Does getting drunk make you interesting to other people ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 11:40 am

As I may have said on other threads, most of the time I don't drink except on occasions like birthdays, Christmas, and so on. I seem to think that when you are intoxicated with drink amongst friends are therefore more interesting than if you were sober which I seem to think is ridiculous and surely doesn't really matter. I mean comedians don't usually get completely hammered during their performances except maybe a few of them did. I have never been drunk especially on my 18th, 21st or 30th birthdays and I seem to think, to other people that is weird and maybe you have problems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 1:35 pm

It usually makes you seem stupid to other people.

I have a friend who can't hold two beers. He gets really stupid after the two beers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 4:17 pm

I haven't been drunk, don't like taste of alcohol, might as well be drinking rotting vegetable juice, but back in the day I did go to some high school and college parties where a number of people got drunk: they didn't get interesting to me but they did get disgusting.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 4:18 pm

I find drunk people disgusting and pitiful. At worst, dangerous.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 4:23 pm

It can make you (and them) less inhibited. This can be a good thing or a bad thing...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 6:26 pm

I've never been drunk before in my life. :oops:

I shouldn't be embarrassed, but society makes it shameful for some reason. I suppose I come across as boring or goodie-two-shoes.

But I don't drink for the following reasons:-
1. I have vertigo so even a couple of drinks will make me dizzy
2. I have a phobia of vomiting
3. I worry about becoming aggressive or embarrassing if I was drunk (apparently alcohol affects everyone differently)
4. I like to be conscious and self-aware, in control of my actions
5. I am on antidepressants

But I suppose reasons to drink would be:-
1. I will suddenly become fun and interesting to my NT peers
2. Going on a night out will feel less boring and intimidating

Can't think of any more, which proves that getting drunk is just a stupid waste of time.

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2021, 6:32 pm

It's a social lubricant, but it helps significantly if everybody is drinking. Then everybody's at the same level of outgoing/stupid.

Being tipsy (not very drunk, but drunk enough to be affected by it) can work around sober people, as long as you're just a bit more lively and outgoing than usual, but being very drunk can seem offensively obnoxious to any sober people you're with. It can cause slurred speech, erratic behaviour, and the spouting of absolute nonsense. This is fine if everybody's drunk because within that little bubble of drunkenness it temporarily becomes the baseline. To anybody else it might just be kind of annoying.

So it doesn't (well, doesn't usually, but I suppose theoretically could in the right circumstance) make you more interesting to others, but it might make other people more interesting to you if you're drunk, and it might allow for a collective bonding experience in which everybody is more social and so has a more interesting/open time with each other.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 6:34 pm

No.
Being drunk doesn't make someone more interesting to people.

More like being drunk makes someone more interested to people.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:48 am

chris1989 wrote:
As I may have said on other threads, most of the time I don't drink except on occasions like birthdays, Christmas, and so on. I seem to think that when you are intoxicated with drink amongst friends are therefore more interesting than if you were sober which I seem to think is ridiculous and surely doesn't really matter. I mean comedians don't usually get completely hammered during their performances except maybe a few of them did. I have never been drunk especially on my 18th, 21st or 30th birthdays and I seem to think, to other people that is weird and maybe you have problems.

Maybe to people who are heavy drinkers who having nothing else better to do and no I have been drunk before only to find that it turns others off. Why? I tend to get really loud and obnoxious.

That said, I lived with two roommates who were heavy drinkers who didn't like me very much because I was a lot younger and was the rookie as a result therefore they didn't care about me. I was just there to help with chores and bill. Anyway, one time, I decided to get drunk at one of their parties which had a Mardi Gras theme thinking they would like me more. What a joke that was, my roommate, who hosted the party got mad at me and did and said some very rude things. In fact, she didn't want me at that party at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 11:09 am

It can. If anxiety interferes with one's ability to socialize, alcohol can help with that. There's a reason it's called the social lubricant.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 8:36 pm

For a lot of people, this is a dose-dependent function. I enjoy a single drink, but one's my limit. When I was much younger, I used to drink to excess at times. It's not worth the hangover. One friend told me, approvingly, "You're FUN when you drink!" but frankly, I've always been too self-centered to care whether someone else finds me fun or not. So to sum up: a little drinking may be beneficial, but too much is bad.

And driving under the influence, or throwing up at somebody else's house, are disgusting.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 12:15 am

I imagine it would make me interesting, all right. Probably a really good thing that one, I fear being judged by others so much, two, I can’t stand the taste of alcohol and haven’t found anything I can’t taste it in (regardless of what other people insist), and three, am now on medication where I wouldn’t just get sleepy or throw up if I had alcohol, I’d be in the hospital with multiple organ failure. Never had more than a sip or two of anything alcoholic (I think one time I went all the way up to three sips) to know, but I don’t want to know what I’d be like, I’m bad enough as it is if you get me going on the wrong topic :oops:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 12:19 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I’m bad enough as it is if you get me going on the wrong topic :oops:

Which topics would those be? :chin: :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 12:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It usually makes you seem stupid to other people.

I have a friend who can't hold two beers. He gets really stupid after the two beers.

I'm just slurring a bit* after those 2 beers and am not drunk or stupid, geesh.. :)

ps, when I was 16 people found me more interesting drunk, but my early 20's they no longer did, and by 50 I finally figured this out.

* I think this is ADHD related, I totally mumble when sober.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 7:52 am

As a non drinker I find people who are drunk just annoying. You can't have a sensible conversation with them.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:11 am

I tried that.

It didn't make me interesting to other people.

So I tried it again, and got even more drunk.

It still didn't make me interesting to other people.

So I tried it again, and got really, really, really drunk.

It still didn't make me interesting to other people.

It did make me an alcoholic, though.