do.
I'm glad you could reconnect with good people.

Thank you for your positive and affirming remark! It really helped after that other one. :heart: I hope we can all get the validation we need to be encouraged to be our true selves. I'm lucky to have some good friends and a husband who "get" me.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2021, 10:20 am

MrsPeel wrote:
That was uncalled for, Starkid.
When someone is celebrating receiving some much-needed validation, why must you call them out over the wording of their post?

Thank you for your kindness!