Is marrying certain groups frowned upon in your family?

Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How does your family view marrying/dating certain groups?
Allowed without any restrictions 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Allowed but certain groups preferable over others 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Allowed but certain groups frowned upon 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Greatly discouraged for certain groups 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Forbidden 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:08 am

The prohibition against inter-racial marriage was issued by my father, who has since passed away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2021, 1:50 am

My wife looks "white", but she is Turkish. She converted to Christianity in college, but I wouldn't care if she decided to become Muslim again. Her family are practicing Muslims, but they are the kindest people, not at all dogmatic. They are little more conservative than Americans and Europeans regarding dress (her mom doesn't like her putting pictures of herself in a bathing suit on facebook) but open minded compared to the average. I don't think it would be possible for a conservative Turk to marry a conservative American.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 3:31 am

Fnord wrote:
The prohibition against inter-racial marriage was issued by my father, who has since passed away.

Did he pass away after you met your wife or before?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 3:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Does he wear a scarf and beanie? that would complete the outfit

I think he may have at least had the beanie cannot remember if he had a scarf or not, but yeah he hated our cold weather in colorado during the summer. I mean for sure on hot summer days I feel it gets too hot here, and on those days he was still complaining of how cold it was. I don't want to make it sound like all he did was complain because he was in good humor about it but yeah he thought we were all insane wearing shorts and stuff in what he thought was colder weather. Like I think he enjoyed the experince of like coming to america as a foreign exchange student but if I had to guess he probably did not decide to move here because it was too cold.

TBH cold climates are not that big a deal if you have indoor heating in your car and house.

I did the reverse, moved from freezing cold Melbourne to live in Malaysia for 3 years....365 days a year of 90+ F degrees every day + 100% humidity. Walking outside mean't I had to have a shower every time I came back indoors.

Well I mean he was probably fine inside, but yeah he certainly commented on how crazy we were for like wearing shorts and stuff cause he still thought it felt cold outside. I mean perhaps he could have acclimated but he was just a foreign exchange kinda student so he wasn't going to be here that long either way. but while he was around it was cool or at least I appreciated his slide-show about where he was from.

Interesting....I always thought Australians were the only ones crazy enough to wear shorts in winter.

Well it wasn't winter at least not to us coloradans it was spring going into summer, but he dressed like it was winter. granted some colorado people think shorts and a hoodie is ok wear for snow outside but that is not super typical but you will see it from time to time.

Here in Melbourne every inner city male wears a Katmandu fleecy jacket with knee high shorts and colarado boots in winter, real predictable :lol:

Well perhaps some people in colorado would be better off dressing that way in the winter. seriously while living in denver and taking the buses there would be so many people with no proper winter clothes, like at times I felt I was the odd one for actually dressing for the weather. Whereas others mostly seemed dressed autumn or early spring whereas I was sitting there thinking what the hell is wrong with these people at least bring a winter jacket like I was wearing one I couldn't understand why other people weren't. Though from what I see lately maybe some of those people just couldn't afford a winter jacket because there have always been homeless there but it has increased a lot in the past few years while Trump was president.

But that is not totally it like there are places homeless people could at least get a jacket, and a lot of times it was just like younger people who were dressed like they probably could afford better winter clothes but just foregoing that to complain of the cold in the winter. It's like yeah we have winter here, it get's cold during that time and just a hoodie probably will not keep you warm enough.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 6:13 am

We are currently experiencing a cold snap in Melbourne with the coldest minimum ever recorded in May. Walking my dog I was imagining walking in snow fields.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 6:21 am

NoClearMind53 wrote:
My wife looks "white", but she is Turkish. She converted to Christianity in college, but I wouldn't care if she decided to become Muslim again. Her family are practicing Muslims, but they are the kindest people, not at all dogmatic. They are little more conservative than Americans and Europeans regarding dress (her mom doesn't like her putting pictures of herself in a bathing suit on facebook) but open minded compared to the average. I don't think it would be possible for a conservative Turk to marry a conservative American.

