Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 10:55 am

I recently encountered Karl Friston's work on Curt Jaimungal's Theories of Everything where he had nearly a four-hour discussion with Karl about the systems, neural network, and now perhaps neurological and self-organizing systems 'free energy' principal (ie. maximum reduction thereof) and discussing self-organizing systems from the perspective of Bayesian mechanics and in particular the roles that Markov blankets and Markov boundaries play in separating internal and external states, where internal states are effected by external ones but in a gated way, ie. intake and processing in terms of Bayesian inference.

This talk and others like it make me think I'd love to hear him and Mark Solms have a discussion, particularly as Mark Solms has been pushing ideas out that a) consciousness is from small structures in the mid-brain and not from the cerebral cortex let alone prefrontal cortex and, perhaps more importantly for their shared ground b) that emotion both comes from the mid brain AND serves a homeostatic function. It seems like the process of Bayesian inference in living systems is suggested - in Friston's ideas - to serve both survival (internal vs. external) and homeostatic (internal vs. internal) functions.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin