I would like to learn the harpsichord, but can't afford it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HacKING
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2021, 8:42 pm

I am 21 years old and have developed an interest in baroque music that I'd like to take to another level by learning an actual instrument that I'm interested in. Namely, the harpsichord. Only issue is, it's way out of my price range. How could a beginner with no experience or connections in any music scene get the opportunity to learn and practice on such an instrument?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 6:10 pm

I have no idea.

But how different is a piano, like, on the technical level of playing the thing?
Can you become a good pianist, and transfer the skill? I could imagine if you managed, based on your piano skill and your interest in harpsichords, to get into a college at which you can study harpsichord...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:54 pm

HacKING wrote:
I am 21 years old and have developed an interest in baroque music that I'd like to take to another level by learning an actual instrument that I'm interested in. Namely, the harpsichord. Only issue is, it's way out of my price range. How could a beginner with no experience or connections in any music scene get the opportunity to learn and practice on such an instrument?

Get an electronic keyboard with a harpsichord voice.

shlaifu wrote:
I have no idea.

But how different is a piano, like, on the technical level of playing the thing?
Can you become a good pianist, and transfer the skill? I could imagine if you managed, based on your piano skill and your interest in harpsichords, to get into a college at which you can study harpsichord...

From what I've heard: Piano and harpsichord have a fair degree of transferable skill, but organ is a whole new thing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 6:32 pm

The only place I've seen a harpsichord close up was in the music department at University. I sneakily played on it a couple of times (access was restricted, as they're delicate), but not enough to get the hang of it. The action feels really strange: you feel the keys sort of click as the plectrum passes the string. It's also really shallow, and obviously no variance in dynamics. So it probably takes some getting used to. Universities and conservatoires are about the only place you'll get to play the instruments without buying one, but that's for "I want to make this my career" levels of interest! I know the Horniman Museum in London used to have some Baroque instruments that visitors could arrange to play. Wonder if any other museums do that?

I have a keyboard with an excellent sample-based harpsichord sound, which I play turning touch-sensitivity "off." There's limits to the imitation, though- the action is different; there's no octave stop or lute stop; and there isn't a second manual. (Unless I get hold of a duplicate keyboard!) I can duplicate the octave stop effect with a lot of faffing around with advanced functions, so that's possible if you have the right keyboard.

There is at least one model of speciality electric harpsichord out there- the one I saw cost a "mere" £4500, which is a lot less than most real ones. It also had clavichord and fortepiano sounds, and featured multiple tuning systems.

A couple of companies seem to do harpsichord "kits"- a good deal of assembly required, but it takes the price down to more like £6000 as compared to £24000+ fully assembled. Bizzi Studio 2 Harpsichord Kit 2x8' stop - for home assembly Which is still a lot. Myself, I'd love to have about £3000 to spare for an entry-level tenor viol...

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:43 pm

Could you buy a synth keyboard with harpsichord samples programmed into it, if that will save any money?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 7:54 am

Khan academy

YouTube videos

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 2:29 pm

Like several have said above...just get an electronic keyboard- that you can push a button to go into harpsichoard mode.

The main difference between the piano and the harpsichord is that no matter how hard you bang on the keys it doesnt make the harpsichord any louder. Thats why some dude invented the "piano forte" in the mid 18th century- so you could play piano (soft), or forte (loud) on a keyboard. At some point they stopped calling his invention the "piano-forte", and just called it "the piano".

So harpsichords have two sets of keyboards -same notes -but one range of notes in loud, and the other being the same range of notes in soft.