Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 2:18 pm

There is an online test you might find interesting.

Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test

It is in English, I do not know if an Italian version is available. I also do not know if the test has a cultural bias.

I do know its scores are not "official", just interesting.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 3:32 am

Welcome

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:56 am

gerbillo wrote:
about an official diagnosis much
of mental health professionals here in Italy are opposed to something they don't know, I have to say that only now they are updating.

As far as I can tell, most of us in the adult autistic community do not agree with Fnord that the only way to know whether you are autistic is to get an official diagnosis. An official diagnosis is certainly desirable, if possible, and may be needed for various bureaucratic purposes. However, a well-informed self-diagnosis is highly likely to be correct.

(See Is Psychiatric Self-Diagnosis Valid? by Robert Chapman, Psychology Today, December 31, 2019. See also Self Diagnosis is Valid by Fierce Autie, June 17, 2020.)

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 May 2021, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:17 am

Double Retired wrote:
There is an online test you might find interesting.

Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test

It is in English, I do not know if an Italian version is available. I also do not know if the test has a cultural bias.

I do know its scores are not "official", just interesting.

The AQ test is commonly used as a screening tool, as part (though not the most important part) of the official evaluation process. It was used as part of my evaluation when I got my diagnosis.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 11:16 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
An official diagnosis is certainly desirable, if possible, and may be needed for various bureaucratic purposes. However, a well-informed self-diagnosis is highly likely to be correct.
Well. Before I was formally diagnosed I was pretty sure of the diagnosis but--personally--without a formal diagnosis I would always have felt it necessary to qualify it as a personal opinion.

Clearly different folk can have different viewpoints on this. I wouldn't need to have taken the MBTI test to know I was an introvert.