Juror in Casey Anthony acquittal now backflips

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 12:36 am

It was one of the most controversial murder acquittals in US history and now, almost a decade since Casey Anthony walked, a juror involved has revealed he regrets the decision to let her go free.
In a case that gripped not just America but the whole world, Anthony stood trial in 2011 over the 2008 death of her two-year-old daughter Caylee.
Anthony was accused of murdering her daughter in 2008 before dumping her body in a Florida swamp near her Orlando home because she was an inconvenience to her lifestyle.
To this day Anthony has maintained her innocence, claiming she does not know who is responsible for Caylee’s death.
Speaking anonymously to People, one male juror said the Anthony trial was “traumatic to think about” as he wished “I had done a lot of things differently”.
The decision not to convict Anthony of her daughter’s death “haunts me to this day” and he wished he had been able to “push harder”, the juror said.
“I think now if I were to do it over again, I’d push harder to convict her of one of the lesser charges like aggravated manslaughter. At least that. Or child abuse,” he told People.

Here's a picture of Anthony when given not-guilty

Here's poor little Caylee
The juror said he still thinks of the Anthony trial “at least once” a day and gets a “pit in my stomach” when he sees pictures of Caylee, whose death is still considered unsolved.
“It all comes flooding back. I think about those pictures of the baby’s remains that they showed us in court,” he said.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 1:06 am

The people in the juror knew she was guilty but couldn't vote it because of what was presented in court. I remember reading the jurors were not happy with their verdict.

This feels like another OJ Simpson trial in history.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 4:44 am

League_Girl wrote:
The people in the juror knew she was guilty but couldn't vote it because of what was presented in court. I remember reading the jurors were not happy with their verdict.

Yes although OJ got his just deserts and was thrown in jail later. Casey Anthony is a psychopath and was allowed back into the community. Her case reminds more of the Bolger murder case where the two child killers were permitted back in public and the community were never told.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 9:42 am

The way she disposed of the child’s body tells it all.She was dumped like trash in a garbage bag.Left to be eaten by wild animals and exposed to the elements.
Then Casey went partying and got a tatoo meaning beautiful life, not her daughters name or face.
If she had been buried wrapped in her favorite blanket with a special toy ,I would have believed it was a tragic accident like a pool drowning.That would have shown remorse and sadness.
You don’t toss something you love out to rot in the open.I’ve never tossed a dead pet out like that,I bury them with love,
with flowers around them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 1:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yes although OJ got his just deserts and was thrown in jail later. Casey Anthony is a psychopath and was allowed back into the community. Her case reminds more of the Bolger murder case where the two child killers were permitted back in public and the community were never told.

OJ had to commit another crime to go to jail but he is not in jail for murdering his wife.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 1:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The way she disposed of the child’s body tells it all.She was dumped like trash in a garbage bag.Left to be eaten by wild animals and exposed to the elements.
Then Casey went partying and got a tatoo meaning beautiful life, not her daughters name or face.
If she had been buried wrapped in her favorite blanket with a special toy ,I would have believed it was a tragic accident like a pool drowning.That would have shown remorse and sadness.
You don’t toss something you love out to rot in the open.I’ve never tossed a dead pet out like that,I bury them with love,
with flowers around them.

The fact she had chloroform makes me think what if she only meant to keep her asleep but the tape and other stuff was a buffer for in case she wakes up and her mom is still partying. Seeing all these happy videos of her child makes me think the baby sitter cancelled and Casey was too selfish to cancel her plans so she did this and then her child dies so knowing she will be at fault for this, she makes up a story and doesn't report her missing right away because she had to think of a story to make up.

This still doesn't excuse what she did and she should have been punished. Plenty of people have gone to prison for manslaughter because of their stupidity or poor impulse control and not thinking of their actions at the moment.

Did they not show the evidence in court of the bag and rope and tape? If I saw that presented in court along with the videos of her child and photos of her with her, I would have voted for manslaughter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

OJ had to commit another crime to go to jail but he is not in jail for murdering his wife.

That's true. But OJ is a marked man. Casey Anthony slipped back into the community unnoticed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Seeing all these happy videos of her child makes me think the baby sitter cancelled and Casey was too selfish to cancel her plans so she did this and then her child dies so knowing she will be at fault for this, she makes up a story and doesn't report her missing right away because she had to think of a story to make up.

It's interesting that most people came to the same conclusion except the juror? I am wondering if lack of motive was not the issue but lack of evidence connecting Casey with the disappearance?