why some find the sound of others eating so irritating

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 7:20 am

Quote:
Scientists have shed light on why everyday sounds such as chewing, drinking and breathing can be so maddening to some people that it drives them to despair.

While the familiar munching and slurping of the dinner table are innocuous enough to most, those with misophonia – literally a hatred of sound – can find them profoundly irritating, to the point that they become disgusted, anxious, angry and even violent.

Now, brain scans performed by researchers at Newcastle University have revealed that people with misophonia have stronger connectivity between the part of the brain that processes sounds and the part of the so-called premotor cortex which handles mouth and throat muscle movements.

When people with misophonia were played a “trigger sound”, the scans showed that the brain region involved in mouth and throat movement was overactivated compared with a control group of volunteers who did not have the condition.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... irritating

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 11:22 am

I once ate at a restaurant with a lady who stated she had misophonia. Right next to our table, there was a family with a cute two year old making two year old noises - talking too loudly, for instance. My companion started making snide remarks and then started swearing. The father of the kid was taken aback - "he's ony two, you know". I had to convince my table to calm down because I didn't want a fight erupting.

While a kid talking loudly in a restaurant is bad behavior, an adult swearing (in front of a kid) is even worse behavior, in part because the adult knows better. The whole situation left me uncomfortable.