Are aspies actually BETTER at knowing they're being lied to?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 7:44 pm

A lot of what I've read here is just so darn true, and definitely reflective of my own experience.
Like some of the other Aspie folk who have replied, I too went through a long period of cynicism and "trust, but verify" (the famous Cold War dictum) when dealing with NTs.
And of course, I couldn't have spontaneously accurate intuition in less-than-truthful situations to save my life. (figuratively speaking)
Which is where the "verify" part came in. Of course, in most cases I couldn't ask the other person for evidence or "can you prove that?" kind of responses to requests with ulterior motives, because the person could get irate or even in a couple of instances in my young adult years, threaten me with physical violence.
But those kind of people tend to be sociopathic anyway, so if I walked away and never dealt with them again, so much the better for me :)

I will also add a further consideration: in a lot of social situations, like workplace politics or college/uni settings, we tend to find ourselves disconnected from "the grapevine", or informal channels of communication - it's almost like a Catch-22 - and because of that, we don't get to find out that you shouldn't trust Joe Brown or Jane Doe or such, so we have no reconnaissance.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:18 pm

Jayo wrote:
I couldn't have spontaneously accurate intuition in less-than-truthful situations to save my life. (figuratively speaking)

If it's any consolation, I saw a study that found the judgement of police officers as to who was lying and who was telling the truth (as judged purely by the subjects' behaviour during questioning) was barely better than random chance. The police can't all be Aspies. Though I suppose the article's author could be lying. It's hard to tell.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2021 ... e-is-lying

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 1:54 pm

My gut is naïve and gullable beyond sense.
But I've been burned so many times so I'm quite caucious, almost paranoid.
But my first reaction is always believing and trusting.
Sooo... I'm all over the place.

/Mats

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not my experience.

Yes, I was naive as hell as a kid and as a young adult.

Now as a "mature" person I am much more cynical. It means I am more aware but not innately better. Now I assume people are lying or have some ulterior motive more often than they are. That is not being more skilled.

I still have not figured out if people were laughing with the Sheldon character from the Big Bang Theory or at him. My instinct is laughing at him which when I express that opinion cause near-universal shock and consternation.

So am I NT? :roll:

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
So am I NT?

Yep, but don't worry - there'll soon be a thread saying the exact opposite, so then you'll be an Aspie again.

(Sarcasm about the contradictions that go on here - not aimed at you).

Sarcastic yes but a lot of truth.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2021, 4:52 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I'm very hardened: the minute someone violates my trust or abuses my goodwill, they're kicked out right away with no possibility of rejoining.

But haven't your parents violated your trust over and over again? Shouldnt they be out of your life forever? You seem glad that you have finally earned their respect, and that they like you now. That is strange to me. I trusted my parents for a long time, but when I finally realized the degree to which they have f****d up as parents, my relationship with them deteriorated once and for all. And I have no desire to fix it. They do, but I just coldheartedly ignore it.

Same in many other situations, I trust by default, but once disappointed, I lose all positive feelings and they don't come back, even if people try to get me back.

I have a friend, quite like you, suspicious by default (really bad childhood), and he keeps saying that he looses trust easily, but I keep noticing that he is seeking approval of those same people that have ruined his childhood. He doesn't admit that, but then he gets upset when his parents don't write to him for a long time. Weird! I dont get upset about that, even though my parents havent been as bad as his.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 8:32 pm

cornerpiece wrote:
But haven't your parents violated your trust over and over again? Shouldnt they be out of your life forever? You seem glad that you have finally earned their respect, and that they like you now. That is strange to me. I trusted my parents for a long time, but when I finally realized the degree to which they have f****d up as parents, my relationship with them deteriorated once and for all. And I have no desire to fix it. They do, but I just coldheartedly ignore it.
Yes... But I already came up with a "punishment": not having kids of my own. Thus depriving them them of grandchildren from me, and effectively killing the family tree below me, along with the family last name. (My older sister changed hers when she got married.) Therefore, "justice" has been served, and no further action or reaction is necessary. I didn't directly tell my parents I wasn't having kids because of them, I just said I was happy being childfree until the day I die, although I hinted that "childhood is a very miserable experience, and I don't want to put a person though it". Either way, the end result is the same. For years in the past, they told me they wish I had kids, but I stood my ground politely but firmly; now they made peace with my decision, but I'm sure they secretly wish I'd change my mind. And when I die, the state can bury me, for all I care.

The above applies to my extended family too, since they always, always, always took my parents' side, scolded me for objecting to being mistreated, and often joined them in the emotional abuse too.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 8:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I recall my first grade teacher hated me...cause I'd always question the wrong things she said. But I didn't think I was being rude I just thought some of the stuff she said was wrong so simply pointed those things out. But also I didn't like that teacher either cause she kept trying to make me read baby books when I was already reading national geographic magazines and science encyclopedias. And she'd just gaslight and tell me I couldn't possibly read those things and kept pushing the baby books that I was way past that level of reading already.

I mean I was reading national geographic articles about the rest of the world and interested in that, and my teacher kept trying to push books where the plot was just 'Sam walked to school' can you read the sentence of sam walked to school...and it was like yeah sure, but also most books and reading material are much more interesting than if sam can walk on the mat or tie his shoe or whatever else sam was doing in those stories. I mean sure I was 7 so perhaps the teacher really did think I was full of crap...but I really was reading national geographics and science encyclopedias at that age so I was pissed when adults tried to tell me I couldn't read those things or understand them...when I was reading and understanding those things.

My experience exactly. I was disbelieved and ridiculed till, in 2nd grade, they did achievement tests and found out I could read at grade 12 level. That shut them up.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2021, 7:08 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
But I already came up with a "punishment": not having kids of my own. Thus depriving them them of grandchildren from me, and effectively killing the family tree below me, along with the family last name.

Cool. I like that. I did the same. Im kinda glad my genes do not continue. It already feels like Im doing something good for humanity :)