Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 3:24 pm

Only if..

One, no one's with me.
Two, no one's bothering me.
Three, no one's worrying about me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 6:35 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If I have to travel, and have extra time, I can sometimes enjoy the process, but I won't initiate a trip for pleasure unless it is by bicycle or small boat.

Extra time, yes. Another sad discovery I made about air travel was that after you've booked a connecting flight with a comfortable amount of overlay time between flights, the airline can deliberately alter the times and / or the first plane can accidentally end up arriving late. It's one thing if they completely scupper the chances of making the connection on time (though who knows how unhelpful they'll be when you arrive at the desk to tell them what's happened and ask for a new ticket?), but when it's not completely scuppered if you hurry, and you're not familiar with the airport layout, and you're a tad slow anyway, and you get wrong answers when you ask for directions.......that happened to me once. I caught the plane, but my heart was in my mouth particularly at the moment when some member of staff had sent me on a wild goose chase and I was beginning to suspect it was the case, and I was running out of time. I'm more careful to research the layout of the terminals now, but I've felt significantly more apprehensive about connecting flights ever since I found out that such things can happen.

I agree about a bicycle being far less dehumanising than a car. Most of the dangerous and nasty situations are unavoidable in a car, but with a bike you can escape them more often than not. I also think the physical exertion of riding a bike helps to burn off any residual stress. It's just a shame that they don't always let you take a bike on a train. Some UK trains have just 2 bike spaces, and when they're gone, they're gone. Can't book the space in advance.