I've been offered the COVID vaccine

Page 1 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 5:21 am

I just received a text from the NHS saying I am at the top of the queue for getting the vaccine.

I am shaking. What if they make a mistake and give me the one that causes blood clots in younger women taking the contraceptive pill?

I'm scared of the side effects too. What if it makes me vomit? I have an extreme phobia of vomiting and I refuse to put anything into my body that has even the tiniest chance it could cause vomiting (hence why I don't drink alcohol).
I'm scared of other possible side effects. Tiredness or headaches are fine as I can live with those, but what if I get a severe reaction to it like flu-like symptoms?

More people I know had called in sick at work due to reactions to the vaccine than haven't. Are there ways I could ease the side effects, such as taking painkillers?

What if I get a seizure from the vaccine or something? I'm scared. I don't know if I can go through with it.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 5:26 am

Have you had bad side effects after taking other vaccines? If not, then it's less likely that you'd have them from this one, either. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 6:05 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Have you had bad side effects after taking other vaccines? If not, then it's less likely that you'd have them from this one, either. :)

I had a bad reaction when I had the MMR vaccine when I was a baby. Apparently I had a fever and then got a severe ear infection that made me feel ill. Probably gave me this sh***y Asperger's as well.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 6:15 am

It has caused an argument between me and my boyfriend. He says I'll have to move out if I don't get the vaccine, which is a bit harsh because he's had both his vaccines, so he's protected, and if he does get COVID he shouldn't get ill. Having the vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus, it just lessens the severity of the symptoms. So what's the problem? If he's that scared of dying then why does he smoke with COPD????

I've tried reassuring myself by looking on Google but I don't know what's misinformation and what isn't. Some people I know are against the vaccine. One person said that he's seen what they put in it and it isn't good. Another person said simply don't get the vaccine. Another person said they got ill for 4 days after the vaccine. It's all very off-putting. I don't want it. It's always about saving lives, but we're all going to die someday anyway, all the vulnerable people are protected now, why are younger people being pressured into having the vaccine then being put off by misinformation?

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2021, 6:21 am

Fireblossom wrote:

These injections are a technology based on messenger RNA.
This has not been used before and as such should not be
compared to conventional vaccines with regard to adverse events.

Quote:
Moderna's vaccine platform inserts synthetic nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) into human cells using a coating of lipid nanoparticles. This mRNA then reprograms the cells to prompt immune responses.

Quote:
Latest CDC Data Show Reports of Adverse Events After COVID Vaccines Surpass 200,000, Including 943 Among 12- to 17-Year-Olds

VAERS data released today showed 227,805 reports of adverse events following COVID vaccines, including 4,201 deaths and 18,528 serious injuries between Dec. 14, 2020 and May 14, 2021.

The number of reported adverse events following COVID vaccines surpassed 200,000 according to data released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The data comes directly from reports submitted to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS).

VAERS is the primary government-funded system for reporting adverse vaccine reactions in the U.S. Reports submitted to VAERS require further investigation before a causal relationship can be confirmed.

Every Friday, VAERS makes public all vaccine injury reports received as of a specified date, usually about a week prior to the release date. Today’s data show that between Dec. 14, 2020 and May 14, a total of 227,805 total adverse events were reported to VAERS, including 4,201 deaths — an increase of 144 over the previous week — and 18,528 serious injuries, up 1,338 since last week.

Source

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 6:30 am

Is this vaccine just dangerous and deadly to 12-17-year-olds, or am I at risk of dying from the vaccine? I need the most reliable and reassuring information as possible, as my boyfriend is getting very angry with me for not booking it. Help me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 6:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
Is this vaccine just dangerous and deadly to 12-17-year-olds, or am I at risk of dying from the vaccine? I need the most reliable and reassuring information as possible, as my boyfriend is getting very angry with me for not booking it. Help me.

Why would it be? Tens of millions of people have been already vaccinated with the vaccines available in UK and they are okay.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 6:45 am

magz wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Why would it be?

Read my first post. All my anxieties are explained there. I am absolutely terrified. I was just about to book it when I read the possible side effects on the NHS website, and one of the side effects was vomiting. I'm sorry, I cannot go through with anything with even the tiniest chance I could vomit.

I feel there is nobody to talk to who will give me positive reassurance. I've tried phoning the doctor but the surgery is closed. And talking to the nurse giving me the vaccine isn't good advice because usually nurses these days are moody and just want you in and out. Some are stubborn and intimidating.

