Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2021, 7:53 pm

Hello,
After lurking on here for quite awhile I finally decided to join especially after learning I pretty much am sure I have autism. It explains all the difficulties I've had my whole life (sensory issues, socializing issues, fixating on certain things to basically obsess about, being just off compared to my peers but trying hard to hide it for a long long time, etc..), and have just figured out the answer (with help of my husband and doctor) after almost 40 years (I'm almost 38). Finally figured this out about 10 months ago after yet again having a nightmare of a time during 4th of July with the fireworks people love to light off (have to hide in the house with noise canceling headphones on and its still way too loud!). It stinks that it is so hard for adults to get help and a diagnosis. Been seeking out a way to maybe get a diagnosis and keep running into major roadblocks (either no one who diagnoses adults, or way too expensive). It does make me kind of irritated as its not just kids who deal with and struggle, almost seems when you are older no one really cares. Its nice to read on here and see others who deal with stuff I deal with too, and learn how you cope then help myself to cope better. Nice to meet you all! :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 9:05 pm

Welcome to WP! It's nice to meet you!

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2021, 10:33 pm

Thank you! It's nice to meet you too!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 10:40 pm

yay another one :alien: :alien: :alien:

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 12:31 am

Welcome

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 8:47 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you enjoy it here and get the satisfaction of a formal diagnosis.

I hope you've stumbled across this: Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2021, 10:55 pm

And nice to meet you! I myself struggled a lot with loud noises growing up. Most fireworks didn’t bother me as a kid except for the ones that have the high pitch scream. Feels like your ear drums are being torn apart. Hope you find a doctor that can help with receiving a diagnosis. It’s better to know for sure than not knowing at all. Welcome aboard to Wrong Planet!

Last edited by AngryJackal97 on 26 May 2021, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2021, 11:45 pm

Thank you for the kind welcoming!

I did do the Autism Spectrum Quotient test amongst some others, and that one I got like 47 out of 50. I took another test, a different one by myself then took it again with my husband helping and actually got a higher autistic score with his help.

Yeah I feel like sudden loud noise is like my kryptonite, anything from of course fireworks to thunder to loud motorcycles and cars, balloons popping yep. About a year ago went to a birthday party and spent most of it hid in the bathroom due to balloons popping. Its awful.

It would be nice to get a formal diagnosis but its proving to be difficult. It's sad how adults are kind of forgotten about with this.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:20 am

Lady Strange wrote:
It would be nice to get a formal diagnosis but its proving to be difficult. It's sad how adults are kind of forgotten about with this.

Alas it has gotten even harder this past year, due to the COVID lockdown. Some systems have been developed for diagnosing people via Zoom, but not all therapists who are qualified to diagnose adult autism use these systems. (And some of us, such as my boyfriend, would not be able to handle a Zoom session anyway, due to sensory issues.)

In the meantime, although self-diagnosis is not adequate for various bureaucratic purposes, a well-informed self-diagnosis is generally accepted as valid by most of us in the autistic adult community (what little we have of a community, in the sense of organized subculture). After all, you know more about your own life than anyone else does.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2021, 7:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Lady Strange wrote:

Alas it has gotten even harder this past year, due to the COVID lockdown. Some systems have been developed for diagnosing people via Zoom, but not all therapists who are qualified to diagnose adult autism use these systems. (And some of us, such as my boyfriend, would not be able to handle a Zoom session anyway, due to sensory issues.)

In the meantime, although self-diagnosis is not adequate for various bureaucratic purposes, a well-informed self-diagnosis is generally accepted as valid by most of us in the autistic adult community (what little we have of a community, in the sense of organized subculture). After all, you know more about your own life than anyone else does.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Yes Covid certainly hasn't helped anything. Had to wait almost a year just to see the regular doctor to talk about what me and husband have discovered with the autism. It would be nice if it wasn't so difficult and expensive to get a real diagnosis. I don't currently have health insurance either so it would be a lot of out of pocket costs (here in USA). I think the only thing an official diagnosis would do would be to confirm what has been finally figured out.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:26 pm

Greetings and hello unto you fellow autistic citizen..

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jun 2021, 8:09 pm

Hello and thank you!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

welcome

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 7:46 pm