What happens to the virus if more people are vaccinated ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:29 am

I still find it hard to believe that by 21st June the UK government will scrap restrictions and that the epidemic is over. I seem to remember seeing on the vaccine calculator that full herd immunity in the UK won't be reached until September. Even though we now have vaccines and people are being vaccinated, I am starting to feel this sense of doom and fear of history repeating itself like it did leading up to the second wave we had in December and January but people have kept telling that it won't be as bad because many people will be fully vaccinated even though right now there are still people in their 40s, 30s, 20s, teens and older children who are not. I seem to think the virus decides to change targeting groups usually the elderly and then move on to the younger groups and make them more vulnerable. I keep reminding myself of when I saw this program about the Spanish flu and that during the second wave most people who died were between the ages of 20 and 40. I don't know if that's because a virus evolves very fast into a mutation that effects the younger groups badly than what its original form did with the elderly and vulnerable. I remember reading about the SARS virus of 2002 to 2003 and finding out that was a corona-virus like this one, only it was more severe and less contagious than this and by 2004 and 2005 it was no longer around without a vaccine. Will that happen with this one ?

Last edited by chris1989 on 25 May 2021, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:35 am

The virus will still be around, and people will either (1) get the vaccines yearly, (2) rely on "herd immunity", (3) build up their own immunity, or (4) deny the virus exists even when they or a loved one dies from it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:48 am

It’ll simply mutate and people will have In affective jabs and the affects from that

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 10:59 am

I do sometimes think when will it get to a point where treated any other viruses and won't be of concern like flu is and can go about our lives without having to worry like I do about the person behind me on a bus coughing without a mask on. I feel because we have got so used to these two metre rules, mask wearing, and so on, the world without that will be unusual.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2021, 11:47 am

I don't think the English government has fully. In 8 areas with the Indian variant going around hasn't got the same guidance in place as others at the moment. I think it will be based more on case by case but I presume some normality will return soon, at leastvin the south west with low cases

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 1:57 pm

The virus slows its spread. Even if we dont get herd immunity immediatley. There will be fewer potential hosts. Less of the virus itself. Fewer viruses means fewer mutations. So the number of strains will also multiply more slowly.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 9:00 pm

Chris 1989. I think the keeping the distance is a respectful and hygienic thing! also ordinary flu can be harmful as well for those with low immunity not just this virus. Theirs other new strains apparently already. Whom knows what will happen next.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:35 am

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like the people who don't want to catch the virus, are being extra cautious when restrictions are lifted.

chris1989 wrote:
I keep reminding myself of when I saw this program about the Spanish flu and that during the second wave most people who died were between the ages of 20 and 40.

Well I don't know about the UK, but here in the US, most states have already had at least two or three waves.
Some states, like Wisconsin, had it a little weird...they kind of skipped the first wave somehow, and then got hit REAL HARD when the second wave came.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 6:04 pm

There are times when I keep thinking to myself what happen's if 100% of the globe is vaccinated despite people saying you can still catch and pass it on, well will it still do that even if we reach that number ? I find it frustrating when some people make out as though we are going to be in a pandemic for the rest of time even in history other pandemics have faded over time and the world returned to normal after the Plagues and the Spanish Flu. I even seem to think the covid laws and restrictions will last forever.