I'm shaking. I'm having a panic attack. My boyfriend temporarily hates me until I book a vaccine. Help me, I have an anxiety disorder, I need support and empathy.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 7:35 am

People are extremely bad at risk assessment. Yes, there are risks, but a lot of things you do everyday have magnitudes or order higher risks for your life and health, yet you don't give two s**ts about those things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 7:56 am

I had the Moderna vaccine.

All I had (mostly from the second shot) was about 24 hours of very slight flu-like symptoms, though with no fever. I didn't even come close to vomiting. I had (very) slight pain at the injection site, too. I didn't call in sick; I walked 10 miles, then went to work.

My 86-year-old, immunocompromised mother had very little ill effects from the vaccine (she took the Pfizer). She probably had even less side-effects than I did.

Millions of people have gotten the vaccine with very little ill effects. As far as I know, you (Joe) are not immunocompromised, nor have any underlying conditions. Your boyfriend has underlying conditions, and did well with the vaccine.

No, the MMR did NOT cause your Aspergers.

Please go take the vaccine, Joe.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Millions of people have gotten the vaccine with very little ill effects.

Hundreds of millions.

You'll do fine with the vaccine, Joe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:01 am

LOL...over a billion, actually, worldwide! About 1.7 billion, I believe.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:02 am

badRobot wrote:
People are extremely bad at risk assessment. Yes, there are risks, but a lot of things you do everyday have magnitudes or order higher risks for your life and health, yet you don't give two s**ts about those things.

If I worried about every potential risk then I wouldn't go anywhere, would I? However, there are some things I am avoidant of that has a potential risk. Like I refuse to walk anywhere alone when it's late at night. I refuse getting drunk because of the fear of having a hangover. I don't have any tattoos or piercings anywhere on my body. I'm always careful when taking meds, I like to find out all I can about meds before taking them. It took me 4 years to pluck up the courage to go on Sertraline. But at least with meds you can stop taking them if you experience unpleasant side effects, but when having an injection you can't get the injection out of you once you've had it.

I am more wary of taking risks if I know what they are, like an anticipation fear. A bit like with loud sudden noises; 9 times out of 10 I jump less when I'm not expecting a sudden loud noise, but if I am expecting a sudden loud noise I become terrified of it and do my best to avoid it. Same with inserting strange chemicals into my body.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:15 am

Because of the vaccine, daily cases of COVID in Queens County, NYC went down from over 1,000 to under 100, in the space of a month or so.

About 2-3 months ago, the UK had about 500 deaths per day. Now, it's been under 20 deaths every day for the past 2 weeks at least. Frequently under 10 deaths. The vaccines are working.

Just like any other vaccine, it causes (in the vast, vast majority of cases) mild side-effects. I don't know anybody who called in to sick from work after getting the vaccine. Nobody on my job did.

The day I received the (second) vaccine, I walked about 13 miles, and went to work. The day after the vaccine, I had slight flu-like symptoms---but still walked 10 miles and then went to work.

After my first shot, my symptoms were much milder. A few hours of slight wooziness, that's it.

I am a 60-year-old man with asymptomatic prostate cancer.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 8:24 am

Joe90 wrote:
magz wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Why would it be?

Read my first post. All my anxieties are explained there. I am absolutely terrified. I was just about to book it when I read the possible side effects on the NHS website, and one of the side effects was vomiting. I'm sorry, I cannot go through with anything with even the tiniest chance I could vomit.

I feel there is nobody to talk to who will give me positive reassurance. I've tried phoning the doctor but the surgery is closed. And talking to the nurse giving me the vaccine isn't good advice because usually nurses these days are moody and just want you in and out. Some are stubborn and intimidating.

I'm shaking. I'm having a panic attack. My boyfriend temporarily hates me until I book a vaccine. Help me, I have an anxiety disorder, I need support and empathy.

I have read your first post.
I'm afraid I'm not great at the kind of reassurance you seem to expect - I approach such topics facts-wise.
Which vaccine are you offered? I had my first shot of Moderna two weeks ago and all I felt was a slight ache in the arm and some fatigue.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:25 am

I give you a hug, too, Joe

{{{{{{JOE}}}}}}}

Your boyfriend just wants you to be safe.