Is it worth going to Texas to shoot a feature film?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:29 am

I am in Canada and I've been wanting to shoot a feature film, hoping to break into the business more that way, since I want to get into directing more. But it seems impossible to shoot because of the mask laws, unless you want to make a movie wear actors are wearing masks throughout the whole thing.

I talked to some other filmmakers in the network and some said come to Texas to make the movie, no mask laws there. But I am worried that if I do, and hire actors from there, around there, that they may all have accents which may affect the setting of the story.

But the filmmakers said actors can do different accents easily. But I wonder if they can. For example, whenever I see a movie with actors like Matthew McConaughey, or Woody Harrelson in, they always retain their accents, no matter where the movie is set. Unless this is just a choice by the directors, and they could easily switch off the accents if they were asked to?

So I am wondering does that mean it's difficult for a lot of actors to do so, or what do you think, if it comes to hiring out actors in an part of the world like Texas for example?

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2021, 12:01 am

Hmmm. Not all of us have southern accents. I'm a Texan, born and bred as we say. I have lived in Israel and NY but most of my life has been spent here and most people say I don't sound like I'm from the south. Many people in DFW, Austin, Houston, the big cities don't have too thick of accents.

So I guess it depends where you go, if you go to far west or east you get heavier accents. I also believe most actors are trained to do different voices. I know Austin is a good place to go if you want help with film stuff in Texas, there's a big studio there. And if you're into anime or want voice actors funimation in DFW is a good place.

Also, a word of warning about the mask law being lifted here. Many places and communities are still requiring masks. It's up to the discretion of each establishment etc. I've only seen a few people maskless in the last few weeks and I live in DFW.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:34 pm

Isn't the backdrop of Texas going to affect the setting of the story, as obviously as the accent?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:57 pm

Oh well the script needs to be set in a large city, and Texas has large cities so I didn't think that would be affected unless I am wrong?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh well the script needs to be set in a large city, and Texas has large cities so I didn't think that would be affected unless I am wrong?

How big do you need? Isn't Calgary a lot closer?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 11:13 pm

Is it a lot closer like real close to me, but they got the mask wearing laws, where I was advised that Texas does not.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 11:50 pm

ironpony wrote:
Is it a lot closer like real close to me, but they got the mask wearing laws, where I was advised that Texas does not.

Are you ready to shoot immediately? It might not be much longer before it's not an issue locally which would save you a bunch in terms of money. If you're ready to shoot immediately it might be better to wait, especially if you're many weeks away.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 12:43 am

Ready to shoot somewhat soon. But the restrictions have gotten worse where I live so I thought things were getting worse, rather than better. Plus I don't think they will actually lift the mask law in the next few months, but it seems like the next few years maybe.