Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2021, 5:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are times when not focusing on what's depressing you---is a surefire way out of depression.

And not judging one's self too much helps as well.

This.

And as someone who drinks sometimes watching TV is not the same thing. At all.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:11 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The veterinarian is a woman, by the way.

And no, there's nothing wrong with watching TV. Some of us have agoraphobia, photophobia, scopophobia or other reasons why we don't want to "get out in the sun". Watching TV can be relaxing especially after a mentally taxing career such as veterinary science, and the life-death of people's pets. TV can also be informative and educational.

I don't think we are here to criticise anyone or to make them feel worse when they are already experiencing depression.

I hope the OP vet is doing well.

Like I said several times already, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with watching TV for entertainment. But it is harmful as a way to cope with depression, because fundamentally it doesn't really help with any aspect of depression, but makes it worse. Short term fun and relaxation often makes your depression worse. It applies to watching tv just as applies to drinking alcohol or using drugs.

Just replace "watching tv" with "using heroin":

IsabellaLinton wrote:
And no, there's nothing wrong with using heroin. Some of us have agoraphobia, photophobia, scopophobia or other reasons why we don't want to "get out in the sun". Using heroin can be relaxing especially after a mentally taxing career such as veterinary science, and the life-death of people's pets. Meditative sensation of supreme tranquility giving you ability to painlessly contemplate your issues experienced under influence of heroin can also be informative and educational.