FWIW I consider Turks to be white people, although I certainly don't want to think that saying somebody is white should be seen as some sort of positive judgment.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 12:25 pm

Traditional Middle Eastern/Asian families are often tribal hence kinda racist when it comes to marriage.
Those who get frowned upon for marrying of someone of another group (another religion, or sect, or even another clan) would surely be frowned upon for marrying someone of another “race”, especially if she/he of a poorer country.

My parents are kinda of in that regard, my brother is engaged to a local Christian gal and they have no issue with it, nor her Christian mother had any issue with it either (well her deceased father was a Muslim, so that’s not surprising). But I am not entirely surely if they would like the idea of one of us marrying an African or east Asian, it never happened to find out.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 30 May 2021, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 12:26 pm

NoClearMind53 wrote:

Turks are Whites.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
But I am not entirely surely if they would like the idea of one of us marrying an African or east Asian, it never happened to find out.

In Arabic culture the name for blacks is Abedi which means slave doesn't it?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
But I am not entirely surely if they would like the idea of one of us marrying an African or east Asian, it never happened to find out.

Kaffir is the one I've seen, but in some contexts it means infidel and doesn't have the racial implication (afaik).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:

Turks are Whites.

That's quite variable.

Is Cenk Uygur white by most American's standards?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

No, the name for blacks is Sawda, which means black.

Racist Arabs call blacks Zenj and Abed, which both are pejoratives for slave.

However saying Arabs call blacks Abed and Zenj is like saying the name for blacks is Ni**er because whites say it.

Dont conflate the racists as being indicative of the entire culture

Master Oogway

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:

Turks are Whites.

That's quite variable.

Turk has 2 definitions:

A member of the actual ethnic group of Central Asian nomadic warriors who traveled westwards, called Turks by ethnographers and historians, or those living in modern Turkey

The issue with calling Turks white or non-white is which definition of Turk we adopt. If we adopt the definition 1 of the nomadic tribes who migrated westward and who were part of the Central Asian steppe culture then no, Turks arent white but Asian the way Mongols are.

However, by definition 2 Turks can be white since according to geneticists who study Anatolia the actual Turkish gene contribution into Anatolia was minimal; yes most people living in Turkey today still have the same DNA from the original Hellenistic people who inhabited Anatolia. The Turks diffused their language, culture and religion more than they did their genes.

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:22 pm

salad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:

Turks are Whites.

That's quite variable.

Turk has 2 definitions:

A member of the actual ethnic group of Central Asian nomadic warriors who traveled westwards, called Turks by ethnographers and historians, or those living in modern Turkey

The issue with calling Turks white or non-white is which definition of Turk we adopt. If we adopt the definition 1 of the nomadic tribes who migrated westward and who were part of the Central Asian steppe culture then no, Turks arent white but Asian the way Mongols are.

However, by definition 2 Turks can be white since according to geneticists who study Anatolia the actual Turkish gene contribution into Anatolia was minimal; yes most people living in Turkey today still have the same DNA from the original Hellenistic people who inhabited Anatolia. The Turks diffused their language, culture and religion more than they did their genes.

All of this, plus also didn't Turkic peoples tend to assimilate those they conquered so that whatever their identities were beforehand, after that point they had a shared identity.

I'd argue they make a good case against the notion that people of differing phenotypes can't form a cohesive ethnic identity.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:03 pm

salad wrote:
Dont conflate the racists as being indicative of the entire culture

Sorry I saw that on a documentary on Dubai relating to the treatment of immigrant workers. The journalist referred to the come use of the term "Abed" or "Abedi" but didn't actually say it was intended as a pejorative other than it was derogatory and demeaning,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:

Turks are Whites.

That's quite variable.

He's a funny one old Cenk. His identity is contextual as he sometimes describes himself as non-white/and or muslim in order to distinguish from the copious number of MAGAs who attack him online but he is married to a white American and often in that context identifies as a white American particularly when he talks about his children who will be identify as white when they are older.

This reminds me of Eminem who has a complicated identity but his daughter is a regular becky