5 Oregon Counties vote to join Idaho

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 10:55 am

Five rural counties in liberal Oregon vote in favor of leaving state for more conservative Idaho

Quote:
Five rural counties in Oregon voted this week to press forward with a plan to leave the state and merge with neighboring Idaho, the latest move in a long-shot campaign by conservatives who say they’re fed up with Oregon’s left-leaning politics.

Voters in Baker, Grant, Lake, Malheur and Sherman counties — sparsely populated areas in the state’s eastern half — approved ballot measures Tuesday requiring local officials to consider redrawing the border to make them Idahoans.

Behind the push is a nonprofit called Citizens for Greater Idaho that argues the predominantly Republican parts of Oregon would be better served if Idaho incorporated them. The group’s president, Mike McCarter, says the expanded state he envisions would become the country’s third-largest in terms of landmass.

The votes in favor of the idea reflect a deepening of divisions between the state’s urban and rural populations that has become more pronounced in recent years. Democrats in the state have flocked to densely populated counties in the west, while Republicans have expanded their majorities in the east.

McCarter has called the effort “a peaceful revolution” and a way “to gain political refuge from blue states” in interviews with the Oregonian. He claims that relocating the border could bring tax benefits to both states and ease some political gridlock in Oregon.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 11:43 am

It won't happen.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 7:27 pm

The "United" States of America eh?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 11:17 pm

Idaho, aka Utah on Crack

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 12:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Idaho, aka Utah on Crack

Idaho is not majority Mormon like Utah. Though the Utah Mormon culture spills over into the neighboring states (southern Idaho, and northern Arizona).Maybe southern Idaho should merge with Utah to the south.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:56 pm

One part of Southern Oregon is acting like a state all its own
alongside a part of Northern California south of it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 10:06 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

That map in the article of the proposed "Greater Idaho" goes WAY beyond what I would have expected from the headline about "five rural counties". The headline makes it sound like they just want Oregan east of the Cascades to join Idaho (even that would be more than just those five counties). But the map shows this hypothetical state reaching the Pacific coast, AND crossing the state line and including a sizable chunk of northern California (probably the area you're talking about)as well. That would leave only a tiny corner of the northeast coast of present day Oregon as "Oregon", and make Idaho a HUGE state - and a state with a seashore.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

That map in the article of the proposed "Greater Idaho" goes WAY beyond what I would have expected from the headline about "five rural counties". The headline makes it sound like they just want Oregan east of the Cascades to join Idaho (even that would be more than just those five counties). But the map shows this hypothetical state reaching the Pacific coast, AND crossing the state line and including a sizable chunk of northern California (probably the area you're talking about)as well. That would leave only a tiny corner of the northeast coast of present day Oregon as "Oregon", and make Idaho a HUGE state - and a state with a seashore.

Is the OR-CA state the one they call Jefferson?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 5:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Is the OR-CA state the one they call Jefferson?

Yes.