Like language vs math?

Is it true?

What else is an either/Or

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2021, 4:02 am

Definitely true.
It's true even for NTs but NDs tend to have even more uneven profiles of abilities.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 4:50 am

In my case, I have (and have been told I have) absolutely zero social skills. Put me in an informal situation with more than one person and I'm done for.
I'm decent at technical things like computers. Computers don't change their behaviour and that's a relief!

I'm also decent at art, but rubbish at understanding the social world of art and design, so there's no career for me in that.

I'm ok at spoken language but again rubbish at body language, tone, context, etc.

Science and math is also fun but because my working memory is nonexistent, I can't keep numbers in my head. More than 3 digits and my mind starts erasing the first one by the time I arrive at the fourth.

You could say I didn't get the full package, so to speak.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 5:08 am

we can have extreme talents in one or more fields and fail miserably at others. Having one skill or extreme ability doesn't mean you can't have others as well, or that you may not be really awful at other things.

Ability charts graphed for neurotypical folks tend to show slightly wavy skill sets mostly on the same level, Autistic ability graph charts tend to show peaks and valleys.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:20 am

For me, it's strictly connected with interest.
If I'm not very interested, it's near impossible for me to learn much about that subject.

/Mats

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:59 am

Yes, as most people are. This is not exclusively an AS/ASD trait.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 10:08 pm

Theory of Multiple Intelligence

Nobody is good at everything

Some are good at nothing

Just because the IQ test is culturally biased, doesn't mean everyone is intelligent, much less equally intelligent

Just because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", does not mean everything is equally attractive

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 10:30 pm

Strengths and weaknesses? Yes we have those, more than most people I think.

Some of my probable strengths are: error-checking documents, rational thinking, diligence, computer programming (in a small way), spelling and syntax (English only).
Weaknesses: following a rapidly-spoken words especially when there's background noise, flipping from the detail to the big picture, schmooze, football, tolerance for the imperfect.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 10:54 pm

Yes we tend to have spiky intelligence profiles, but it's a but more complex than a simple either/or by topic.

For instance, take verbal comprehension, even within that area I'm all over the place. I have great vocabulary and can understand complex technical presentations and the like, yet when people are trying to hold a conversation with me I mishear, misunderstand or zone out and come across as subnormal sometimes.

So the things we are good at tend to be a narrow item within a general field. Like, being a great musician but unable to perform live, for example. Or being great at maths but unable to explain one's reasoning. Or having a detailed knowledge of car models but not being able to drive.

Neurotypicals tend to either be generally smart (across various domains) or generally a bit dumb, by societal standards. So we confuse people. They can never work out whether we're one or the other!